Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX "Grey screen of death" ?

OSX "Grey screen of death" ?
WhitE_RabbiT-PB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 12:13 PM

It seems that more and more frequently I'm getting this self proclaimed "Grey screen of death." Basically, my whole screen gets shaded, so to speak, with a little box in the center. It tells me in about 4 different languages that my computer needs to be restarted, and it tells me how to do so, by holding the power button. This screen just comes out of nowhere. It seems there is no constant action that causes it.

I have run Cocktail with no avail.

Any ideas what is up?
WhitE_RabbiT

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 12:23 PM

That is a Kernel Panic. It is indeed the screen of death.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 12:43 PM

check the contents of /Library/Logs/panic.log

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2004, 03:44 PM

Apple Support: What's a kernel panic?

If you're getting frequent panics, it may be indicative of a hardware problem. The most common cause is bad third party RAM.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 09:54 PM

Resolving Kernel Panics
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html

Bad Ram & Kernel Panics
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.h...r-Kernel-44484

Ram could be Loose

Dr Mac Kernel Panics and Disk Warrior
http://www.macobserver.com/columns/r...20030912.shtml
Tiger 10.4.8

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 02:50 AM

Maybe Apple should add some euphemistic term to the KP box so that people could describe it accurately without being panicked themselves. Perhaps it should be titled "Manual Restart Notification."

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 10:22 AM

That's called a Kernel Panic, and it is indeed analogous to the Blue Screen of Death.

If you're having them frequently, then it is almost certainly a hardware problem. spiky_dog mentioned a file at /Library/Logs/panic.log; this file contains information about each Kernel Panic you have. If you could post the last couple of entries (you can tell where an entry begins by looking for a date and time), it would be a great help; many of us here can read these well enough to have some idea of what is going wrong.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jeffB
Oct 15, 2004, 03:10 PM

I just got my first ever Kernel Panic.

I was using Mail, Colloquy, iTunes (thanks for nothing Talking Heads), and Excel.

The only thing in /library/logs/panic.log that isnt a date or memory location is
"com.apple.ATIRadeon9700"
3 dependancies: IOPCIFamily, IOGraphicsFamily, IONDVRSupport.
can my video card do that?

I'm willing to bet it was the new ram i installed over 10 days ago.

the log has another panic from 2 months ago that I don't remember. I would remember. It lists the video card there too.

dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 03:45 PM

I got this problem over the summer with my PowerBook 12' Rev A. It happened several times a day during a week. I was working at the time in a room that was very hot.

Does anyone know whether outside temperature has an effect on the frequency of kernel panic? Since I am using it back in a 'normal' temperature room, I have not more problem.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by dopik:
I got this problem over the summer with my PowerBook 12' Rev A. It happened several times a day during a week. I was working at the time in a room that was very hot.

Does anyone know whether outside temperature has an effect on the frequency of kernel panic? Since I am using it back in a 'normal' temperature room, I have not more problem.
How hot was the room? It's possible for a processor to have stability problems if it gets too hot, but a room hot enough for that to happen isn't healthy for humans either. That's not just a Mac problem, either; it happens with PCs and even larger computers.

Were you using the computer on top of a carpet or blanket or something? The other possibility I can think of is if the computer was on something that would cause it to trap heat from the processor, which would make it get even hotter.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by jeffB:
I just got my first ever Kernel Panic.

I was using Mail, Colloquy, iTunes (thanks for nothing Talking Heads), and Excel.

The only thing in /library/logs/panic.log that isnt a date or memory location is
"com.apple.ATIRadeon9700"
3 dependancies: IOPCIFamily, IOGraphicsFamily, IONDVRSupport.
can my video card do that?
In theory, yes, though it was more likely the video card's driver. You mentioned iTunes; were you running a visualizer? If so, which one?
I'm willing to bet it was the new ram i installed over 10 days ago.
This is possible, though I'd think that you would have seen crashes much sooner after installing the RAM if it was really the RAM's fault.

jeffB
Oct 19, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
In theory, yes, though it was more likely the video card's driver. You mentioned iTunes; were you running a visualizer? If so, which one?
I wasn't using a visualizer.

jeffB
Oct 19, 2004, 01:41 PM

now it has locked up 3 times, no grey screen of doom, running 4 or less programs, panic.log hasnt changed, but iTunes keeps playing. Can it be too much heat from 2 Gig o RAM, even though the fans arnt kicking on? The only way I can get the fans to start going is if I start playing in Celestia (which is an awesome program).
Either way I'm going to take out one of the 1 Gig sticks tonight.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by jeffB:
now it has locked up 3 times, no grey screen of doom, running 4 or less programs, panic.log hasnt changed, but iTunes keeps playing. Can it be too much heat from 2 Gig o RAM, even though the fans arnt kicking on? The only way I can get the fans to start going is if I start playing in Celestia (which is an awesome program).
Either way I'm going to take out one of the 1 Gig sticks tonight.
Probably more likely to just be dodgy RAM.

jeffB
Oct 25, 2004, 03:18 PM

the apple hardware test said everything had passed, imma try taking out one of the 1gig sticks. so i could just be too much heat generated from the ram?

SADANGRYFACE

Forum Links
Forum Rules