Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Your DOA setup

Your DOA setup
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 09:02 PM

Since people rarely show their broken iMacs and eMacs I thought it was time for it to happen. This isn't just to show off the result of aging or defective parts but to give others a heads up of trouble on the way.

Try to give a thorough description of what went wrong.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 11:17 PM

Hmmm .. I've bought 3 macs in my life (2 iMac DVs and 1 eMac). They're all still running (the first one has a burnt out firewire port and I gave it to friend who really needed a computer, does that count ??)

exiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 03:50 AM

its not a imac/emac but i had 2 iBooks doa from the apple store (1 never made it to me so technically its only 1 doa) the first one apparently had a big scratch on the LCD they noticed when installing my airport card. the 2nd one had a faulty charging electronic system, the little glowing ring would always stay amber. the Apple genius put a battery in that was 90% charged, let it charge (i got to play with the stores test 17 inch PB) waited a while still was amber so they swapped it out and gave me a brand new one. this one's been chugging along since the date in my sig. knock on wood. hopefully my 20 inch imac doesnt come doa. knock on wood.
12 Inch G4 iBook | 256 MB Ram | 30 GB Hdd
Purchased January 24, 2004

ApeInTheShell  (op)
Senior User
Oct 11, 2004, 05:45 PM

I guess most people do not like talking about dead computers. Most want a solution.

I couldn't get around to taking pictures but here are my DOA/broken Macs:

The Power Mac 6100's monitor is broken and we have had to replace the battery at least three times. (1994-1999)

The iMac DV has a broken usb port, a fuzzy display which makes it almost impossible to see and two scratches at the top. It is still alive. (1999- )

iPod is dead due to battery and hard drive failure. (2001-2004)

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 05:59 PM

you have good luck, ey Ape.

boardsurfer
Oct 11, 2004, 10:41 PM

My first iMac fell victim to my daughter putting coins in the cd drive. There are still a few in there I cant get out. Actually all is functional except for the optical drive. It did have a dead FW port early on, but I suppose I have been lucky.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 02:33 AM

I guess coins in the cd drive is one way to kill the drive but how did everyone else kill their macs that came with no problems. Even my oldest mac, a powermac 7100/66 still works fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules