Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying first Pbook, would like some insight from users

Buying first Pbook, would like some insight from users
antizero
Oct 12, 2004, 06:12 PM

Hi guys - this forum has been a HUGE help in my Mac conversion over the last 6 months. I don't post much, but I pop in regularly to search for answers to questions. I bought an iMac G4 several month ago and have been nothing but happy. Now I think I'd like a Powerbook in addition to the iMac for portability - people stare when I lug a 40lb desktop into a meeting (jk).

I'm perfectly happy with OSX performance and related software, so I don't need any advice/criticism, suggestions there, but I have some hardware concerns with Powerbooks.

First - heat and heat damage. I'd most likely get a used system, 15" Albook 1GHz or something similar in that price range. I've read lots of topics here and elsewhere regarding heat from Powerbooks, making them very hot to the touch. I need to be able to use this thing for 12-15 hours/day - 50% reading documents, 50% working in processor-intensive applications - is it going to hold up? I know it's buyer-beware with used hardware, so let's just assume we're talking about something out-of-the-box. Do Powerbooks have the staying power to be work machines for prolonged periods fo time?

Second - case concerns. Is paint peeling still an issue with the aluminum books? And how often do the hinges really go bad? Cosmetics aside, I need something that can hold up to travel. I had a Toshiba laptop where the plastic case cracked in two places, and I have no idea how (kept it in a padded hard case, and babied it). It didn't effect the computer's operation, but made it creaky and felt "flimsy" - every time I moved it I thought it was going to fall apart. I'm not rough with my hardware - I baby my equiment - but it has to travel well.

I'm not overly concerned with battery consumption, as I can always buy a second battery and I don't intend to be unplugged often - I just need a portable machine. It might be nice to make it through a DVD movie, but not necessary.

Any advice or suggestions while shopping would be greatly appreciated. I'm confident I can make an educated decision - but I respect a lot of the opinions on here and it's always nice to get a few last minute comments from users.

LORL
Oct 12, 2004, 06:29 PM

Well, I can comment on the heat issue.

I have been in a library now for about 2 1/2 hours, and a lot of that time was spent running a game, so I would say it was pretty processor intensive. It really isn't even hot, and I can't hear the fans. The only place where it gets toasty is right above the keyboard on the bezel of the screen, but I don't know why you would touch that.

I keep my Powerbook on 24/7 since it is my only computer and it has never crashed. So, I think it can take the workload.

The only problem I have is when I sleep it a lot, mounting and stuff gets funky, so I have to reboot it. But, that takes about 7-8 sleeps in a row.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 06:45 PM

I don't find heat an issue. I never hear my fan go on, even when I'm cranking in Virtual PC.

Also, the current generation PBs seem better built than previous efforts, so I don't see too many problems with the hinge.

One thing I would say: I had a Pismo (last G3 Powerbook, black) and sent it to Applecare twice. The repairs they did more than covered for the extra cost of Applecare. To my mind Apple care is really worth it for portables.

Good luck

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 06:46 PM

dp

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 07:08 PM

First, I have to say that I am very careless on handling the computer. Personally, I don't care a little scratch, or dent, etc. I bring my PB 15" to work every day, using it 8-12 hours a day.

With that said, my PB 15" (1 year old) is still in very good condition (no visible blemish). Just got my screen replaced (white spot issue), so the screen looks as good as it was. Occasionally, the fan comes on, especially in the disk intensive work. Bottom is hot, but not unusual comparing to the other notebooks I have.

Overall, I cannot be happier with my PB.

So,
1) Get yourself AppleCare if you are worry about the longivity of your PB.
2) PB Al does not have a coating of paints to peel, unlike PB Ti. But it can be scratched like other metal. So get yourself a notebook sleeve (I have TUCANO Second Skin for my PB). It is light, and prevents scratches when it is in your computer bag.
3) Hinge should not be a problem if you open it gentlely.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 07:12 PM

My advice is based on my experience (I hope it helps). I'm a student (limited budget) so I really try to get all the juice from the machines I own. In this regard my TiPB 400 first gen has completely satified me. I know it now, but I had my doubts earlier.

This laptop will be 4 years old in April 2005, I bought it in a hurry since I needed to have a computer available in a 3 week trip to Spain. At the beginning it was a phenomenal computer but very expensive, I should have bought an iBook I thought. However, the screen was way too impressive at the day (now we take them for granted). The old OS 9 run fine on it. I later moved to 10.0.4, 10.1, Jag and now Panther. I also upgraded the HD to a 40 GB 5,400 rpm, more RAM (up to 768 MB), just bought a new batery since the three year old just did not cut it anymore. I had airport from the beginning, a bless.

Of course, it is an old system with a poor GPU and so on, but over time I consider the machine has improved (probably because OS X evolution). However, it is still as light, thin and good looking as the best PC laptop out there. Not a single problem after so long, lots of airports, lots of traveling (bring it to work every single day...), I never turn it off

It handles everything I ask (Ok, sometimes when analyzing DNA sequences, homology studies or video editing may take time). But it is a heck of a machine.

I learnt to appreciate it overtime. It ages lovely.

People should give more credit to the old G4 processor if not in speed (which is not bad at all), at least in mobility since the new batery gives me 4 1/2-5 h of life.

My next laptop will probably be a PB again. Apple deservs it.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

antizero  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 02:53 AM

Thanks alot guys! This is definitely encouraging (not that I've ever been discouraged with Apple since owning one).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 04:04 AM

Cenutrio, I see some interesting menu bar extensions up there. Could you post what they are?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Cenutrio, I see some interesting menu bar extensions up there. Could you post what they are?
menu meters

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 05:52 AM

I have a 15' PB 800 mhz. I used this as my primary computer. Sure, the newer models are much improved. I use my PB at home and at work. It is on most of the day, and it works well. For the longevity, i have not had any problems to this point. The battery still holds a full charge, and screen is still clear and colors vivid. Applecare is a nice investment, it will pay for itself the first time you need it.
As far as heat, I don't have a major problem with that. I am not a heavy user, and occasionally, i put my PB on my lap, and can feel the heat. Where I place my palms rarely gets hot on this model. My friends has a newer model 12 inch, and he mildly complains about that.
My PB is on 24/7. I put it to sleep and take it work, etc. Moreover, I leave it on for hours at work, and still no issues have happen. Overall, as with all Apple products I am pleased. Sure, I have a few scratches, although that is the acceptable for the amount of transporting I do with this laptop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules