Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting stoked for Halo 2

Getting stoked for Halo 2
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2004, 09:24 AM

I went out and renewed my Live account....Although I couldnt do a recovery because I didnt know whos credit card I put my initial account on......2 years ago.....I didnt have my own, so as bad as it sounds, I think I used my dads, but they said it didnt match up.
So I had to make a new account....Went from Daracle to The Politik.

Who else is getting back into the swing of things or are still hardcore into it.

I have to get some new games though on top of Halo 2, Nobody is playing the first Moto GP or the fist Rainbow Six.
Who reads this???

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Daracle:
I went out and renewed my XBox Live account....Although I couldnt do a recovery because I didnt know whos credit card I put my initial account on......2 years ago.....I didnt have my own, so as bad as it sounds, I think I used my dads, but they said it didnt match up.
So I had to make a new account....Went from Daracle to The Politik.

Who else is getting back into the swing of things or are still hardcore into it.

I have to get some new games though on top of Halo 2, Nobody is playing the first Moto GP or the fist Rainbow Six.
Sorry, this edit went bad...I was just going to edit the first post to say I was of course talking xbox.
Who reads this???

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 09:29 AM

Could care less about XBox Live; however, I'm excited for Halo 2 as well...

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 10:39 AM

How much is xbox live?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2004, 11:13 AM

I must be the only person who doesn't give a rat's ass about the multiplayer version of Halo 2. No keyboard and mouse = no fun. Sorry, but I'll stick with UT2K4.

As for the single-player mode, THAT I'm stoked for.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2004, 11:18 AM

I'm more psyched about single-player than Xbox Live Halo2, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2004, 11:43 AM

Is there a plan for Halo 2 on the Mac? I suppose even if it comes, it'll be another year or two.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
How much is xbox live?
In Canada you can buy the starter kit which includes the software, the headset with communicator, A years use of Live and Crimson Skies game for $99.99

So if you are in the US it is about $80.00 or so.
Who reads this???

Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 02:46 PM

Dont they have free ways to play xbox online like xbconnect or something?

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 02:52 PM

Yeah, Aquaduct is the mac part of XBconnect.

Plays online with system link games.

Can be quite a pain the ass if everyone playing does not have a GREAT broadband connection. That is cuz all System link games think they are on a lan, and do not know about the latency the internet shall have.

Oh, and I also can't wait for Halo 2!!!

Single and Xbox live!!!

If you have ever been to a halo lan party, then you know how much fun Halo multiplayer will be.

-Owl

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I must be the only person who doesn't give a rat's ass about the multiplayer version of Halo 2. No keyboard and mouse = no fun. Sorry, but I'll stick with UT2K4.

As for the single-player mode, THAT I'm stoked for.

Mike
Agreed. I can't play a multiplayer FPS without a keyboard and mouse. I've tried, but I just can't do it.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Agreed. I can't play a multiplayer FPS without a keyboard and mouse. I've tried, but I just can't do it.
It sucks to start with, but you get used to it. You can start with low sensitivity and gradually get the sensitivity nice and high, and get pretty accurate and fast with the controller. Plus in halo, the pacing is different, so its not like quake 3 where you just jump around, shoot rockets off, and hope they hit someone. You actually aim, and shoot and all that.

bbcclo
Oct 19, 2004, 03:44 PM

i just booked Nov.9th off of work.... so i'll be lining up at my local EB for the midnight opening, and then playing for a full 24hrs of bliss.

it's been really hard to restrain myself from downloading the game... but I keep telling myself that its just 3 more weeks, and playing the 'official' game will be well worth the wait.

[edit] and by download i just mean out of sheer impatience, because i've had the Special Edition pre-ordered for months. So if i did 'get it early', it wouldn't result in a lost sale or anything.
15" Ti Powerbook | 15 gig 3G iPod

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by bbcclo:
i just booked Nov.9th off of work.... so i'll be lining up at my local EB for the midnight opening, and then playing for a full 24hrs of bliss.
it wont be that good.

bbcclo
Oct 19, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
it wont be that good.
trust me... with the amount of hours I've put into the first game, couple the same gameplay with 'official' online play and i'll be a hermit for months.

i just hope i find it on Live to be just as much fun as it was playing all those LAN games with my housemates at university.

--- plus i finally got around to reading Halo: Fall of the Reach, so I'm just that much into the story this time around.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 03:52 PM

Joys of working at a toys store. halo 2 the night before and 10% off.

why not just go to wal-mart (as evil as it sounds) and get it at midnight.

bbcclo
Oct 19, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
why not just go to wal-mart (as evil as it sounds) and get it at midnight.
that's what i meant... i'll be at my local EB for the 12:01am selling of the game.

Halo is the one thing i'm truly nerdy about, I actually have some figures of Master Chief here at my desk at work...

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Dont they have free ways to play xbox online like xbconnect or something?
I know I have told you this before....But you kick ass.

Weezer Owns.
Who reads this???

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 03:59 PM

that's what i meant... i'll be at my local EB for the 12:01am selling of the game.

Halo is the one thing i'm truly nerdy about, I actually have some figures of Master Chief here at my desk at work...
right. but why not try wal-mart? I sure there won't be a line there because none of the geeks on this forum shop there.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2004, 03:59 PM

Joys of working at a toys store. halo 2 the night before and 10% off.
But the servers won't go online until the next day .

Mike

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 04:00 PM

But the servers won't go online until the next day .

Mike
servers? I'm talking single player.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2004, 04:35 PM

right. but why not try wal-mart? I sure there won't be a line there because none of the geeks on this forum shop there.
lol

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 10:27 PM

I shall be getting it at a 24/7 Walmart, though only cuz I don't wanna drive 45 mins to the nearest EB games, and then have to Drive 45 mins KNOWING I HAVE HALO @ RIGHT NEXT TO ME! Arrggg, the agony that I would be in.

But yeah, this is the one time I am happy Walmart is in my town, and that it has gotten so big to become 24/7...

-Owl

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 10:34 PM

I have taken 2 days off work, I am thinking about taking a third day, me and my friend plan on taking my surround sound system and his tv and setting it up, with some food, a couple beds and a toilet and not leaving till we feel like we have had enough of the game...

umm halo 2.... can't wait...

Zach

P.S. I am on order for the special edition, but I have been put on "2nd shipment" so i wont get it till the 16th, but my friend will get it at 12:01, so it shall be fun =)

ambush
Banned
Oct 19, 2004, 10:39 PM

I plan to become an Halo/GTA geek in the coming months...

OMG my GF is going to be mad...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 12:58 AM

I'm not all that excited for it...

I actually just bought a Gamecube instead of an XBox.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 06:07 AM

Now if I had any game system at all....

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
I'm not all that excited for it...

I actually just bought a Gamecube instead of an XBox.

Papermario 2

I spent 15 hours in one weekend on that game and still only 3 of the 7 stars in the story.
Who reads this???

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 12:56 PM

H2 is the first game in a while that I've been excited about. I preordered the special edition yesterday at Software Etc. The guy told me to pick it up Nov 9th, then a while later I looked at my receipt and noticed it listed "11-16" next to it, but hopefully I won't get any crap (I did pay in full).

I'll probably spend a few days playing single player, getting used to the new mechanics and weapons and abilities. When I have owned single player enough, I'll get xbox live and play with some friends.
Genius. You know who.

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 01:35 PM

I actually played Halo 2 this morning @ my friends house. He got that french release that got leaked. I only had about 10-15 of game time but it's nice. He claimed he was disappointed but I think he had overhyped it in his head.

**spoilers**

It starts with Master chief coming back from his victory in Halo part 1. There is a ceremony where marines are being awarded medals. At the same time you see cutscenes of an alien being punished for the loss of Halo (hardcore burning and what not). As your getting your ass kissed suddenly... It game time. Your off to defend your base (ala level 1 of Halo 1) you get to start using the dual gun action right away. Its pretty sweet. You can fire both guns at once our one at a time. Each shoulder trigger controls the left or right gun. You can drop the second gun at any time to allow access to your grenades. Very sweet and hard right off the bat. No babying you on the first level. Also very dark and having to shoot in the dark. The flashlight doesn't seem to last as long. The HUD is also different, the location of the shield level, etc. Overall can't wait to go back over and give the game some more time. Very funny in French by the way. Will be much more enjoyable in English I'm sure.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
Papermario 2.
How do you find that? im considering getting it...

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:
�me and my friend plan on taking my surround sound system and his tv and setting it up, with some food, a couple beds and a toilet and not leaving till we feel like we have had enough of the game...
Too much information.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
How do you find that? im considering getting it...
its an excellent game if you like rpg's and its not that short bout seventy hours to finish I'd say. If you're into rpg's I highly suggest tales of symphonia its so long it comes on two disc's.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2004, 02:35 PM

Got the call from the store where I ordered it. Midnight release this Monday. Good thing I don't have to be at work until Tuesday afternoon.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2004, 02:42 PM

It's been reported that some stores are selling it early. I'm going to see if anyone made a boo-boo this weekend . I'm also going to try and hunt down the soundtrack.

In the meantime, enjoy these:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=240322

Mike

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 03:04 PM

I've got mine on reserve at EB, but I'm hoping it leaks onto the net so I can FTP it to my modded Xbox.

faragbre967
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 03:17 PM

My buddy just got the game from some store way out in the boonies yesterday. The game is ****ing sweet, trust me. Legendary is a lot harder now. Dual wielding is amazing, the banshee barrel rolls now and the wraith tank is a hoss. Can't wait to get my copy.

faragbre967
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 03:19 PM

It's been reported that some stores are selling it early. I'm going to see if anyone made a boo-boo this weekend . I'm also going to try and hunt down the soundtrack.

In the meantime, enjoy these:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=240322

Mike
Shoulda read your post first. There are stores selling copies, I know a few but I don't wanna get them in trouble, they're the **** for selling it early after all.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2004, 04:04 PM

Well, if anyone knows a store in Jersey that has it, let me know.

Mike

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 04:15 PM

The store I am getting it from is opening at midnight to sell it. My lord, it ain't that good.

I told them I would come get it during the week sometime.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
The store I am getting it from is opening at midnight to sell it. My lord, it ain't that good.

I told them I would come get it during the week sometime.
Quoted. We'll see what you say "during the week" .

Mike

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 04:40 PM

I've gone off the deep end and re-subscribed to XBox Live again because of this game and got a new Linksys Wireless Game Adapter with a friend of mine the other day.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 04:41 PM

Quoted. We'll see what you say "during the week" .

Mike
Well if this was Zelda I might get my panties in a bunch but I think the first Halo is hugely overrated.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Well if this was Zelda I might get my panties in a bunch but I think the first Halo is hugely overrated.
You wear panties?

I don't know if this is going to be overrated. I haven't seen this much hype for a videogame since FF VII, and we all know how that turned out. Every magazine and web site has given it a 10.0 or barely lower.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 04:46 PM

You wear panties?

I don't know if this is going to be overrated. I haven't seen this much hype for a videogame since FF VII, and we all know how that turned out. Every magazine and web site has given it a 10.0 or barely lower.

Mike
yes I wear panties. It is not just an expression, everybody means it when they say it.

Anywho, nevermind the rating, the first one got a perfect 10 and it has so many flaws it is not even funny. Same for GTA:SA. The hype makes them lose their minds.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2004, 04:51 PM

My gripe with the GTA series is that Rockstar uses violence to mask the fact that the game isn't really THAT good. You appeal to the under-25 crowd by allowing them to beat the sh*t out of innocent people and just feed the ratings .

With Halo, I think it's a game that stands well on its own, not just for gameplay, but storyline, just the like the 3 Marathon games before it. Yeah, the game had its flaws, but the game's story and gameplay made up for it in a big way.

Mike

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 04:58 PM

My gripe with the GTA series is that Rockstar uses violence to mask the fact that the game isn't really THAT good. You appeal to the under-25 crowd by allowing them to beat the sh*t out of innocent people and just feed the ratings .

With Halo, I think it's a game that stands well on its own, not just for gameplay, but storyline, just the like the 3 Marathon games before it. Yeah, the game had its flaws, but the game's story and gameplay made up for it in a big way.

Mike

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 05:00 PM

Where are the Halo2 reviews, I couldn't find any at GS or IGN.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
I'm leaving work right now so I gon't have time to dig them up. Go to http://www.teamxbox.com and check out the Halo forum. Tons of stuff in there.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
They are only posting it on Sunday.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules