Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firewire drives - anyone had one fail?

View Poll Results: Have you had a firewire hard drive die on you?
Poll Options:
Yes 4 votes (23.53%)
No 10 votes (58.82%)
Don't own one 3 votes (17.65%)
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
Firewire drives - anyone had one fail?
neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 10:44 AM

I recently just bought an OWC Mercury 250G drive as the primary drive for my Powerbook (15" 1.5ghz). It's occasionally a bit clacky-sounding, but for the most part has been just fine. I chose this drive because of the reviews I saw online as well as a few people's recommendations.

I also have purchased OWC ram a number of times with no problems, and figured that if one item from them is good...

On one of the OS X mailing lists I'm on (osxlist.com), quite a few people have mentioned that the OWC Mercury drives "catastrophically failed" on them after a few months. Shocking! At least seven or eight people mentioned that the OWC drives were quite shoddy.

So I was wondering: how many people here own a firewire drive, for how long, and how has it performed for you? I'm hoping this thread will become a good place for people shopping for drives to find info.

If you could follow the formatting like this, it'd be appreciated:

My Drive:

Mercury 250G Firewire 400/800
Purchased two months ago
Hooked up to Powerbook 15" 1.5ghz as primary drive
No problems so far

Thanks, folks!

Neil
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 11:22 AM

Technically the drives haven't failed themselves. However, of the three EZQuest Firewire drives I'm using, I've replaced the fans in two of the units and returned one to the manufacturer for a failed power supply twice.

I'm currently in the market to purchase a 250GB firewire drive to use as a backup device for my laptop. At the top of my list of considerations is the Lacie D2 drive. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 11:31 AM

3 x SmartDisk Firelite 30G Firewire 400
Bought enclosures and put drives in myself (all between 6-12 months old)
Hooked up to iBook G3 800 as data storage & backup (connected and running 80% of the time)
No problems so far

Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 02:47 PM

I've had three, 2 from OEC 1 from EZ Quest. I'll never get an EZ Quest again the drive failed early, took months to get them to fix it, then it failed again when i did.

One of my OWC's failed..but I figured out it wasn't the drive itself but the card...so i bought a new firewire card and hooked my drive into it and its fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules