Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dual 500 vs. eMac 700

dual 500 vs. eMac 700
Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:25 AM

Hi there,

A friend of mine is studying audiovisual arts at the moment and he has an eMac 700mhz right now. But he would like to use a dual monitor set up to use with FCP which is impossible with the eMac (the videocard in the 700mhz does not support the spanning hack). So I told him to maybe switch to a second hand G4 PowerMac. Now as he is a student his budget is quite limited (actually he doesn't really have the money) he would need a powermac that is cheap. So I thought, hmm a duallie could work. So my question is: would it be worth it to switch from an eMac 700 to, let's say a PowerMac Dual 500/533 ? Or would the eMac still have an edge with his faster single CPU ?
Apps he will use mostly:
FCP 4.5 HD (main app)
Photoshop (also pretty important)
and iTunes, safari etc. (the basics)

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Hi there,

A friend of mine is studying audiovisual arts at the moment and he has an eMac 700mhz right now. But he would like to use a dual monitor set up to use with FCP which is impossible with the eMac (the videocard in the 700mhz does not support the spanning hack). So I told him to maybe switch to a second hand G4 PowerMac. Now as he is a student his budget is quite limited (actually he doesn't really have the money) he would need a powermac that is cheap. So I thought, hmm a duallie could work. So my question is: would it be worth it to switch from an eMac 700 to, let's say a PowerMac Dual 500/533 ? Or would the eMac still have an edge with his faster single CPU ?
Apps he will use mostly:
FCP 4.5 HD (main app)
Photoshop (also pretty important)
and iTunes, safari etc. (the basics)
All of those apps are multi-processor aware, so the PM would be a little faster.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 09:42 AM

The PowerMac would be better. About a year ago I went from a 1 GHz eMac to a dual 450 MHz PowerMac, and I saw only a small hit in performance. Just make sure he gets a new video card - it'll help performance and he'll need a new one anyway to handle dual monitors. There's always the $150 retail Radeon 9000, which is a good bet since most of the sub-$100 Radeon 8500s on eBay right now are only single monitor capable. Get that plus plenty of RAM (The dual 500 supports up to 2.0 GB!) and he'll have a really nice computer. I've always preferred old pro equipment over newer consumer stuff.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Powaqqatsi  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:43 AM

some extra info: If I talk about speed I mean responsiveness, responsiveness is everything. If the dual 500 renders and image 10 seconds slower too bad, as long as it responds and *seems* (feels) faster.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
some extra info: If I talk about speed I mean responsiveness, responsiveness is everything. If the dual 500 renders and image 10 seconds slower too bad, as long as it responds and *seems* (feels) faster.
Aren't speed and responsiveness sort of the same thing? Anyways, I think the "snappiness" would be about equally good/bad on those machines. If he use only one app at a time, the eMac would perhaps be a little faster and vice versa.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 10:47 AM

dualie, the video card expansion and storage expansion are worth it. plus fcp 4.5 and photoshop will benefit from dual processors.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:13 PM

I would go with a refurbished eMac 1 GHz for $549 with free shipping. With a second CRT it would make a good system. Overclock it to 1.4-1.5 GHz load it up with 1 GB ram and put in a dual layer DVD burner and you've got a kick ass system that will be both cheaper and quicker then an old dual Powermac.
Of course I'm kind of partial!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I would go with a refurbished eMac 1 GHz for $549 with free shipping. With a second CRT it would make a good system. Overclock it to 1.4-1.5 GHz load it up with 1 GB ram and put in a dual layer DVD burner and you've got a kick ass system that will be both cheaper and quicker then an old dual Powermac.
Of course I'm kind of partial!
dual monitors emacs are sweet.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules