Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Desk for G5

Desk for G5 (Page 2)
takai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 05:45 AM

Speaking about tables, i have a lot of fun when i need a new desk using alloy rods and pipe and a TIG welder. Unfortunately i dont have any pictures of desks i have built atm, but i will of the new one. I think ill go for a burnished alloy base with a sheet metal top, or maybe a vinyl leather like covered top. Or even a laminate.

Who knows, so many options when you DIY.
takai
------

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2004, 10:24 AM

I thought I would post a pic of my desk as I've gottne numerous inquiries following my posting of this pic in the PowerMac Picture Thread from folks trying to get one for themselves.

The desk is a 6' wide desk (a good foot wider than typical) and is very minimal. I purchased it at a "Storehouse" furniture location ( http://www.storehouse.com ) but I do not see it on their site, nor did I when I purcahsed it. The top and legs are separate (there are maybe three finishes for the top, as I recall) and the total cost of them together is somewhere in the area of $250 or $299. Simple, elegant and modern.

http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/g5_desktop.jpg

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

t500
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 05:22 PM

Ok I guess I�m going to seem like a big nerd after looking at all these high tech desks. I picked up a Computer Armoire at Staples for $250. It was the only one I could find could hold a G5. It has plenty of room inside. I keep my X-box and my Power book in there. The best part, I can lock it. My kids grubby little hands can only get to it when I�m there. I keep the CPU on all the time, and heat is never an issue. Just wanted to share�

Just wood, or wood like...

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Yup, hands down:

WELL PUT, DADDIO.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2004, 11:10 AM

For some reason all desks labelled as 'Computer Desk's" are just complete ASS, but almost anything else is labelled as an 'office desk system' with all the parts being both gigantic and extra expensive. All I want is to replace the old fashioned regular desk (very solid but looking tatty) in my room with something more modern looking (metal bits, perhaps a glass top). Non of the desks I could find had any draws (they where sometimes an 'extra'), and had huge flaws.

I looked for ages, in the end I decided to transform the old desk with a new plywood top (replacing the damaged particleboard one) new plywood draw fronts. Stain/varnish the plywood paint the rest. The entire job cost less then �25, the desk will now be good for another 25 years.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Oct 23, 2004 at 01:12 PM. )

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2004, 11:20 AM

FWIW, I think glass looks great but has three main problems:
1. you can see the cords running down the back
2. glass is cold, so when your hands/arms are on it (especially in winter) it can be uncomfortable
3. it smudges easily (which may or may not be a problem for you)

I'm looking at a desk real soon now, and I really want to find one with a backing so the cords are hidden. otherwise it looks like a jungle

-- james
PS I wonder if this desk thread is going to turn into the equivalent of the powerbook forums "laptop bag" thread

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 01:12 AM

You might be surprised at what you could spend on a big honken' hunk of granite. Call around to the the custom kitchen places and see if they have any deals on countertops that are flawed in some way or another. You might find a deal. You could go and find a few supports (think roman pillars or something like that) and a nice slab for under $500.

A little creativity would solve the cord problems...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 02:14 AM

This desk is perfect for me. From ikea about 5 years ago.

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
This desk is perfect for me. From ikea about 5 years ago.
But...where is Ukon Cornelius?

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

applesnapple
Nov 2, 2005, 03:11 AM

Check out this desk. http://www.freedom.com.au/wis/live/324/p/181.asp . I really really really want it.... the only thing is, its only sold in Australia and NZ, and I'm in the US. Anyone know any way to get this thing imported to the US, or a comparable equivalent to this desk in the states? I was thinkin this desk would be perfect to match my soon to be ordered 20" iSight iMac G5. This will be my first apple, and I had no idea that I would be buying furniture to match my computer lol.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 12:36 AM

I got the Ikea Jerker for my G5 and 20" Cinema display in Black/Silver and it looks awesome. The trim and metal parts match perfectly.

And it's the most solid, sturdy desk I have ever owned.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by applesnapple
Check out this desk. http://www.freedom.com.au/wis/live/324/p/181.asp . I really really really want it.... the only thing is, its only sold in Australia and NZ, and I'm in the US. Anyone know any way to get this thing imported to the US, or a comparable equivalent to this desk in the states? I was thinkin this desk would be perfect to match my soon to be ordered 20" iSight iMac G5. This will be my first apple, and I had no idea that I would be buying furniture to match my computer lol.
That desk is pretty sweet....

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 06:12 AM

I went the Do It Yourself route. I bought two extendable chrome round legs from Ikea and a large sheet of 22mm MDF.

My desk/bench is in a corner. It extends about 5 feet to one side and around 3 or so to the other (butting up to a window). I cut it out with a jigsaw (with a more rounded shape than ASCII can show);

|xxxxxxxx/
|xxxxxxx/
|xxxxxx|
|xxxxxx|
|xxxxxx|
______/

Fixed a 2x2 length of timber to the walls and the bench on top of it. Routed a large hole in the back corner for cables. Ran some filler along the join between the wall and the bench so it looks very smooth with no gaps. Fixed the a leg in the two corners.

Routed the edges so it had a nice rolled edge and then primed and painted it in a semi gloss paint. Stuff just wipes right off and it match's the colour of my walls (A cappuccino colour).

I don't need a desk to be very deep (I have a G5 iMac) as it just wastes space in the room as well as gives me more area to pile crud on :-)

Works great. Plus it only cost me £12 for the MDF and £16 for the two legs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules