Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Cuba bans american dollar...

Cuba bans american dollar...
Taliesin
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 05:39 AM

..., I think it's the right decision, though it will hurt cuba's economy in the short run. In 1993 Cuba allowed the US-dollar to be used in Cuba because it's own economy crashed. The context is the tightening of an US-embargo against Cuba, the BBC-article says. Why is there by the way an US-embargo against Cuba? Isn't it obsolete since the Soviet-Union collapsed?

Here is the link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3957223.stm

Discuss.

Taliesin

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 09:20 AM

While it's easy to showcase a handful of good things going on in cuba, their government hasn't changed and it's still an oppressive dictator running the whole thing. The US has said time and again, get rid of Castro, and we will talk trade.

You could argue that China is in a similar situation, but they aren't sitting on our front porch.

In my mind, I see Cuba as a totally failed country. The country could be one of the most beautiful places in the world if they would simply get over their old world government.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Taliesin:
Why is there by the way an US-embargo against Cuba?
Because Cuba nationalised sugar cane growing which was under American company possession before.

Taliesin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Because Cuba nationalised sugar cane growing which was under American company possession before.
Thanks for the info. Didn't Cuba pay reparations to the american companies?

Besides why punishing whole Cuba for nationalising sugar cane growing? After all the sanctions hurt only the cuban civilians and not the government.

I think it's time to rethink the stance against Cuba. The policy should have been changed right after the collapse of the Soviet Union and at the latest in 1993, when Cuba's economy collapsed.

Taliesin

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 01:16 PM

I read somewhere that they will still be using it for business deals...

Forum Links
Forum Rules