Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > does everyone like iPhoto?

does everyone like iPhoto? (Page 2)
cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 10:48 AM

I think this whole file-rename thing will be moot once Tiger is released and iPhoto is made Spotlight compatible.
cpac

Aric  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
I think this whole file-rename thing will be moot once Tiger is released and iPhoto is made Spotlight compatible.
what's spotlight?

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Aric:
what's spotlight?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/spotlight.html

It's searching technology in Tiger that will search data and meta-data (likely to include picture captions, comments, albums, etc.) system-wide.

Many, myself included, believe it will make the Finder *itself* mostly irrelevant, but I would expect that at the very least it will make requiring a Finder-rename for pictures via iPhoto irrelevant.
cpac

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 09:06 PM

Good thread. I've been wary of iPhoto as well. I'm not going to argue that the fear is rational, but after a couple of dry runs in 1 and 2, I haven't felt like taking the time to learn 3, so I just import photos into subfolders in the Pictures folder. It's rare that I can't locate an image quickly this way, and I can always use the Photoshop browser (I'm often working in PS anyway).

As I recall, when I first tried iPhoto, rotating images was lossy. I believe they've fixed this, but it still made me wary. Then I recall some problem with using Photoshop - iPhoto saved the unedited original for you, which was nice, but the original was hidden, and you couldn't save layers or something, or multiple edits. Is this still true? I'm sure there were workarounds but it was easier to just use my own folders.

Then there were the usual speed problems, etc., although it sounds like this has largely been overcome. It's comforting to know that you can just drag an image to the desktop to make a copy. Maybe I'll give it another try.

For some reason one feels a greater loss of control with iPhoto than iTunes, perhaps because some of us are more likely to want to edit images than music files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules