Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Halloween 2004 - Madison (Video from one of the country's biggest parties)

Halloween 2004 - Madison (Video from one of the country's biggest parties)
Scientist
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 07:22 PM

Hey. My student organization, The Great Dome Society has posted its Madison Halloween footage. This video contains almost 20 minutes of creative costume driven drunken madness, interviews and out of control mace-wielding police.

It's a pretty comprehensive (and long) video. It is worth sticking around till the end. I hope you all like it.

http://www.greatdomesociety.com/

EDIT: FYI this is a documetary of Madison's Halloween festival. This is not "Girls Gone Wild" or "Wild On!". If you are curious about the intensity and size of Madison's infamous halloween festival then you might find this enlightening. It spans the time between 10:00PM Saturday night until around 4:30 Sunday morning.
( Last edited by Scientist; Nov 1, 2004 at 10:47 PM. )
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 07:41 PM

That was boring. Liked the end though. That was some real good crowd control.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
That was boring. Liked the end though. That was some real good crowd control.
Seconded. The first time they went by I thought it was just a bunch of guys all dressed up the same, like a frat or something, but at the end I realized they musta been the real deal.

I skipped through most of it.

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 07:52 PM

There were a few hundred people with stinging red skin and eyes who don't think it was so cool.
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Scientist:
There were a few hundred people with stinging red skin and eyes who don't think it was so cool.
Maybe they should have stopped yelling "**** the police" and "********" and just broken up like they were supposed to. What time of night was that breakup?

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Maybe they should have stopped yelling "**** the police" and "********" and just broken up like they were supposed to. What time of night was that breakup?
It was around 4:30 AM when I got there to film it, if I recall correctly. The police actually were pretty out of hand that night (bewilderingly so). A whole lot of people who wanted to get home weren't able to without getting maced because their homes were located within a couple blocks of the party.
-George C. Williams

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:05 PM

That video was lame. No fires, flipped cars, or girls popping their tops.

I think Michigan State has you beat.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:13 PM

boring

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:

I will ask my friend Vicki...but I doubt it. We got some popped tops but decided to cut those out.
-George C. Williams

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 08:20 PM

Ehh, its because this was filmed by some dork who probably stayed in most of the night and didn't make it down to State Street until he saw in on the news. Seriously, who films this for a club and then does interviews while this is going on? Where's the fun in that.

Madison is ready for all this stuff now. It was much more fun when it caught them off guard and the cops were clueless on what to do. When we were in the Final Four and during the Mifflin Street block party riot there was a great deal more pandemonium. This thing here now on Halloween is a given until they find some way to shut down the bars early or something. It is becoming trite like stuff at SIU.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Ehh, its because this was filmed by some dork who probably stayed in most of the night and didn't make it down to State Street until he saw in on the news. Seriously, who films this for a club and then does interviews while this is going on? Where's the fun in that.
Well, you are wrong as usual, so. :-P
-George C. Williams

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 08:34 PM

Well, you are wrong as usual, so. :-P
The Great Dome Society? I am not wrong.

What you are doing is dumb. You are video taping footage of people doing misdemeanors. If the University to single out students to make examples of them you just fed them enough evidence to get several kids kicked out of school. It happened at a few schools including Michigan State but in most of those cases they needed the cooperation of people who had the video tapes because they couldn't forcibly get them. You are making the footage public and outing several people who probably were just out to have fun. You may as well go to a house party and tape the guys selling cups to minors and then post it on the web.

You are not only a dork you are a tool.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 08:49 PM

What you are doing is dumb. You are video taping footage of people doing misdemeanors. If the University to single out students to make examples of them you just fed them enough evidence to get several kids kicked out of school. It happened at a few schools including Michigan State but in most of those cases they needed the cooperation of people who had the video tapes because they couldn't forcibly get them. You are making the footage public and outing several people who probably were just out to have fun. You may as well go to a house party and tape the guys selling cups to minors and then post it on the web.

Give me a break. I had the full cooperation of everyone I talked to in that crowd (the ones getting sprayed indiscriminately with mace). They were urging me to post that video online to show how unreasonable the cops in Madison have become. There are things even a Madison cop won't do on camera, despite their anonymity hiding behind those black masks, when on camera. If anything, I was doing the crowd a favor. If my batteries hadn't run out you would have seen how bad it really was.

And you are one presumptuous fellow. Wow.
-George C. Williams

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 09:26 PM

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:01 PM

Give me a break. I had the full cooperation of everyone I talked to in that crowd (the ones getting sprayed indiscriminately with mace). They were urging me to post that video online to show how unreasonable the cops in Madison have become. There are things even a Madison cop won't do on camera, despite their anonymity hiding behind those black masks, when on camera. If anything, I was doing the crowd a favor. If my batteries hadn't run out you would have seen how bad it really was.

And you are one presumptuous fellow. Wow.
Umm, if it were me dealing with an enormous drunken crowd I'd have maced them too. Just a riot waiting to happen.

Hiding behind black masks.. lol.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:30 PM

You may as well go to a house party and tape the guys selling cups to minors and then post it on the web.
Which, ironically, would be more interesting than this footage.

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 10:36 PM

Which, ironically, would be more interesting than this footage.
You didn't need to watch it if you weren't interested...
-George C. Williams

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:46 PM

It is worth sticking around till the end.
How was he to know it was deliriously boring?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:47 PM

I was expecting fire, flipped cars, and topless girls.

well, there's no topless girls in that one.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:52 PM

I was expecting fire, flipped cars, and topless girls.

well, there's no topless girls in that one.
There's a girls ass on the left there. Nice ass too.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 10:53 PM

I always enjoy the reports out of Madison every Halloween ... they all read the same.

Our peaceful community of 260,000+ including 40,000 students did not contribute to the riots on State Street. Clearly the party that as many as 70,000 attended were all out-of-towners.

The entire community of Madison assumes the citizens and students of that town had nothing to do with the issues the previous three years and that it is always out-of-towners.

Madison, please. Get off your horse. Its a party town and a party school. I'm willing to bet that some of those 300,000 residents and students contribute more to the riots and broken store fronts on State Street than those people from Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 10:53 PM

How was he to know it was deliriously boring?
Yeah, yea, good point. I edited my first post, which I realise was misleading. That was the info pulled from our site, which was primarily intended for UW students and others interested in Madison music and events. I thought there might have be some here who have been interested in possibly attending next year or some who have been curious about it. I guess not.
-George C. Williams

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 10:58 PM

Wish there was shots of the tear gas. Cops seemed pretty reserved, could have saved a lot of property damage if they'd done their jobs.

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 11:09 PM

Wish there was shots of the tear gas. Cops seemed pretty reserved, could have saved a lot of property damage if they'd done their jobs.
You can actually see it in one of the scenes near the end. It's the one right after you see the dude trip over the curb into me. I don't know where the riot was. No one I talked to was even aware that there was one. I just heard about it from the other video posted in this thread. Given that information, the polices actions seem somewhat more reasonable. However the group I was with and the people I talked to had nothing to do with it. They were all very bewildered by the show of force.
-George C. Williams

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 11:58 PM

I don't know where the riot was. No one I talked to was even aware that there was one. I just heard about it from the other video posted in this thread.
Uh.... That was a Michigan State riot.

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 01:35 AM

Uh.... That was a Michigan State riot.
I see...
-George C. Williams

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:50 AM

yeah, prettry boring, cept the end.

That was cool. They sure looked and acted the part

-Owl

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:24 AM

Wisconsin I was gonna go up there, but decided to stay and party here in Chicago.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 06:33 AM

Kick people out of school because of the things they do in their own free time, outside of the university ? What kind of pathetic policy is that ?

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 2, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Kick people out of school because of the things they do in their own free time, outside of the university ? What kind of pathetic policy is that ?
It's called a "student conduct code". And I fully support it.

They are trying to establish a minimum standard of behavior that they accept for their students.

The university doesn't want to be poorly represented in the community by students that behave in a criminal manner.

You don't like it, don't go there. You have that freedom.

You should see some of the student codes for Christian schools. Required Church attendance at ALL available Church services. No holding hands. The dress codes can be pretty strict too. No jeans or immodest clothing.

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
It's called a "student conduct code". And I fully support it.

They are trying to establish a minimum standard of behavior that they accept for their students.

The university doesn't want to be poorly represented in the community by students that behave in a criminal manner.

You don't like it, don't go there. You have that freedom.

You should see some of the student codes for Christian schools. Required Church attendance at ALL available Church services. No holding hands. The dress codes can be pretty strict too. No jeans or immodest clothing.
No one in that group was being criminal. They were telling the police what they thought of them. It is called social pressure and I fully support its liberal use. In fact I believe it can empower an individual to catalyze change in a way that is much stronger and more direct than voting is. Politicians, cops, etc need to know that these are real people they are dealing with not abstract numbers or ideas. Just my $0.02.
-George C. Williams

Forum Links
Forum Rules