Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How fast do you G5 2.5 CPU exhaust fans run ?

How fast do you G5 2.5 CPU exhaust fans run ?
hippyhop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 02:00 PM

Hi,

Any G5 2.5 owners, how fast do your CPU exhaust fans run at idle ?

Mine seem to average out at about 550-650 RPM, which seems a little fast to me ?

ps I have nVida 6800 GPU and 2GB ram

Thanks !

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by hippyhop:
Hi,

Any G5 2.5 owners, how fast do your CPU exhaust fans run at idle ?

Mine seem to average out at about 550-650 RPM, which seems a little fast to me ?

ps I have nVida 6800 GPU and 2GB ram

Thanks !
550-650 RPM isn't fast at all! The fans are rated from 300 to 3000 RPM... and note those same fans in PCs typically run at 1500 to 2000 RPM constantly.

So no, they're loafing along. The Nvidia card isn't the coolest either -- it may be making some of the noise.

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
550-650 RPM isn't fast at all! The fans are rated from 300 to 3000 RPM... and note those same fans in PCs typically run at 1500 to 2000 RPM constantly.

So no, they're loafing along. The Nvidia card isn't the coolest either -- it may be making some of the noise.
Interesting, I am sure I read somewhere that the idle speed is supposed to be around 300RPM. I mean totally idle, not running any apps, and serveral hours of non-use!

It is in my opinion quite loud under zero load, I was after reading alot of reviews expecting a very quite computer, but in a quiet house I can hear it drone in the next room

Also, I am suprised that at idle it is marginally louder than the PC it is sat next to !

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:47 PM

I wish I had a PM G5...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 11:37 AM

Interesting, I am sure I read somewhere that the idle speed is supposed to be around 300RPM. I mean totally idle, not running any apps, and serveral hours of non-use!
Was that the idle speed of the fans or the idle speed of the fans in a G5, which could be different.

It is in my opinion quite loud under zero load, I was after reading alot of reviews expecting a very quite computer, but in a quiet house I can hear it drone in the next room
Turn on a stereo or TV and then you won't hear it. Problem solved. I mean, it's either you get a fast computer and live with the little bit of noise or get a G4 Cube and live with a slower computer. I know a few ex-Cube owners who are very happy G5 owners.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 11:39 AM

how do you determine you g5's fan rpm?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 12:15 AM

My guess is he is usinng Hardware Monitor http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24043
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 04:31 PM

With a dozen applications open, but no active tasks, my CPU exhaust fans spin between 400 and 650 RPM, but are most commonly spinning between 530 and 550 RPM.

2.5/8GB/500GB/6800 Ultra.

Forum Links
Forum Rules