Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Missing icon in System Prefs

Missing icon in System Prefs
ScotHamedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 04:37 AM

I can not seem to find the answer here, I know I read about it somewhere. If I open system prefs, mu CD & DVD icon is gone, the text is still beaneath it, it works fine, but the icon is no there.

If I log into a new account, it is ok in that account. I moved out all my prefs and opened the System Prefs and it was still missing, ideas?

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by ScottHaneda:
I can not seem to find the answer here, I know I read about it somewhere. If I open system prefs, mu CD & DVD icon is gone, the text is still beaneath it, it works fine, but the icon is no there.

If I log into a new account, it is ok in that account. I moved out all my prefs and opened the System Prefs and it was still missing, ideas?
The same thing happened to me, too. I decided not to touch.. Then, in a week later, it finally popped back on!? Weird. No idea why here..

(iMac G5, 20")

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 11:13 AM

repair permissions. It always fixs icon related issues for me.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 01:51 PM

if the repair permissions does not do the trick, try deleting com.apple.preferencepanes.cache from your home/libary folder.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 01:27 PM

I hope this icon weirdness is solved in the Tiger update!

Forum Links
Forum Rules