Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MAJOR Connectivity Issues on my iMac G4

MAJOR Connectivity Issues on my iMac G4
WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2004, 12:56 AM

My iMac G4 is having a lot of trouble staying connected to the internet. The other computers stay connected, my modem's lights are blinking normally as are the routers, however my iMac disconnects every few minutes and reconnects directly afterwards. I thought it might be a problem with the ethernet cable connection, but it's connected to my computer and the router correctly. If it matters, the router is a wireless DI-624. If any additional information is needed, ask, and I shall post. Please help!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 02:42 AM

could be an old worn out cable try swapping it with another cable. Is your cable the correct cable(I think for this you need a straight cable usually colored blue).

WiggMuffin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2004, 03:41 AM

Nope, the cable is not worn out. I just tried a cable that my other computer uses (that is connected all the time) and that didn't work either. Still frequently disconnects.

jon_hh_68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 04:41 AM

I would try to clean out your caches and then check permissions.

This is how you do it:

Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on the startup disk. You might have to do this several times.

Then get Cache Out X (Freeware - google search for it) and clean out everything (System and User caches).

Then, restart the computer.

These steps might fix the problem if it is software based.

If you have persistant problems trying to clean permissions or repair the startup disk, you need to buy DiskWarrior.

If these steps do not fix the problem, check to make sure that you have call waiting disabled when you use the modem (I think it is *70 before dialing the connection number but not sure).

You might want to consider doing an archive and install to install a fresh system on your computer in case some of the modem files are corrupted.

Finally, the modem might be bad and you would need to get it replaced.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 12:58 PM

cleaning caches will probably not help so if you don't want to bother don't try it. Have you tried another port on your router? If all else fails reinstall mac os x but people will give you more advice most likely. Are you sure the cable is in all the way and not blocked by anything IE dust?
Ohh and the problem couldn't be the modem because his other computers are working and its over a network.

WiggMuffin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2004, 03:14 PM

Problem solved. It turns out the other computers were experiencing disconnects, but they happened so fast they didn't notice. The only reason I noticed mine were thanks to Adium

Anyway, the problem seems to have been fixed by duct taping the back of the modem (it's a flimsy modem )

Thanks for your suggestions.

WiggMuffin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2004, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by WiggMuffin:
Problem solved. It turns out the other computers were experiencing disconnects, but they happened so fast they didn't notice. The only reason I noticed mine were thanks to Adium

Anyway, the problem seems to have been fixed by duct taping the back of the modem (it's a flimsy modem )

Thanks for your suggestions.
Bah, nevermind. Problems resurfacing. System reinstall is imminent, ETA tomorrow morning.

toti
Nov 14, 2004, 09:44 AM

Ehm... if more than one computer on your network are experiencing network dropouts, then a reinstall will do you no good.

Your target is more likely your flimsy modem ( which should be fixed or replaced anyway if it's of questionable quality ) or your ISP ( some ISPs are known to repeatedly disconnect their DSL users to trash P2P connections )

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 04:10 PM

time to replace the offending hardware(the modem/router)The one you had to duct tape to get it to work.

WiggMuffin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 03:01 AM

It actually wasn't happening on the other computers, and when it did, THAT was the modem's fault.

I reinstalled OS X and it seems to be working now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules