Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Missing Hard Drive Space?

Missing Hard Drive Space?
Oracle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 01:25 AM

I installed this program called Autoscrubber. After I launched it a pop up said I have not much hard drive space left. Well I should have about 100 gigs left. So I uninstall the program and still no hard drive space. Ran repair permissions and it fixed a bunch of stuff, but still missing space. Ran DiskWarrior fixed some things, but no luck. What else should I try?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 01:48 AM

Reboot.

I don't know what happens, but when I boot, I have about 300 MB free on my laptop.
After a week or so of java development, running JBoss, etc, I get the same pop-up.

Something must be making tons of temp files, because when I reboot, it's back to 300 MB
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Oracle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 02:07 AM

Clearing Caches fixed my problem. I guess starting up this program created a 60 gig temp file somehwere. Needless to say I'm not using this program any longer.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
Reboot.

I don't know what happens, but when I boot, I have about 300 MB free on my laptop.
After a week or so of java development, running JBoss, etc, I get the same pop-up.

Something must be making tons of temp files, because when I reboot, it's back to 300 MB
You should not be using you machine with only 300MB available

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2004, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Oracle:
Clearing Caches fixed my problem. I guess starting up this program created a 60 gig temp file somehwere. Needless to say I'm not using this program any longer.
Weird, I talked to someone who had the same problem, and it turned out to be a temp file created by a different app, but one that had the same purpose: Shredder.

Why is it that these apps that attempt to save you disk space by deleting cache files and such seem to have a tendency to occasionally eat your entire disk with huge cache files of their own? Oh, the irony...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
You should not be using you machine with only 300MB available

I have every day for the last year and half.

Can't really justify upgrading the hard disk in the pismo and it works just fine, though thanks for your concern...
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

jugglenutfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 03:22 PM

I was running on low hd space too, found this article and it helped:

http://www.maccritic.com/tips/article/214_0_12_0_C/

Make sure you use cocktail to clear caches and such.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2004, 01:59 PM

nm
( Last edited by slffl; Dec 8, 2004 at 05:11 PM. )
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Forum Links
Forum Rules