Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Using Firewire as TV tuner

Using Firewire as TV tuner
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Feb 4, 2001, 12:19 AM

I have a device that converts analog to DV and the other way around and can use it to import and export, but is there a program that allows me to just watch what's being imported through Firewire like a TV tuner?

mdf-occ1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 07:42 PM

Apple has it's own free program, should be on your Mac OS CD.

On the OS 9 CD, when you get to the part where you can customize the installation, Under the Mac OS 9 Component settings, make sure "Apple Video Player" gets installed. I believe it's automatically selected so it might already be on your computer.

Select your input (firewire) and I think you'll be able to do everything including change channels.
--
mdf-occ1
Mad Skillz Homie Dawg

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Feb 6, 2001, 08:24 AM

Sony makes an analog TV to Firewire DV converter, but I don't know the details other than it's like $250-$350.

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

kiddydoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 10:18 PM

I don't understand the answer suggested to this question.

The Apple Video Player seems to be designed to work with Apple's A/V card. The input options are only "antenna", "cable", and "s-video" -- apparently matching the input options on the video card. The last version I see on Apple's software update site is 1.7.4 and it makes no mention of Firewire or tuning capabilities outside of the A/V card.

Which raises an interesting technical question...
Can a computer use a Firewire interface to import an untuned antenna or cable signal and then somehow tune the signal in software to show a specific TV channel? If so, how would you go about connecting say an F-type cable connector to a Firewire jack? Even if you convert the analog cable signal to a digital format using an analog-to-digital converter box (I own Sony's DVMC-DA1 box), the inputs to the converter box only allow for S-Video and composite signals, which implies that the signal source needs to have already been "tuned" to a specific frequency.

Just wondering...

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2001, 05:39 PM

This is a little off topic, but how is Sony's converter? I am looking to get some type of capturing setup, and Sony's looks the good, but how good does it hold up for those of you who have one?

cokeman1975
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2001, 08:04 PM

Get Hollywood DV Bridge. I bet it's better than sony DVMC's.

infiniti
Feb 9, 2001, 02:16 AM

Ok, there's a lot of rumors here taht need to be cleared up.

Cable TV needs to be tuned to a specific channel, and that channel can then be displayed, recorded, etc. This requires an extra piece of equipment (such as a VCR or a television). A coaxial RF television cable CAN NOT be connected directly to FireWire with the expectation to tune in anything. FireWire is digital, while cable is analog, and the two don't mix. If you really want to view video over FireWire, your best bet is to connect the TV cable to a VCR. Then connect the S-VIDEO out from the VCR to the D/A converter, and the converter to the FireWire port on your Mac.

As for viewing the video, i have no clue. Apple Video Player works only with the Apple A/V system cards and TV/FM Tuner Cards. These were introduced with the Performa 630, and were discontinued with the Power Mac 6500. The software has NO option to view FireWire video. Perhaps a DV editor would work, but such a program would require far to many system resources to make it a useful TV.

Your best bet is to get an actual USB TV Tuner. They are made by Eskape Labs and ATI, althout I am not sure if ATI's tuner is shipping yet. These act as true TV tuners, with full software controls. Or, if you have a B&W G3 with the ATI Rage 128 video card, you can hook a VCR or ATI TV Tuner directly to the card.

I hope this is informative, and clears up any doubts you had.

Good luck,

infiniti
12" iBook 900

Forum Links
Forum Rules