Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help! 15" Studio Display won't start... unless

Help! 15" Studio Display won't start... unless
dviant
Feb 5, 2001, 12:31 AM

(I cross-posted this in Mac Fix it, Xlr8yourmac, and Apple Discussion so sorry if this is repeat... I'm just desperate...)

System Info: G4 350 AGP : Mac OS 9.0.4 : 320 MB ram, Adaptec SCSI card, extra Maxtor 17gb drive

I really hope this monitor isn't dying on me.

I installed some ram and an extra hard drive (maxtor 17gb) in my parents G4 350 AGP. Used a static strap, touched the power supply and was generally careful. After installation it started up fine, hard drive mounted, ram showed up in ASP. Shutting down and restarting results in the startup chime but the Graphite 15" Studio Display shows the orange power light and refuses to display an image.

The monitor is not dead howerver, after some testing it seems something screwy is going on at shutdown. If I unplug the dvi connector, then monitor usb, then unplug the G4 (since the button won't shut it down at this point), then put everything back in reverse order (power, usb, then dvi) the monitor will display again on restart. What the heck, does this reset something in the monitor?? Howerver on shutdown it reverts to the black screen problem again until I do the above process again. This is repeatable, with or without the extra hard drive. I haven't tried removing the ram yet to see if that makes a difference. The monitor doesn't have any problems going in and out of sleep.

I read the TIL article warning about ESD from plugging the 15" ASD into an unpowered G4 in my attempt to figure out this problem. Hopefully this monitor hasn't been affected by this...I only starting observing when it was plugged in after I read this. I'd really be unhappy with Apple should this be the case. Seems like a defective product to me if it's this sensitive. I'm sure most ASD owners only find this out AFTER there's a problem.

Unfortunately this monitor is now out of warranty and I'm not sure what to do. I think I may try to install the system (9.04) to see if that affects anything. Apparently they were having crashing problems before I installed their stuff, but they never experienced this odd monitor problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Swartz [email protected]
bah!

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Feb 6, 2001, 08:27 AM

Make sure your video card is properly seated in the Mac and that all your cables are ok. Check the pins for straightness.

No other ideas....
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

dviant  (op)
Feb 6, 2001, 11:02 AM

Yeah it's seated properly... it's still got the screw attached to the chassis. One thing I didn't try was testing without the new ram I installed. Need to get back over there this week to see if that's causing problems. It is a PC 100 I was using in my G4 Yikes, so it should work in the G4 AGP (I assume),,, but it's worth a shot.

Next step is to re-install the system to see if that makes a difference... ugh.

bah!

Forum Links
Forum Rules