Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 Quality

iBook G4 Quality
eHoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:27 AM

I am having a tough time deciding between the G4 Powerbook and the iBook. Not really a feature debate. I do prefer the styling of the powerbook, but that's not worth $600 to me.

I have a 500mhz dual USB iBook currently and it has been a piece of garbage.

I have been told that the current models are leaps and bounds better. I'm skeptical.

Anyone have or hear of any issues so far with them? I don't want to end up with another lemon.

Thanks!

edited to correct sloppy typing.
( Last edited by eHoward; Nov 24, 2004 at 02:45 PM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 04:57 AM

it's the opposite. the quality of the plastic on the iBook G4 feels cheaper than the original dual USB iBook. I'm a bit surprised with your comments though, the build quality of the dual USB iBook was pretty good....

The plastic "squeeks" on the news models. It wasn't the case on the 500mhz...

what do you mean by lemon? what's the issue with yours? I haven't had any problem in 3 years.
( Last edited by pat++; Nov 24, 2004 at 05:17 AM. )

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 05:12 AM

I know of 4 people (friends and family) with new iBook G4's (12" and 14") that have all purchased them in the past 18 months, and they have all been extremely impressed at the durability of them. They all still look and function very well.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:
I know of 4 people (friends and family) with new iBook G4's (12" and 14") that have all purchased them in the past 18 months, and they have all been extremely impressed at the durability of them. They all still look and function very well.
Count me in. No "plastik squeeks" whatsoever.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2004, 12:51 PM

I had a 700mhz G3 iBook.... GREAT computer.. held up VERY well!

My friend purchased the 800mhz G4 ibook and I was shocked at the plastic feel... particularly the creaking on the left side... so I was very leary of going with a new 1.2ghz iBook G4 since the case LOOKS the same.

Well, there have been some obvious changes because the 12.ghz is SOLID AS A ROCK.. no creaks, squeeks at all.. and it feels very solid... very much like my old 700.... even the wrist pads feel solid now... like they are either thicker or were improved as they don't flex like the 800.

The PowerBook is a great machine but honestly, we have them at work and there are some pretty big differences. First, the 12" fans come on all the time... the ibook is silent... I have yet to hear a fan.... you can't even hear the HD! Also, the PB scratches VERY easily and also dents VERY easily.. ours all look terrible and many are only a few months old.

Put it this way.... I toss my iBook on my bed and don't worry about it causing damage... I would NEVER toss a PowerBook.

eHoward  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:42 PM

The machine was solid until the backlight died about 6 months after purchase. During those first 6 months, I dont think it crashed once and that was even using OS 9.

After getting the iBook back from apple, the machine was not assembled properly. The hinge was not right causing the LCD to crack once and lose video signal another time. Panels were not lined up right. The casing is cracked where fastners were overtorqued. The DVD drive sticks out. It froze after waking from sleep.

It has been back to Apple a bunch of times since the original problem. It has had a couple LCDs. A couple logic boards. New clamshell. New keyboard. Probably stuff I am forgetting.

Currently it has power manager issues again and the backlight dies randomly.

I have been using apple products it seems like forever. I just dont want three more years of not knowing if I am going to have a computer next week.

Originally posted by pat++:
it's the opposite. the quality of the plastic on the iBook G4 feels cheaper than the original dual USB iBook. I'm a bit surprised with your comments though, the build quality of the dual USB iBook was pretty good....

The plastic "squeeks" on the news models. It wasn't the case on the 500mhz...

what do you mean by lemon? what's the issue with yours? I haven't had any problem in 3 years.
( Last edited by eHoward; Nov 24, 2004 at 02:43 PM. )

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 02:34 PM

Solid point! That would suck if once again got a faulty machine. Good luck.

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by eHoward:

I have been using apple products it seems like forever. I just dont want three more years of not knowing if I am going to have a computer next week.
I guess you were unlucky... I would have asked Apple for a replacement with the number of problems you got.

Concerning "squeeks", my iBook G4 doesn't squeek that much, but my brother's which was bought the same day at the same place does squeek much more.

Whatever you say, the plastic quality on the new iBook is not as good as the iBook G3 (altough I think the top of the case looks like it's more durable, and doesn't scratch as easily as the iBook G3),

I must say i'm pretty happy with the iBook G4, and it's a pretty good deal for the price. I would buy one again. For now, i'm not sure the price difference with the PowerBook is worth it. Or at least wait for the next PowerBook revision which might get the 7448 chip (and probably a significant price drop) if you really want a PowerBook, otherwise it would say it's safe to go for the iBook.
( Last edited by pat++; Nov 24, 2004 at 04:28 PM. )

eHoward  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 04:25 PM

It is an apple replacement but they gave me the option to upgrade.

I appreciate everyones input.

Originally posted by pat++:
[B]I guess you were unlucky... I would have asked Apple for a replacement with the number of problems you got.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2004, 10:00 PM

I have a 14" 933MHz iBook and in less than a year, I lost ink on 5 keys, the battery became too short lived to be useful, and a crack appeared in the bottom left corner of the base. I never dropped this thing or anything, it just appeared one day.

I sent it to Apple under the first 12 month warranty, and although they replaced the keyboard, they didn't do the crack or battery repair. My local Mac reseller was kind enough to use their own internal process to exchange the battery as they thought it was faulty.

I won't be buying another iBook. I'll go Powerbook next time.

mi5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 01:34 AM

I originally purchased an iBook G4 (800mhz, 30gb, 640mb) in Feb 2004 and all went well until July (hard drive replaced), August through October (hard drive replaced + logicboard replaced) and October (again it was going to be a logicboard)...but Apple decided to replace the whole iBook with a brand new model...1.2ghz, 768mb, 30gb.

The problems my iBook was having were basically system lock-ups, after reboot it couldn't find OS and after reboot with OS CD, it either couldn't find the hard drive to re-install or repair, or it took up to 10 reboots.

I was extremely impressed (why wouldn't I be) with Apple's decision!

Having converted from PC to Mac this year, I now have the iBook G4 1.2ghz and an eMac 1.25ghz (which, touch-wood, has not missed a beat). I have had the new iBook since mid October and (touch-wood) it is going great. Luckily I have a warranty/Apple Care till April 2007.

Even after my original iBook problems I would still recommend one, because when it comes to computers (in the majority of cases), you may be unlucky to get a lemon, but there are many more that work effortlessly. I know many people who all own iBooks and PowerBooks and they haven't missed a beat.

To choose a replacement for the future...when it is time (2 years), I will more than likely go for the (equivalent) 15" PowerBook...WHY? I have found I require a little more "professional functionality" since I work in education/web design fields. Although, the iBook 1.2ghz 512k L2, 768mb RAM gives it a pretty good go running Dreamweaver, Flash, Director, Photoshop, Office2004, etc.

So if you don't need the "professional extras" (and they both look great..cosmestically), save some money and go for the iBook!

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules