Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mysterious Pismo problem-- what do I need to replace now??

Mysterious Pismo problem-- what do I need to replace now??
sphondy!oid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 09:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my Pismo, and can't seem to figure out what might be causing them, even after leafing through the posts here and other powerbook forums.

The problems started when my logic board got fried (long story). I replaced it with a logic board I bought from Powerbookmedic. After the computer was reassembled, I hit the power button, heard the chime, and then-- nothing. Blank screen. The battery wasn't charging, either, so I removed it and am running on AC power. Since the initial blank screen startup, I've had many more similar incidents, interspersed with occasional boots in which the backlight comes on and the computer starts in firmware mode (followed by crashes). After a night of unplugged rest for the Pismo, I was finally able to boot from a CD-Rom. I replaced the system folder on the hard drive, ran disk repair, selected "hard drive" as my startup disk, crossed my fingers, and rebooted. (I think I forgot to completely zero out the hard drive however, so maybe I should try again?) At that point there was nothing again-- just the startup chime, faint whirring, and no backlight. Couldn't start from CD-Rom either.

After that I got it to boot once as a target disk on my 17" Al. Ran TechTool deluxe, and it said my "clock chip" had something wrong with it that could be either software or harware related-- TechTool couldn't fix it. Is the clock chip related to the clock in the menubar, or the clock speed of the processor? (Can y'all tell I don't really know the first thing about what's on my daughterboard?)

At any rate, the computer hasn't come on since-- back to the startup chime/black screen/ whirring cd-rom and hard drive scenario. *sigh*

Sorry about this long post, but if anyone has any advice, I would be -immensely- grateful.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2004, 11:24 AM

Have you tried re-setting the pram?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 05:38 PM

try reseating the processor. maybe that is the problem. Make sure it is installed correctly.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules