Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I just got a DV SE 400

I just got a DV SE 400
qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 10:08 PM

I recived it for free because it does not work. I was told by the previous owner it has a bad analog board. I belive him totaly, he knows his stuff.

I have also heard this board called a pav ( power, audio,video is this a good guess) board. I am just looking for some clairafaction as to the correct name so I know what I am looking for. I wish to repair this machine for something else to mess around with.

Thanks for your time.

galarneau
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 10:26 PM

You should ask the original owner as to the history of the "dead" PAV board. In many cases, people have tried to install OS X on these machines without upgrading the firmware, leaving the machine in an unbootable state. Check out this webpage:

http://www.capecodgraphics.com/imac_firmware.htm

I'm actually still using an iMac DV SE that I bought on ebay for $100 that was "dead" due to this issue, and was able to fix it with some effort (basically temporarilly bypassing the internal monitor long enough to update the firmware)

Good luck

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 11:32 PM

This is not the issue with this machine. It powers up for a brief moment then shuts it self down. The orignal owner of the machine knows his stuff and he know for a fact that this board is bad.

qualey2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 12:18 AM

Firmware 4.1.9 was installed on that iMac prior to OS X being installed. It had been my mother's and I did all the software installs/updates, so I'm sure. The problem appeared much later.

This is the reply I got from the owner when I asked him about the possibility of an open firmware problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules