Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple's OS X image flawed on new machines?

Apple's OS X image flawed on new machines?
Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 28, 2004, 11:07 PM

Is it just me or is the image of OS X that ships on Apples machines just designed to break and get slow really fast? Out of all the machines I have set up for people the ones that complain about slow downs beach balls unexpected quits are people who have just been using the machine as Apple sent it.

Both my machine, which I installed a fresh copy on when I got it and a friends that I did the same have been working perfectly. Also a friend of mines 12" PowerBooks HD died, when he got it back (with a clean HD and Apples image) it was just really slow; he thought the drive was going again because it was acting the same why before it died. So I reinstalled from the panther disks the machines been fine ever since.

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 09:12 AM

At one point in my career I got to see a lot of machines as they came directly from Apple, and I did notice that every once in a while there was a batch that were just bad images, and a simple re-install took care of them. But on the whole, most of the images were just fine.

Personally, I re-install every machine I get, but that is often because I want to put in my own build.

Dr. Smoke
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
the ones that complain about slow downs beach balls unexpected quits are people who have just been using the machine as Apple sent it.
I tend to agree with lorky, from the perspective of having seen brand new hard drives, fresh out of the box, with bad sectors. I'd zero the drives and then reinstall.

However, if performance degrades over time, there can be a variety of causes. In particular, if these folks are using laptops that are shutdown or alseep overnight and not manually running the CRON scripts, they're chewing up hard drive space with log files. See my Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts FAQ.

See also my Tuning Mac OS X Performance FAQ for a variety of troubleshooting and optimizing tips regarding Mac OS X performance.
Good Luck!

Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac OS X

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 06:42 PM

In the past few weeks, I have had to work on every kind of Mac currently shipping, doing software installs/etc. right out-of-the-box.

The only issue I have seen repeatedly is that the OS X image on PowerBooks for some reason gets very finicky if you apply too many updates in the initial update cycle. Tip for those who have just bought a PowerBook: apply the OS X 10.3.7 combined updater, followed by everything else.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Forum Links
Forum Rules