Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Yikes, my iPod died!

Yikes, my iPod died!
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2004, 02:58 PM

Yesterday, while Christmas shopping, my 1st gen iPod seems to have become a non-functioning unit. This makes me sad. It's been almost three years to the day from when I got it (christmas).

I've got my new U2 iPod, but I'm sentimental, and plus I still use the old one when I go places that might prove hazardous to the shiny new one. So, what I'm wondering is, does any one have any experience with reviving 1G iPods? The first problem I noticed was a decrease in volume. I tried turning it up, all the way, but it made no difference. I switched it off, to see if that would fix the problem, but it hasn't restarted since. Nothing. Not even when I plug it in. If the battery pukes, does it still start when plugged in? If it's just the battery, i'll order a new one. Anyone have any ideas?
Nemo me impune lacesset

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 04:21 PM

my 1G ipod appeared to die in similar fashion. replacing the battery revived it, so you might want to give that a try at $40 + shipping.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...=NWTIPOD210012

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2004, 08:02 PM

Just the words I was hoping to hear. Even though I don't really need it anymore, it was a gift, a very nice one at that, and I still find plenty to use it for. I'll put in my oorder for the new battery right now.
Nemo me impune lacesset

OldCodger73
Dec 22, 2004, 04:12 PM

OK, has anyone here actually replaced the battery themselves in a 1G or 2G iPod? The Newer directions from the link in a previous post make it appear easy. Does anyone know what Apple charges for replacing the battery? My 2G doesn't hold its charge like it used to, but it could also be because I'm using it out in the cold.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 05:40 PM

i replaced my 1G's battery by myself. newer tech sent two little knife-like tools with the battery, and they did the trick in prying open the case. it was a bit unnerving to pry it open, but once i figured out how it latched i didn't feel bad for applying some force. (and it all went back together fine, and works fine*.)

* - the battery works fine. headphone jack is a bit screwy, but that's an unrelated issue

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 22, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
OK, has anyone here actually replaced the battery themselves in a 1G or 2G iPod? The Newer directions from the link in a previous post make it appear easy. Does anyone know what Apple charges for replacing the battery? My 2G doesn't hold its charge like it used to, but it could also be because I'm using it out in the cold.
From everything I have read, there is no compelling reason to send it to Apple to have the battery replaced. It's far more expensive, and the battery doesn't have any where near the capacity that the Newertech batteries have. Did you look at the battery life on the link? Out of the box, my iPod never got anything approaching 19 hrs of battery life.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2004, 12:13 AM

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 02:44 AM

I just replaced the battery in my 2G iPod. It was kind of a pain using the little nylon tool, so I had to use a mini-flathead screwdriver to get the initial wege going on mine. After that it was a piece of cake and took maybe 30 seconds to install the new battery and put it all back together.

Good luck,

jg
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

OldCodger73
Dec 23, 2004, 04:34 PM

So what kind of life are you getting from the Newer replacement battery? Does the battery take longer to recharge?

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 02:23 PM

UPS just delivered my battery (it was supposed to be here monday) and it's now installed. Took about a whole five minutes to replace the battery. Easy as pie. And the best part? My iPod is now among the living. I can't report on the battery performance yet, but as soon as I get a chance, I'll see how long it lasts and let you know.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 03:31 PM

I achieved more than 18 hours once with this new battery on shuffle play, with moderate amount of menu interaction and very little use of backlight.
I, ASIMO.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 03:39 PM

yay?! That's good to hear

I got the same battery as one of my christmas presents, and am very happy with it -- my ipod's battery was so bad (itw as only 2 years old!), that it would give up the battery warning as soon as you unplugged it!

But now it's back to getting looooong battery life.. and the best part is, I can use it for reading ebooks WITHOUT it going out after a few hours this time! w00t!
Aloha

OldCodger73
Dec 29, 2004, 04:24 PM

This is good to hear as my Newer replacement battery is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Anybody have any thoughts about the problem with a Newer battery reported in this thread?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=239871

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2004, 05:11 PM

This is good news. I can't wait till an 18hr battery appears for the 3Gs

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
From everything I have read, there is no compelling reason to send it to Apple to have the battery replaced. It's far more expensive, and the battery doesn't have any where near the capacity that the Newertech batteries have.
Not to mention that Apple simply sends you back a refurbished unit, not your original iPod, which they then "recycle" (i.e. refurbish). If you want your original unit, your only choice is to replace it yourself.

OldCodger73
Jan 2, 2005, 11:50 PM

Just an update. I received the Newer battery. From the on-line and included instructions installation of the battery looked to be a snap. Not so, the seam on my iPod seemed almost to be welded shut and the included plastic tools were, to say the least, pretty ineffectual. Finally in desperation I used a small jeweler's screwdriver, at the cost of a few tiny scratches on the case, to make the initial separation, then the plastic tools. After that things went smoothly. I'm looking forward now to much longer battery life.

Next project is to replace the hard drive in my TiBook with a much larger one. But that's in the future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules