Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New ibook.. help seeing winxp shares and vice versa

New ibook.. help seeing winxp shares and vice versa
jbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 04:09 PM

Ok I followed the steps, Connect to server, smb://192.168.0.xxx and found the list of my winxp folders. But after picking one the folders it is blank! From my winxp box I can see it is very much filled with file goodies, but from the ibook, I get an empty folder. The drives are NTFS, but from my understanding it should still be able to read it? And the winxp box is doing the writing and reading anyways.

Is this a common issue? Have i overlooked something?

Also I turned on windows shares on the ibook, but my winxp box is showing nothing new on the network. Is there a default shared folder on the ibook? Or do I need to create one?

Kate
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 10:27 AM

Did you activate SMB using DirectoryServices? This app can be found under Applications/Utilities .

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2005, 06:54 PM

Yes, you should be able to read Windows files, even on NTFS partitions. Which makes me wonder how you set up file sharing on your Windows machine, and how you have the two computers connected (Internet sharing, router, etc.). Also, do either/both of the computers have their firewalls on? Any software that even acts like a firewall or proxy could derail your file sharing unless you explicitly allow it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 07:04 PM

If it's an option, I've found it's easier to see the Mac from Windows than it is to see Windows from the Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules