Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just ordered mini mac!!!

Just ordered mini mac!!!
jps190
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 11:10 PM

I just ordered my Mini Mac. 1.42 with 512mb RAM and superdrive. Now the big question is what monitor to get with it. I chose this over the imac since i have little kids and the thought of a $1900 computer sitting on that little stand on my desk really made me nervous. This thing will be perfect for me. So any suggestions on a moniter? It must have DVI and not be too pricey ( around 500 bucks or less).

Thanks,

John

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 11:23 PM

Dell has some very nice flat panels, CHEAP. Just pay attention to the specs, and buy an extended warranty.

Originally posted by jps190:
I just ordered my Mini Mac. 1.42 with 512mb RAM and superdrive. Now the big question is what monitor to get with it. I chose this over the imac since i have little kids and the thought of a $1900 computer sitting on that little stand on my desk really made me nervous. This thing will be perfect for me. So any suggestions on a moniter? It must have DVI and not be too pricey ( around 500 bucks or less).

Thanks,

John

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 11:24 PM

Go to www.newwegg.com - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...021-013&DEPA=0

17" LCD for $225. Or go find a used 17" CRT for $50.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 12:04 AM

I would suggest a BenQ FP731. It is VGA, but as sharp as any DVI I've used. Even illuniation throughout.

I have a 20" Viewsonic LCD at home, and use the FP731 at work. I'm as big a fan of the (MUCH) cheaper BenQ as I am the Viewsonic.

Plus, you feel cool when you see all the BenQ ads in European Soccer stadiums.

Someone on Ebay is selling the silver model for $272.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Mac with 17" LCD for under $800!!

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
Go to www.newwegg.com - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...021-013&DEPA=0

17" LCD for $225. Or go find a used 17" CRT for $50.

OS_Xclnt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 12:39 AM

I can see another avalanche of add-ons for the mini:

Wireless fold-up keyboard w/ touchpad similar to those used with PDAs

A mini display derived from a portable-DVD player - only higher resolution. Be really cool if could run wirelessly too.

Battery pack to supplant the powerbrick.

Now you've got a pocket'puter - Put it in a backpack pocket and pull out only the keyboard & display and bang away.

Better still, ditch the combo-drive and HD and make an iPod sized system that boots off your iPod with the above display/keyboard combo!

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by OS_Xclnt:
I can see another avalanche of add-ons for the mini:

Wireless fold-up keyboard w/ touchpad similar to those used with PDAs

A mini display derived from a portable-DVD player - only higher resolution. Be really cool if could run wirelessly too.

Battery pack to supplant the powerbrick.

Now you've got a pocket'puter - Put it in a backpack pocket and pull out only the keyboard & display and bang away.

Better still, ditch the combo-drive and HD and make an iPod sized system that boots off your iPod with the above display/keyboard combo!
We already have this in 2 versions - the ibook and the 12 inch powerbook. Don't know what you'd get out of these add ons. Not that I dont think there will be tons of them along these lines....

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 12, 2005, 02:59 AM

Questions about peripherals go in the forum of the same name.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules