Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini video mode?

Mac mini video mode?
Seeker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 01:13 PM

I'm probably just being paranoid, but before I order a Mac mini, does the video system support 1280x720 (HDTV native resolution) via its DVI interface? Apple specs just give the maximum resolutions. I'm planning on hooking to a Samsung DLP HDTV.

Thanks in advance.

djmpower
Jan 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I am interested in hooking mine up to my HDTV via DVI and using it to play DVDs, etc. in place of a DVD player. Would the Mac Mini have the same resolution, quality, sharpness, etc. of a current DVD player using a DVI connection or component video connection?

Also, would the Mac Mini be able to output in true HDTV?

Thanks

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 03:43 PM

I would assume the mac mini supports any resolution between the minimum and the maximum listed on Apple's site. The quality of a full HD resoltion of 1920x1080 while playing a DVD can only be as good as a DVD at the moment, 480p instead of 1080i. So of course the imac can stretch the dvd video, which will still look just a perfect as a real dvd player using component cables. Because DVI is all digital the quality can only be better than other, analog choices. Everything on the screen will be as sharp as the resolution you set it to.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 05:11 PM

What do we need to add to the Mac mini to be able to record TV on the hard drive?

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by babble:
What do we need to add to the Mac mini to be able to record TV on the hard drive?
Probably one of the Elgato Systems EyeTV products would do the trick.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 12:25 AM

A PVR such as Tivo or Replay is a much better choice.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2005, 04:53 AM

It does work with DVI HDTV sets that have appropriate EDID though
Got that as part of a response from ATI asking about their DVI->Component adaptor on the Mini. Sadly the adaptor won't work, but for DVI equiped HDTVs, you should be fine.
<This space under renovation>

TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 02:25 AM

When I first saw the Mac mini, my first thought was what a wonderful set-top box it would make. It could easily be converted to become a DVR, and of course a DVD player.

But Apple should have included just one thing -- an infrared sensor, so that it could be operated with a remote control.

Or perhaps Apple is waiting for someone to come out with a bluetooth remote control?

With just a little stretch of the imagination, this would create a remarkable marketing opportunity. "An iPod for your tv." With Airport connectivity to your Mac, your stereo (via Airport express), the "set-top box" as being in the living room could be absolutely cool.

Apple, are you listening? ;-)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by TT Esq:
Or perhaps Apple is waiting for someone to come out with a bluetooth remote control?
You can use a bluetooth cellphone as remote control. Third parties also offer dedicated remote controls.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 12:28 PM

I'm wondering what the highest rsolutions it can produce when hooked up to a CRT and above 85 hz? Will it run 1600x1200 at 85 hz or higher?

surgestrip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 04:59 PM

1920x1080 will be limited to 60hz max cause of 9200
1280x720 can do for dlp
1600x1200 can do for regular crt

mac mini as htpc :
good for regular for resoltuions 720x480 max
above that can't do htpc functions as far as playback and encoding
slow cpu and ati card means no h264(mpeg4) support beyond 720x480
no support for wmvhd(vc9) or mpeg4hd, probably handle mpeg2hd w/ limited frame drop

velodev
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
A PVR such as Tivo or Replay is a much better choice.
It would be a much better choice if all you wanted to do was record video, but consider the Mac mini is full-blown computer the additional features make it worth the cost.

I'm slightly concerned the laptop hard drive, 4200 or 5400 rpm, might "tire out" after media streaming...

Forum Links
Forum Rules