Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Randy Moss incident...WTF?@$!#@

Randy Moss incident...WTF?@$!#@
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 06:44 PM

This has got to stop!! Fining atheletes for harmless fun...seems the religious right has gotten to American Football

Link
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 06:49 PM

The NFL has been getting serious about excessive celebrations for a couple of seasons now. What most folks don't know about this incident is where Moss got the idea. It's a common tradition for Green Bay fans to "moon" the opposing players as they pull up in their bus before the game. Moss was just simulating returning the favor, but most of America doesn't know this. I'm sure those folks who were offended by Moss' antics would temper their stance if they knew where he got the idea. And lets face it, he didn't really drop his drawers like the fans in the parking lot did to him and his team mates.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 07:02 PM

I think it's a matter of taste, rather than some religious zealots.

Look at it this way - I encourage celebrations. But the bragadocia (sp?) - Joe Horn on his cell phone, the "mooning" - is just uncalled for.

Spike the ball. Dance. Celebrate YOUR success. Don't rub it in to the opposing team or it's fans. That's just sportsmanship.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 07:03 PM

He just pretended and someone still got in a tissy?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 07:08 PM

Moss behaves like a jerk and got what he deserved !
What's the fuzz about it ?

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Spike the ball. Dance. Celebrate YOUR success. Don't rub it in to the opposing team or it's fans. That's just sportsmanship.
Did you miss it? A group of fans greets EVERY visiting team bus with a big moon. A REAL moon, with multiple cheeks, and maybe even fruit baskets....

Where are the fines for them? I believe exposing yourself is probably against some law.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 07:22 PM

Seems a bit OTT, it's not like he actually did pull a moon is it? A whole soccer team pulled a moon on the half way line once in the UK (although the team were heavily fined I think).
12" Rev B PB

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 07:50 PM

I want the Icky Shuffle back!

Priceless.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 07:51 PM

Anyone that knows anything about the Green bay vs Minnesota rivalry found it funny.

Give us a break, its cold up here, and we need to entertain ourselves.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 08:01 PM

He deserved to be fined. The "over celebrating" crap is annoying, asinine, and just breeds more of the same.
Genius. You know who.

gofridge
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 08:08 PM

gofridge is afraid he would cause an eclipse if gofridge ever mooned.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 08:12 PM

I think it was funny and some people would say I'm in the religious right. I think your point was stupid there. I think that the OVER compensation for what went on was just a cover to avert a fine from the FCC. Not that they would ever fine over something as silly as "fake mooning". They were only covering their butts (ha ha), to avoid a costly "boobie" incident.

After the game, the sportscasters really let him have it. It just sounds so petty for us to think that "fake mooning" a person is really so bad. It was funny.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 08:51 PM

The on-air commentator sounded like he was gonna vomit because of the fake mooning. He was horrified at what he saw, and repeateldly apologized to the viewers for having to see that sort of filth.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
The on-air commentator sounded like he was gonna vomit because of the fake mooning. He was horrified at what he saw, and repeateldly apologized to the viewers for having to see that sort of filth.

why should he not be?

i am outrageous and dirty too but i am here at macnn with you adults!

that nasty bad attituded jerk was doing something on national TV and showing very unsportsmanship conduct. you celebrate but you keep it clean.

i like randy moss for what he did and enjoyed it but joe buck said the right thing.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 09:34 PM

Self-righteousness abound. Aah, 'tis MacNN Lounge.
I, ASIMO.

dawho9
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 09:52 PM

The best part of all of this fine is, they interviewed him on local TV as they left Winter Park tonight. And his quote was something like, "I don't care about the $10,000 - come on look at me." Or something like that.

dw9

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
Anyone that knows anything about the Green bay vs Minnesota rivalry found it funny.

Give us a break, its cold up here, and we need to entertain ourselves.
Here here! Randy Moss should not get fined, it was funny. Its not offensive at all in any way. People think they should be offended because they are afraid of getting sued by the FuCC. People need to calm the f*ck down. heres the video if you havent seen it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 10:20 PM

It should have been a $250,000 fine, that would have wiped the smile off his face.

The fine was handed down, not by any legal body, but by the NFL. They felt he compromised the quality of their product. It's their rules and he has to live by them. If he has a problem with that, he can quit. I'm sure he'll make just as much in the CFL.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 10:39 PM

i'll be willing to bet that the bet had something to do with what happened in the nba. the nfl doesn't want some throwing a beer at randy moss and him punching out someone and lawsuits getting thrown everywhere.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
It should have been a $250,000 fine, that would have wiped the smile off his face.

The fine was handed down, not by any legal body, but by the NFL. They felt he compromised the quality of their product. It's their rules and he has to live by them. If he has a problem with that, he can quit. I'm sure he'll make just as much in the CFL.
I agree. The fines that these people receive are pocket change.
Genius. You know who.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Did you miss it? A group of fans greets EVERY visiting team bus with a big moon. A REAL moon, with multiple cheeks, and maybe even fruit baskets....

Where are the fines for them? I believe exposing yourself is probably against some law.
yea, but the NFL doesn't employ them, nor do they enforce the laws of Green Bay. I don't know the circumstances in Green Bay to comment on why it's accepted there if its so well known.

But IMO - this has nothing to do with what Green Bay fans does.... And I think the "but he did it first" excuse is lame. It's not accepted anywhere, why should it be in this case? The NFL has decided that it's not proper for their image so they acted upon it. While I wasn't at all offended (nor do I know anyone who was), I still think he deserved the fine for the simple reason that he acted like an idiot. Just cause its funny doesn't mean it's right.

BTW - Why are these fines made public? Is it for a guilt factor on the players? Or is it the NFL's way of saying.. "hey, we're doing something about it". I just don't see why it needs to be "announced".

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Look at it this way - I encourage celebrations. But the bragadocia (sp?) - Joe Horn on his cell phone
Joe Horn on the cell phone was excellent AFAIC. It didn't demean anyone -- it was just hilarious. I loved T.O.'s Sharpie as well. The best thing this year was Owens doing the Ray Lewis dance. That's just priceless. Personally, I think these celebrations are just the NFL's version of the dunk. Yes, you could just make a layup or a jump shot, but it's nice to have a little flash and variety as well. As much as I hate the Rams, I'm a little disappointed they can't do that time bomb dance again. The spin-the-ball-and-warm-your-hands-over-it-like-a-fire is also gone.

That being said, my problem with the fake moon was that it just wasn't that great. In fact, it would've been totally boring if he hadn't done the Bump against the goal post. The Bump makes everything better.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

Yeah you are right better be PC and not offend anybody.... This PC crap is killing everything.... He barely had time to do anything before his teammates got to him and congratulated him. besides it is amusing to see the TV broadcasters say how offended and disgusted they are and show the video 3 or 4 times in a row. C'mon, this is hypocrisy to its best.... The guy should be hailed to actually make football interesting.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 11:52 PM

and Moss directed the gesture at the fans, the other celebrations are just attempts at being cute (no big deal there), or at the most directed at other players on the field (which IMO is poor sport). You taunt or attack the fans, you get fined or otherwise punished... doesn't take a genius to figure this out. 50 people getting rough at a basketball game is one thing, 10K+ people getting violent at a football game is a true disaster. What do you think this is? Soccer?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 11:56 PM

he was outright dissing the packer fans! you don't disrespect them like that with something lewd! the fans are what make football what it is!

plus i don't want to see kids in flag football to start mooning and overt celebrating after every touchdown either. it's just as nasty to see as the parents of those kids get in fist fights and sh!t like that...

ugh... it's just a game but you should still try to respect your fellow human

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Yeah you are right better be PC and not offend anybody.... This PC crap is killing everything.... He barely had time to do anything before his teammates got to him and congratulated him. besides it is amusing to see the TV broadcasters say how offended and disgusted they are and show the video 3 or 4 times in a row. C'mon, this is hypocrisy to its best.... The guy should be hailed to actually make football interesting.
You don't like their rules? Then stop watching the NFL, no one's making you.
- Thomas Paine

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by macroy:
yea, but the NFL doesn't employ them, nor do they enforce the laws of Green Bay. I don't know the circumstances in Green Bay to comment on why it's accepted there if its so well known.

But IMO - this has nothing to do with what Green Bay fans does.... And I think the "but he did it first" excuse is lame. It's not accepted anywhere, why should it be in this case? The NFL has decided that it's not proper for their image so they acted upon it. While I wasn't at all offended (nor do I know anyone who was), I still think he deserved the fine for the simple reason that he acted like an idiot. Just cause its funny doesn't mean it's right.

BTW - Why are these fines made public? Is it for a guilt factor on the players? Or is it the NFL's way of saying.. "hey, we're doing something about it". I just don't see why it needs to be "announced".

Mechanics and grammar notwithstanding, bestest post in the thread, man. Have a lesbian Girl Scout cookie on me.
I, ASIMO.

porieux
Baninated
Jan 14, 2005, 12:20 AM

Footbal itself is tastless anyway so what the ****.

What a bunch of maroons.

WPFreedom1
Baninated
Jan 14, 2005, 12:22 AM

Disgusting. These folks have no respect for anything. And this is another example of one of OUR sports going to pot.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 02:53 AM

All the outrage is a little ridiculous. I thought it was funny. Some people reacted as if he actually pulled down his pants. Basically, I agree with what Tony Dungy said a few days ago.

You know if some media-darling type did the same thing -- Brett Favre, for example -- people would be falling all over themselves saying how funny it was.

However ... Randy did himself no favors today after practice when he spoke to a TV reporter:

Reporter: "Write the check yet, Randy?"

Moss: "When you're rich you don't write checks."

Reporter: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?"

Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

Reporter: "Randy, are you upset about the fine?"

Moss: "No, cause it ain't ****. Ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me? Ain't **** � Next time I might shake my dick."
Video here (Windows Media, unfortunately)

Corintheus
Jan 14, 2005, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
This has got to stop!! Fining atheletes for harmless fun...seems the religious right has gotten to American Football

Link
Some people need to get a sense of humour.

It's not a drinking problem if I don't have a problem with it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 07:41 AM

I was laughing honestly. Dont take the fun out of the game, this is a game. Let them have their fun. If you dont want to have the guy celebrate.... learn to play defense and dont let him score.

dawho9
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 09:08 AM

Another Randy qutoe for you. Asked if he had already sent a check, he said:

"Rich people send cash, homie."

dw9

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 09:19 AM

I am mooning the NFL right now.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 09:28 AM

I dunno, in High School football, spiking the ball or otherwise celebrating would get you called for unsportsmanlike conduct (at least when I played). We lost a touchdown for that junk once, but I believe at that level it's more important to beat things like character and sportsmanship into kids.

Celebrations in the NFL are crowd-pleasers, and that's why they are allowed, within reason. The NFL considers insulting the fans (read: paying customers) very uncool.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

KSE7696
Jan 14, 2005, 12:33 PM

... and people wonder how and where kids pick up on some of this stuff. Kids look up to athletes and they are heros to them. They watch and see EVERYTHING they do... and sometimes go out and try to act like them. Do you honestly want your kid showboating and going around "fake mooning" every time he scores a touchdown in a little league football game? Or after he hits a homerun in a little league baseball game? What if it got your kid to thinking of doing a "full moon" instead right there in front of everybody?

The NFL probably wouldn't have done anything to him if it wasn't a nationally televised game were everybody and their brother saw it.

I just think it's sad that true sportsmanship is pretty much gone in professional sports these days.

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest. I already know there are a lot of you that will probably flame me, but that is fine. I just don't want to hear it if your kid starts going around mooning everybody and you eventually get annoyed and do not think it's funny any longer. Or if a kid on the other team does it and you don't think it's funny.

That's just my 2 cents.

Take Care Everybody!
C-ya,
Kevin

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 04:45 PM

i believe the whole randy moss mooning thing is overblown...as a viks fan i like randy moss alot. he has made some mistakes but i think he is a good guy. i think he likes to get under peoples skin anyways randy is cool with me...straight cash homie

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
All the outrage is a little ridiculous. I thought it was funny. Some people reacted as if he actually pulled down his pants. Basically, I agree with what Tony Dungy said a few days ago.

You know if some media-darling type did the same thing -- Brett Favre, for example -- people would be falling all over themselves saying how funny it was.

However ... Randy did himself no favors today after practice when he spoke to a TV reporter:

Video here (Windows Media, unfortunately)

shake my dick? haha i didn't hear that part...anyways the nfl has to had a bad guy and since TO is injured now moss has to step up

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
i believe the whole randy moss mooning thing is overblown...as a viks fan i like randy moss alot. he has made some mistakes but i think he is a good guy. i think he likes to get under peoples skin anyways randy is cool with me...straight cash homie
Thanks for your completely objective, unbiased opinion

-t

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Thanks for your completely objective, unbiased opinion

-t
yeah i know, if favre would have done it to the viks fans i probably would have been pissed too

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 05:14 PM

Meh. It all went downhill since Joe Montana retired anyways.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Meh. It all went downhill since Joe Montana retired anyways.
Watch Manning play. Right now, he's playing better than any other player has ever played the position.
- Thomas Paine

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2005, 05:51 PM

I think it was in bad taste. Children look up to these players, and if there is no respect on the field it teaches a bad lesson.

Additionally, I believe that if they don't assess serious fines for these celebrations, the taunting will get worse and somebody WILL get killed on the field.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:13 PM

Green Bay fans would have been a lot less upset if it wasn't for the fact that Moss and the Vikings had just showed the Packers the pimp hand. Had the score been 27-10 Packers, the reaction would probably have been, "Meh."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Had the score been 27-10 Packers, the reaction would probably have been, "Meh."
True, it was very unfortunate.
The Vikings will be kicked out soon as well, so I'm not worried

-t

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 10:42 PM

I was ok with what Randy did in Green Bay... yeah, it was kinda stupid, but harmless.

What I'm annoyed at was his comments afterwards. "What is 10 grand to me?"

I hope the NFL decides to do something that will get his attention... maybe suspend him for the first game next year or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules