Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why Does Apple Have to Install RAM and Airport Card?

Why Does Apple Have to Install RAM and Airport Card?
iStudent 2003
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2005, 02:04 AM

Why Does Apple Have to Install RAM and Airport Card, and is Apple gonna charge for installing them even if I bring them to an Apple Store?

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by iStudent 2003:
Why Does Apple Have to Install RAM and Airport Card, and is Apple gonna charge for installing them even if I bring them to an Apple Store?

Has something to do with the Warranty I suspect. Once the case is open they want to avoid having any problems caused by a 'user'. I don't like this myself... but it is their 'policy'

I guess even if you take the components to them, you still need to pay a charge for the Technician who has to perform the installation??

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 17, 2005, 02:28 AM

If you're buying from the online Apple Store, I would get them to install the Airport card and Bluetooth, Airport because it costs no more for them to install it, and Bluetooth because I don't think it can be added afterwards.

For RAM though, it would be worth checking how much a technician would charge and see what the price difference is between RAM bought and installed from Apple - or 3rd party RAM plus the after market install.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

velodev
Senior User
Jan 17, 2005, 06:10 AM

Any word on the actual fees?

APX and Bluetooth aren't even user-installable in Powerbooks or G5's so this isn't much news. But for RAM to no longer be user-installable, that makes me grow even more frustrated with Apple's memory policies. First, they hate 3rd party RAM even though their prices aren't even close to market-norm. Second, they are getting very limited in which 3rd party brands are even operational with Panther/Tiger, etc. And now third, you'll need them to install it... and do you think they'll install your 3rd party at the Genius Bar. They might, but then that brings me to fourth, they'll charge you on top of it.

nbnz
Senior User
Jan 17, 2005, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Any word on the actual fees?

APX and Bluetooth aren't even user-installable in Powerbooks or G5's so this isn't much news. But for RAM to no longer be user-installable, that makes me grow even more frustrated with Apple's memory policies. First, they hate 3rd party RAM even though their prices aren't even close to market-norm. Second, they are getting very limited in which 3rd party brands are even operational with Panther/Tiger, etc. And now third, you'll need them to install it... and do you think they'll install your 3rd party at the Genius Bar. They might, but then that brings me to fourth, they'll charge you on top of it.
APX is user-installable on PowerBooks and G5s. Bluetooth isn't, I think the bluetooth is soldered on.
I suspect the limitations on the Mac mini are merely a design constraint due to the size, rather than Apple's policies.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 09:46 AM

But what we REALLY await is a hands-on review... from someone who's had one and taken it apart... so we'll know whether one can swap the RAM out without any other (Apple repair) person being able to tell that the case had been (without authorization) opened.

I'm with velodev about the RAM frustration.

As far as I'm concerned, there is NO $499 mini... I could NEVER urge anyone to buy a Mac with 256MB. Would YOU inflict that experience on a friend? or expect that experience to win over a new Mac user?

I think there'll be a lot of unhappy buyers of the $499 units.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 11:14 AM

from this site, hardly official, but maybe informative:

http://www.macintouch.com/mwsf2005notebook.html

Apple "does not recommend" that users upgrade the memory themselves - you're supposed to have a service provider do it if you want to add more after purchase - but doing it yourself does not void the warranty unless you damage something. A booth person told me the memory slot is easily accessible once you get the case open.
by other net reports, there are tabs sort of holding the top onto the bottom. you just need to pry them apart, probably similar to an ipod.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 12:25 PM

The bluetooth is probably soldered to the board, but does anyone know if the Airport Extreme card is a standard one as fitted to the other macs?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
The bluetooth is probably soldered to the board, but does anyone know if the Airport Extreme card is a standard one as fitted to the other macs?
I'm not sure if the APX card is that same or not. I did read that it needed to be installed by Apple because they needed to install the antenna at the same time. It seems that upgrading later just wouldn't be as easy as just dropping the card in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules