Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > a level up...is it really worth it?

a level up...is it really worth it?
Kilik101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 02:02 AM

Currently i have 512 mb of ram installed in my dual 1.8 g5. It really sucks right now cause of the fact it pages quite a bit. I primly use Photoshop and illy quite often for work and personal art. So i'm thinking later this week to upgrade to a gig. I can't really afford 2 gigs right now so what i'm wondering is. is that extra 512 really worth it? I understand anything to the 2nd power is a significant up, but should i just suck up the performance pain and wait out for a purchase of 2 gigs? I just can't stand fearing the horrid paging when reopening an idle running ps doc but if just getting another 512 is irrational i'll wait out.

Like always thank you so much for your time.

dwood
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 02:07 AM

really depends on how much you are doing, not just in photoshop, but what other apps you have open too. Most people can do just fine with 1gb, it's a good amount of memory after all. If your unsure, just buy a single 1gb chip, and feel it out, upgrade beyond that if you think that your lacking still.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 02:55 AM

For PhotoShop, get as much as you can afford. 512 is not enough. 1GB is barely enough if you're serious about PS. No sense having a good computer and handicapping it with too little ram.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 03:48 AM

Any time someone says they are using Photoshop, Logic, Garageband, or Final Cut Pro, I suggest to get the most they can insanely get!

1 GB of RAM should be considered minimum when it comes to programs like the ones I listed.

Originally posted by Randman:
For PhotoShop, get as much as you can afford. 512 is not enough. 1GB is barely enough if you're serious about PS. No sense having a good computer and handicapping it with too little ram.

Dr.Michael
Jan 21, 2005, 09:15 AM

There is a freeware application that tells you if and how much memory you need exactly trimmed to your working style. Its called Do I need more Memory. Works really great.

If you cannot afford more than 512, buy now and sell as soon as you can buy more. 512 MB still pays back 80% of its original price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules