Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rate my network

Rate my network
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 06:26 PM

**** Please see my explanation at my reply below ****

If any of your fellow mac heads have a home network (And I know many of you do), show us what you got, and we'll rate it.

Here's mine. Tell me what you think: http://www.ratemynetworkdiagram.com/?i=682

I'd also like add that this is my "router": http://www.hotbrick.com/produto.asp?tipo=2&codPro=22
( Last edited by mac-at-kearsarge; Jan 19, 2005 at 11:24 PM. )
iGeek

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 06:29 PM

wow.

recogniser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 06:31 PM

Where's the diagram for "stealing free wireless internet from some moron in my apartment complex who has an unsecured router?"

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 19, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by mac-at-kearsarge:
If any of your fellow mac heads have a home network (And I know many of you do), show us what you got, and we'll rate it.

Looks nice ... before doing the geek thing and rating it - what's the bandwidth of your EoP bridge and, if it's a regular one (roughly @ airport speed), why in the world would you hook up a gigabit switch to that? Excess of disposable income?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2005, 06:36 PM

And what exactly do you DO with it, besides showing it off ?

-t

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 07:57 PM

It's all about the wireless�

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 08:23 PM

red flags-

XP with SP1.
iBook as server.
gigabit to old, probably non gigabit compliant hardware.

seems a little much to me. i dunno though.

-Q-
Jan 19, 2005, 08:30 PM

I love OmniGraffle.

Click for a bigger pic.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 08:40 PM

Seems excessive. But hey, if you have the duckets, go for it.

Few points:

Are the providers that unreliable that you need two? or you going for performance? Why just 1 router/FW (still a single point of failure there) and not 2 running hsrp/vrrp?.

Gig switches at home? why? Especially when that whole collision domain on the left is bridged by a much smaller pipe.

That server closet... is that the DMZ (from the addressing scheme.. it looks like a flat network)? OR are you actually allowing public access into your private network?

Sorry for being a devils advocate. But I guess I just find it excessive ... but your needs are not stated. So it may all be required (with the exception of the last twi points.. which is a serious risk).

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2005, 11:13 PM

Wow, hotornot for networks. Can't get geekier than that.

Seriously though, iBook as a server? What kind of messed up world is this? What's next? Google replaces their servers with Palm Pilots?

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Looks nice ... before doing the geek thing and rating it - what's the bandwidth of your EoP bridge and, if it's a regular one (roughly @ airport speed), why in the world would you hook up a gigabit switch to that? Excess of disposable income?

Let me start my explaing that my employer allows me to purchase such items as Gigabit switches at a rpic where doing so just for the heck of it (and bragging rights) is acceptable. Furthermore, I do a lot a file moving between systems on both sides. So much sot hat I find having Gigabit does make an extremely notible differance.

As for the EoP Bridge, I was highly skeptical about it working as I wanted, But after testing this setup with wireless, and being extremely disappointed with the results, I figured I give it a try.

I had heard many less the great things about EoP, But to my surprise, it works amazingly well. The manufacter states it can get up to 14Mbps. I on average get 12Mbps (More then fast enough for the Internet servers).

The purpose of this whole setup is essentially just for the hell of it and to advance my knowledge in the field. Right now I just run my own personal site and some sites of some of my friends from my HTTP server. All the systems that I could upgrade to have Gigabit cards I have.

I guess the best way of explaining this is, that to me, setting up a network like this is a hobby. An odd one perhaps, but I can't help get a thrill out of doing it non the less.

I should probably point out that all 4 of the current servers are hardware that was just given to me by folks who didn't need it any more (except for the Sony Vaio with I bought when I was in college and they isn't that I MUST have a windows system *rolls eyes* The whole time I was there Inever used for a school project).
iGeek

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2005, 11:17 PM

The purpose of this whole setup is essentially just for the hell of it and to advance my knowledge in the field. Right now I just run my own personal site and some sites of some of my friends from my HTTP server. All the systems that I could upgrade to have Gigabit cards I have.

I guess the best way of explaining this is, that to me, setting up a network like this is a hobby. An odd one perhaps, but I can't help get a thrill out of doing it non the less.
I have a friend with just that hobby. Or rather, it was his hobby until he finally got a job where now he gets paid to do it.

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I have a friend with just that hobby. Or rather, it was his hobby until he finally got a job where now he gets paid to do it.
I think you're starting to smell what I'm cooking .
iGeek

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I love OmniGraffle.

Click for a bigger pic.
Question for you-

my sister has vonage as well and a cable connection. i poach her wireless (i live upstairs).

much like you do there, she has the same modem>vonage>router setup. thing is though, as soon as she gets a call, the internet just about stops.

you notice anything like this going on? i guess for her and her housemate it's no big deal as they are either online or on the phone, but for me it's a pain in the ass.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 12:48 AM

My network (in words, since I don't have omnigraffle):

Bellsouth DSL to landline router
--PS2
--G3 iMac (server to outside world)
--Windows PC
--second wired/wireless router, acting as a switch/wireless bridge
----eMac (my main computer)
----wireless PC laptop

Not too complex. 5 devices (2 macs, 1 PC, 1 PS2, 1 wireless PC laptop), 1 wired router, 1 wireless router, 1 static IP DSL "extreme" line (384 up/3000 down). Local eMac USB printer serving as a network printer, G3 iMac serving as a fax server.

*note: neither PC on the network is mine. The desktop is my roommates, the wireless laptop is my neighbor's (who I hooked in because I wanted to play with wireless and, well .. he sprung for the PC).

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
(in words, since I don't have omnigraffle):[/B]
It's free to download and use on a trial basis. The Omni Group even says if you want to get a "free trial license" every day, it's OK with them. Just go to their store and click the "free trial license" link. I use OG so rarely that the trial license is perfect for the occasions when I do want to use it.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:18 AM

In words, 'coz even though I do have OmniGraffle I can't be bothered to do a diagram and upload it to anywhere.

ADSL to Intertex IX66 firewall/router.
- DMZ 1 : IBM x205 running Windows on 192.168.10.2
- DMZ 2 : IBM x225 running Linux on 192.168.20.2
- Interior : cheapo Belkin switch into:
-- 17" TFT iMac on 192.168.0.2
-- homebrew AMD running Windows on 192.168.0.3

I know, I know. I had to use the IBM's for something (hate waste) and the "interior" Windoze box is required 'coz I have to transfer some old business accounts over (by hand - eek!).

Other Macs not on the network 'coz they don't need to be.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:23 AM

This is the nerd version of Am I hot.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
But without the ugly people who you really want to give a "1" to but end up giving a "5" so they don't feel so upset when they check their averages.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:48 AM

.... says the guy with half a dozen star wars nick names.

But you are correct ... this is the ceremonial banging of the plastic toys
[/triumph]

-Q-
Jan 20, 2005, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
Question for you-

my sister has vonage as well and a cable connection. i poach her wireless (i live upstairs).

much like you do there, she has the same modem>vonage>router setup. thing is though, as soon as she gets a call, the internet just about stops.

you notice anything like this going on? i guess for her and her housemate it's no big deal as they are either online or on the phone, but for me it's a pain in the ass.
The only time any problem has occurred has been when I've had a large upload going on (like a Torrent for instance) - that can intefere with voice quality on the phone. Otherwise, I've not noticed any problems with an internet connection and using the phone simultaneously.

There's a few settings that can be tweaked on your vonage box (at a very basic level, it too is a router) to ensure your connections are usable at the same time. I'd play around with those to fix that issue b/c that definitely not the way it's supposed to work.

Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
.... says the guy with half a dozen star wars nick names.
I am a nerd because my sigs make fun of star wars?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 12:05 PM

I am a nerd because my sigs make fun of star wars?
No, you're a nerd 'coz you're conversing on a computer forum.

Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
No, you're a nerd 'coz you're conversing on a computer forum.
Asking about my network setup no less right?

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 12:13 PM

Asking about my network setup no less right?
BINGO!
iGeek

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I love OmniGraffle.

Click for a bigger pic.
Where did you get that OmniGraffle palette? I can't seem to find it!
12" Rev B PB

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Thorin:
Where did you get that OmniGraffle palette? I can't seem to find it!
I'm guessing that most of those objects are dragged in images off the manufacturers' web sites.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 12:58 PM

My home network isn't very exciting, so I'll show you my work network instead (which my coworker and I are responsible for):

Here's the overall scope and layout of the network:

Here's a slightly zoomed-in look at just the server-side of things:

To appreciate this, though, you gotta realize that when my coworker and I started this job in July of '03, the whole district was a flat network (no VLANs at all). Considering that the network spans 8 buildings, transitioning to our current layout was a big undertaking. Next step is to put the high school (UHS) on its own VLAN (another 10.x.x.x), separate from the servers. The 172.16.x.x network was the one previously used district-wide, so moving everything off of that has been a slow, gradual process.

The pictures were generated by InterMapper, which we use to keep an eye on things. It provides us an up-to-the-second idea of the status of every major entity on our network, and sends us email the moment something isn't right. It's a pretty nifty product.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2005, 01:00 PM

I'm guessing that most of those objects are dragged in images off the manufacturers' web sites.
There's a great network stencil that comes with OG. I think all those images are from it. [edit: after looking at it, I guess some aren't there, quite a few actually, so maybe they are his own after all, or they are from a downloaded stencil from the OmniGraffle website]

FYI, it's under Stencils > Business > Nework.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
There's a great network stencil that comes with OG. I think all those images are from it. [edit: after looking at it, I guess some aren't there, quite a few actually, so maybe they are his own after all, or they are from a downloaded stencil from the OmniGraffle website]
Yeah - a lot of that stuff ain't there. But let's face it, it ain't hard to make your own - I often drag in images off the web to make guitar effect pedal connection diagrams.

-Q-
Jan 21, 2005, 09:41 AM

Most of the images were simply a quick google image search to find what I was looking for. The network connection lines and OS images are from one of the stencils on OmniGroup's site. Took about an hour to put it all together for a class I was teaching on home networking.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2005, 11:44 AM

Thanks folks

I've not used graffle much, and had only used existing palette's before.
12" Rev B PB

DarwinX
Jan 21, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:

The pictures were generated by InterMapper, which we use to keep an eye on things. It provides us an up-to-the-second idea of the status of every major entity on our network, and sends us email the moment something isn't right. It's a pretty nifty product.
I briefly got to see this product before my internship ended at a public school district. Definintely a cool product. Thanks for sharing that info!

Forum Links
Forum Rules