Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto Questions (basic)

iPhoto Questions (basic)
innerimager
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 02:24 PM

I'm a pro digital photographer who has ignored iPhoto until today, when I got my '05 upgrade. I'm quite impressed with a lot of what I see, (some that may have always been there) but have some very basic questions, please.
1. Organizing by client name or any name...how? when I import a folder of wedding pics, they end up in the library without any option to name them. I see that the principal of storage by date is one factor, but surely there must be a way of keeping the Smith Wedding from the Jones wedding, and finding them under a name I choose,no?
2. Related to above, when I import a second folder from another wedding in the same year, they are added to the first folder in the browser. Very different than typical catalogues.
3. Regarding the edit window. I am impresses to say the least at how straightening is implemented, (beats photoshop by a mile), and how the image adjustments appear. BUT, there is no way I see to say, "forget it" or move from the adjusted image to the original. This makes real editing impossible. What am I missing?

Well, that's enough for now. Thanks a lot if you can help a newbie to iPhoto....Peter

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 02:52 PM

I've answered one question. I see I can create a new album, then select the images I want and drag them all to the album to separate different events. Still very surprised that when importing, you can't simply create an "album" for those photos at the same time...Peter

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 02:54 PM

Lets get in here before the barrage of iPhoto haters.
The 'Library' is an automated 'Album' containing ALL your photos. iPhoto handles the structure within here all by it's self. It groups them in to years. This also mostly mirrors iPhotos organisation of the files on the HD.
To create other Albums you have to click the '+' button at the bottom of iPhoto's window.
Albums can be of two sorts. Regular, where you add the photos manually Dragging & Dropping them on the Albums out of the main window. And Smart Albums, which will fill themselves using whatever search criteria you give them.
Now as iPhoto doesn't create now Albums from dragged in folders, I have found that the best way to create an Album containing an entire folder of images is to use the 'Last Roll' item. This contains the last set of photos imported in to iPhoto ether via transfer from a camera or by drag & drop from the finder. So you create a new Album and drag all the photos from the 'Last Roll' to the new Album.

The best advice I can give about the way iPhoto organises the files in the finder is to ignore it totally. Use iPhoto for ALL interaction with these files. Want to open a Photo in Photoshop? Find it in iPhoto and drag it on to PhotoShops icon. Want to email some photos? You can ether hit the email button in iPhoto or Drag them on to Mails icon. Want a copy of some of the Photos? Drag them out of iPhoto in to a new folder on the desktop. Etc.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by innerimager:
3. Regarding the edit window. I am impresses to say the least at how straightening is implemented, (beats photoshop by a mile), and how the image adjustments appear. BUT, there is no way I see to say, "forget it" or move from the adjusted image to the original. This makes real editing impossible. What am I missing?
In the previous iphoto (current for most people), while editing, the right-click/option-click menu has "Revert to Original" at the bottom of the list. I cant see why Apple would've taken that out for ilife 05. See if it's there.

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 04:07 PM

I guess just as you were posting I found this under the Photo menu. Indeed, you can revert to saved. Thanks..Peter

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

1. Organizing by client name or any name...how? when I import a folder of wedding pics, they end up in the library without any option to name them. I see that the principal of storage by date is one factor, but surely there must be a way of keeping the Smith Wedding from the Jones wedding, and finding them under a name I choose,no?
You can add the client's name or any other text describing the image to the comments field of the image.
But I think iPhoto is not intended for professional use.
3. BUT, there is no way I see to say, "forget it" or move from the adjusted image to the original.
There is a "Revert to original" command in iPhoto.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:11 PM

I've answered one question. I see I can create a new album, then select the images I want and drag them all to the album to separate different events. Still very surprised that when importing, you can't simply create an "album" for those photos at the same time...Peter
Yes, this would be a handy and obvious feature. I'm guessing however, Apple's approach is akin to iTunes. After all, when you import an album into iTunes, it doesn't automatically create a playlist for it.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
Yes, this would be a handy and obvious feature. I'm guessing however, Apple's approach is akin to iTunes. After all, when you import an album into iTunes, it doesn't automatically create a playlist for it.
if you drag the folder of pics from the finder to the blank area on the left below your current albums (or playlists when dragging audio files for that matter) you'll get a new album (playlist).

Scampura
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 04:34 PM

While you're editing a picture in iPhoto 5, hold down the control key and the image will quickly change back to its unedited state. When you release the control key, the image returns to your edit-in-progress. This is the easiest way to get instant before-and-after feedback while you are editing a picture.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
if you drag the folder of pics from the finder to the blank area on the left below your current albums (or playlists when dragging audio files for that matter) you'll get a new album (playlist).
True, but a one-step solution on image import would be slicker.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 22, 2005, 04:56 PM

How do you rename a photo?
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:58 PM

that is a one step solution on image import. the only restriction is you can't use the "import" button. as it is, i never do that (use the button) since i shoot raw and clean up in photoshop before importing to iphoto. perhaps iphoto 5's raw file integration will change my perspective, but i still can't anticipating not photoshopping, and thus not having the photos in a folder in the finder rather than on the card, before stashing them away in iphoto.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 22, 2005, 05:05 PM

Nevermind! Figured it out...
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 05:22 PM

Great, thanks...Peter

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Scampura:
While you're editing a picture in iPhoto 5, hold down the control key and the image will quickly change back to its unedited state. When you release the control key, the image returns to your edit-in-progress. This is the easiest way to get instant before-and-after feedback while you are editing a picture.
Excellent! thanks...Peter

jkempster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 05:23 PM

How about click on View-->Film Rolls. Then your imports are brought in as one film roll WHICH YOU CAN NAME. That is what I did for my wedding stuff. If you have more than one import, not problem. Just drag the pictures from one to the other. Now you have one film roll named correctly and on the right date. No albums needed.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 05:31 PM

that is a one step solution on image import. the only restriction is you can't use the "import" button. as it is, i never do that (use the button) since i shoot raw and clean up in photoshop before importing to iphoto. perhaps iphoto 5's raw file integration will change my perspective, but i still can't anticipating not photoshopping, and thus not having the photos in a folder in the finder rather than on the card, before stashing them away in iphoto.
If that's your workflow then that works, of course.

My workflow is the exact opposite of yours, actually. I dump images from cards directly to iView and create/organize the filesystem from within iView, then pick-and-choose what I'm going to Photoshop edit from the catalog. Testing iPhoto now, I'm working basically the same way, except iPhoto of course handles the filesystem end of it.

Still, an option when importing directly from a card/camera to iPhoto that says "Create Album of this roll" would be very handy. I would also welcome more of the functionality of Image Capture, whereby I can see the thumbs of all the images and pick-and-choose what I import, rather than a blind dump.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by jkempster:
How about click on View-->Film Rolls. Then your imports are brought in as one film roll WHICH YOU CAN NAME. That is what I did for my wedding stuff. If you have more than one import, not problem. Just drag the pictures from one to the other. Now you have one film roll named correctly and on the right date. No albums needed.
ditto to this. If you view your library as Rolls this will solve your needs. Rolls are created every import session. However you can create new rolls from a selection of photos (in case you have 2 weddings imported in one session). You can also combine rolls as jkempster suggested above.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules