Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > 12" PB Optical drive upgrade

12" PB Optical drive upgrade
x user
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:08 PM

I have a Rev.B 12"PB that I want to put a Superdrive in, so two Q:

Is it any harder than the iBook I upgraded? (iBook 500, from CD to DVD)
Are the Superdrives available for a decent price (IE better to upgrade whole computer?)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2005, 01:35 PM

The optical drives in the original G4 PowerBooks had the casings removed from the drive mechanism, which made things fiddly. I think the newer ones should be more like the iBook, so you might be able to perform a straight swap. You should check this before proceeding however.

If you can do it, check the drive compatability DB at xlr8yourmac.com, pick the model of drive you fancy, and try and source one for a good price. Worth checking eBay, but I think OWC do them and you could also consider looking for a PC spec drive. These are usually cheaper, but often have different firmware, so make sure you can flash the drive with Mac firmware before you buy it. There is a bunch of region free Mac firmware patches available here:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download2.html

Obviously they are intended to bypass region coding systems, but if you write them over the PC firmware, they will do the job very nicely.

Patchburn is a handy thing to have if you experience problems getting burn support to work properly.

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:20 AM

Apple uses pioneer drives right? Maybe
http://www.esbuy.com/pisllosldvdr.html
would work?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2005, 10:22 AM

Pioneer drives in alot of desktops. Most notebook drives are Matshita (AKA Matsushita, Panasonic). Sony are usually OK too.
But the bottom line is, if you can't find it in the DB, you risk spending money on a drive that you won't be able to get working. You can always sell it again I guess.

XLR8 Drive Compatibility DB:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

If it works in one Mac, chances are it will work in another (under same OS).

The DB will not only tell you which drives can be made to work, but also which hacks (if any) are required to make them work.
You may find the FAQ useful as well.

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2005, 08:28 PM

We upgraded my Powerbook 12" (pictures of taking it apart and putting it back together) - we changed the optical drive from combo to super, and hard drive to be 80 GB ...

It took my bf nearly 1,5 hours to complete. Experience in take aparts, service manuals and right tools .. the 12" isn't an easy one to DIY, said by someone who's taken apart at least one of each Apple laptop...

The list price for the superdrive is far over 300$ so costs more even to DIY than to get it with superdrive in the first place ... interesting experience, but I would not suggest it to be done home unless you REALLY knwo what you are doing or have someone with a lot of experience in laptop takeaparts to do it for you.

::1 ::2 ::3 ::

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 09:36 PM

I've done quite a bit of laptop take-apart, including overclocking my ibook 500, but It's seeming to be cost-prohibitive at this point. I might just wait for the next rev. of the PB 12 and go for that.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2005, 07:03 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules