Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic Mac OS Nostalgia

Classic Mac OS Nostalgia (Page 2)
Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 11:41 AM

It was fun to start up and shut down then. I had the THX sound for starting and a toliet flush for shutting down. Loved doing that at the end of the work day.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Judge_Fire  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 11:55 AM

Oh yeah:

Gravit�!

I couldn't believe doing that was possible under OS 9, but it was.

J

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
Oh yeah:

Gravit�!

J
Yeah, that was awesome. Actually, I thought of it, too. But I couldn't recall the name and was too lazy to describe it� I wan't that for OS X! Although, after some time it was anoying.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Wow.

Oddly, the rest of the world consider's OS X's memory management to be among the most robust on the market, while OS 9 shines through a near-total ABSENCE of any memory management at all. CharlesS's post should have jogged your obviously rose-tinted memory a bit on that point.
mAxximo is a troll.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:10 PM

A joke extension called NVWLS, when installed it stopped the vowel keys on the keyboard from working. NVWLS, No VoWeLS, geddit?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Xestrel
Jan 21, 2005, 01:17 PM

I miss how the extensions you loaded would scroll across the bottom of the screen on startup - espcially those special few that were actually animated! It was a matter of pride to see how many you could get to load, and then unload them when you urealized the computer was too clow to work with.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
Honestly, I do miss Pop up windows (the ones you dragged to the bottom of the screen) and ResEdit.
I did too, until I discovered DragThing. It's a great replacement for pop-up folders, and actually quite a better implementation than pop-up folders were.

I also miss (duck for cover) Internet Explorer which in it's day was a pretty solid browser.
Nah, Safari, Camino, FireFox, and Shiira today are far better than IE ever was, even back in its prime.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
Oh yeah:

Gravit�!

J
Best. Extension. Ever.

I loved how it would work in other apps that used the Drag Manager. Dragging large images in IE and watching the system slow to a crawl as it tried to spin it.

Or setting the gravity to zero and watching icons slowly float across the desktop... Ah, good times.

I would kill for an OS X version. Kill I tell you.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 09:14 PM

While I have my fair bit of nostalgia, three things pop out in my mind.

1. SimEarth. Thank god I have a Macintosh TV to run it on because for some reason, OS X doesn't want to support 16 colors.

2. A "security" extension my friend had installed on his B&W G3. On startup, it asked for a password but would never accept one. The extension would only release you to the desktop when you hit cmd-Esc -- by design.

3. "My voice is my password."
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
Of course OS X has its flaws and many of Apple's apps in particular. One thing I would love to do is have none of my icons bounce, EVER. So when safari times out, NO BOUNCE, and when Mail can't connect to the server, NO BOUNCE.
The program you're looking for is called DockDetox, I think. Try searching for that.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
I did too, until I discovered DragThing. It's a great replacement for pop-up folders, and actually quite a better implementation than pop-up folders were.

Nah, Safari, Camino, FireFox, and Shiira today are far better than IE ever was, even back in its prime.
Thanks for the heads up. I've found more efficient solutions for my work flow, but I'll give Drag Thing a look at.

As for Browsers, Safari and FireFox are definitely better than IE was/is. However in it's day I remember being very happy with it compared to it's competition.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2005, 01:11 AM

Word 5.1 - quite possibly the best word processor the world will ever see. At least WAY better than the crappy Word 2004.

How come my 16Mhz (or something like that) IIsi could scroll quickly through a word doc, but my 1.4Ghz G4 gets all choked up?? M$.......

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by LeeG:
How come my 16Mhz (or something like that) IIsi could scroll quickly through a word doc, but my 1.4Ghz G4 gets all choked up?? M$.......
The problem is not MS, it's OS X. Go scroll a Word document on a PC or in OS 9. The only OS that needs a Dual G5 to 'sort of' drive its interface is OS X. And even at that it still lags noticeably behind any other operating system.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:27 PM

One of the things I miss the most about old Mac OS was ResEdit. Hacking NIBs is cool and all, but I used to come up with some cool stuff in ResEdit.

NetBunny was sweet too. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it, but I found this cvs repository of something that looks like a version of Netbunny ported to OS X. Looks like there's a bunch of code there but I suck at using cvs, and I don't really want to take the time to download each file from http. Maybe someone else can do something with this: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...cue/NetBunnyX/
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 04:29 PM

What I miss the most about the Classic Mac was not having to listen to mAxximo.

-- Jason

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by mAxximo:
The problem is not MS, it's OS X. Go scroll a Word document on a PC or in OS 9. The only OS that needs a Dual G5 to 'sort of' drive its interface is OS X. And even at that it still lags noticeably behind any other operating system.
Yes, because Word for Mac OS X uses the exact same interface codebase as the OS 9 and Windows versions.

Talk about what you know, man. TextEdit scrolled fine (as do the more heavy-duty WPs) even on my crappy old 400 MHz G4. This is clearly a problem with the code in Word, not a fundamental OS issue.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
NetBunny was sweet too. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it, but I found this cvs repository of something that looks like a version of Netbunny ported to OS X. Looks like there's a bunch of code there but I suck at using cvs, and I don't really want to take the time to download each file from http. Maybe someone else can do something with this: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...cue/NetBunnyX/
If someone is recreating NetBunny, they will want to be careful not to get sued by Eveready like the original did...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2005, 05:21 PM

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 05:34 PM

Abiword, AppleWorks, NeoOffice, OpenOffice all scroll just fine.

All your posts are very negative. You are a troll. You remind me of a group of old man sitting around talking about the "good old days".

"Yeah, I remember when I had to reboot my Mac 4-5 times a day. I would take a break every time and that's how I found my wife. We would see each other at the water fountain. I sure am glad her Mac crashed too".

"I remember when I could only use 1 application at a time because there was a good chance my system would crash if I opened more. I didn't work near as hard as I do now".

"Back in the old days kids had more respect. They wouldn't complain about the Finder locking up. Apple told them it was normal and they respected that. I sure do miss those days".

Get over it. If Apple hadn't changed for the better I am fairly certain the company would be close to non-existence. Why don't you "switch" to Windows? You would fit in very well with the rest of the Mac bashers. Better yet, for everyone's sake, turn off your computer and throw it out a 10th floor window. Maybe it will be fast enough for your just for that last few seconds.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2005, 06:07 PM

If someone is recreating NetBunny, they will want to be careful not to get sued by Eveready like the original did...
Oh god, I never heard that part of it. I bet Duracell wouldn't have sued.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Oh god, I never heard that part of it. I bet Duracell wouldn't have sued.
Yep, the author later released an updated version, "NetBunny 2 1/2: The Smell of Lawsuits", that replaced the bunny's head with Leslie Nelson's, in order to get Eveready off his back. The original version was removed from distribution, unfortunately.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 10:58 PM

I miss Platinum.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I miss Platinum.
Agree to some degree. But mainly for the fun antiqueness of it. I am like twice more productive in Aqua these days. OS X plus the iApps is the killer combo. But it sure wasn't like that to begin with in the transition days of course.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2005, 11:51 AM

OH BOY http://www.wildbits.com/gravite/

more impressive than the genius effect...

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Agree to some degree. But mainly for the fun antiqueness of it. I am like twice more productive in Aqua these days. OS X plus the iApps is the killer combo. But it sure wasn't like that to begin with in the transition days of course.
I find myself a little out of control with Aqua. I'm not as aware about how many programs I have running, etc. I used to like tearing away the app switcher and using the control strip a lot. I tend to block out things like hard crashes and quitting programs in order though.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 03:23 PM

I find myself a little out of control with Aqua. I'm not as aware about how many programs I have running, etc.
Yeah I felt that way too.

After much messing about I realised that I might be able to combine the best of OS9 with the beauty and ease of use of OS X. I missed the app switcher so I came up with the plan of using TinkerTool to pin the Dock at the end of the screen in the bottom right hand corner, I then turned it vertical.

After removing every application icon and replacing them with desktop aliases I now have the best of both worlds. Every time I open an application It pops up in the Dock and the Dock gets a little taller. When I close the application the dock slips back down the screen.

It's neat and I can tell at a glance which apps are up because if they're showing in the Dock then they have to be running.

Have a look here http://homepage.mac.com/scress1958/M...toAlbum18.html

By the way I used to love the "Greg's Buttons" app under System 7.0.1 It provided hours of fun colorizing windows in the most garish colors imaginable.

(I was easily pleased in those days)
( Last edited by The Shadow; Jan 24, 2005 at 01:32 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 04:19 PM

I find myself a little out of control with Aqua. I'm not as aware about how many programs I have running, etc. I used to like tearing away the app switcher and using the control strip a lot. I tend to block out things like hard crashes and quitting programs in order though.
DragThing has an app switcher that can be configured just about exactly like the OS 9 tear-off app switcher. I keep my dock hidden and use it to switch between running apps. Although, in 10.3, the command+tab app-switcher-thingy is a pretty nice replacement. I find myself using it more and more.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
I really miss that exciting moment watching the systems extensions load and to wait wheather your mac hangs up AGAIN on this or that particular extension or not. This was great.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 02:20 AM

[BF]ont/DA Mover:
[/B]
Holy smokes, man: memories. . .

The only thing I really miss is tabbed windows.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2005, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by moreno:
OH BOY http://www.wildbits.com/gravite/

more impressive than the genius effect...
My absolute favorite extension of the later years.

Also: remember how occasionally you'd have to rename extensions to make sure they'd load in the right order in event of certain conflicts?

Damn.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 06:43 AM

I'm actually posting this from a PM G4 running 9.2 (job interview but have some down time). Oh, to have Safari right now, or something with tabs. Or my dock, even it's hidden. Or menu meters, widgets, shapeshifter, etc.

*sniff*

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by The Shadow:
After much messing about I realised that I might be able to combine the best of OS9 with the beauty and ease of use of OS X. I missed the app switcher so I came up with the plan of using TinkerTool to pin the Dock at the end of the screen in the left hand corner, I then turned it vertical.
Hmm an interesting idea. Whilst I've always thought the idea of having the dock on the sides was a bit strange you put forth a compelling reason to try it out. So I'm now running a right hand side, always visible dock as opposed to a bottom auto hiding one. I didn't take all the apps out of it thought since the reason I have OS X and 1Gb of RAM is so that I don't need to care about what's open.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 08:10 AM

I use ASM to bring back the finder menu... my most missed feature. If I could only tear it off like you could with 8.5-9.2 it would be perfect.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 09:54 AM

Actually, in all seriousness, I miss putting my powerbook to sleep at night and waking up in the morning to no appreciable battery drain. I'd gladly wait 10 seconds when lifting the lid for that kind of power management in OS X.

-- Jason

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
Actually, in all seriousness, I miss putting my powerbook to sleep at night and waking up in the morning to no appreciable battery drain. I'd gladly wait 10 seconds when lifting the lid for that kind of power management in OS X.

-- Jason
if you were running 9 on your Powerbook it must be fairly old... ergo it might just need a new battery
understand your lives are rubbish

JMII
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2005, 11:22 AM

Also: remember how occasionally you'd have to rename extensions to make sure they'd load in the right order in event of certain conflicts?
Yep... it was great to walk over to a co-workers crashing OS 8 machine and fix it quickly by just knowing a thing or two about extensions. Extension Manager with it's ability to save "sets" was a god-send.

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i was thinking about all the practical joke extensions ...
I had one called (I think) "radiation". you would slip it into the Extentions folder of other Macs. Then you could remotely create and send error/alert pop-ups to any of the victim macs. The default message was something like "The radiation shield on your Mac has failed. Please move back 20 feet."

I thought it was funny, anyway.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
I use ASM to bring back the finder menu... my most missed feature. If I could only tear it off like you could with 8.5-9.2 it would be perfect.
I have been hooked on ASM as long as I can remember - one aspect of classic I refuse to give up-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
Hmm an interesting idea. Whilst I've always thought the idea of having the dock on the sides was a bit strange you put forth a compelling reason to try it out. So I'm now running a right hand side, always visible dock as opposed to a bottom auto hiding one.
It's nice to know someone else found the idea interesting.

The whole thing came about because of a very recent migration from a mixture of OS9 and Windows machines at the school where I work to an eventual full Mac setup in May.

It was a nightmare.

The students and teachers didn't know what the heck to do with the Dock.

Kids would drag out apps just to see the poofs go off and if the cursor ventured to the bottom of the screen an app would open unexpectedly in front of the work the kids were supposed to be doing. Not good.

The end-pinned side mounted Dock idea was the lifesaver that literally prevented a mutiny!

The idea has stuck and when we get our XServe later this year that's how the NetBoot images will be configured.

PS I miss the puzzle desk accessory. I whiled away many hours with that and the scrapbook was pretty useful. Mind you I could never figure out what the heck the map was supposed to do!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
I had one called (I think) "radiation". you would slip it into the Extentions folder of other Macs. Then you could remotely create and send error/alert pop-ups to any of the victim macs. The default message was something like "The radiation shield on your Mac has failed. Please move back 20 feet."

I thought it was funny, anyway.
You can do that in OS X without any extra software. Just turn Remote Login on, then SSH in from another machine and type this:

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to display dialog "The radiation shield on this Macintosh has failed. Please step back five feet."'

Or, you can make it talk instead of displaying an error message:

say -v Fred 'Ouch! Stop hitting my mouse button so damn hard!'

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by The Shadow:
Kids would drag out apps just to see the poofs go off

PS I miss the puzzle desk accessory. I whiled away many hours with that and the scrapbook was pretty useful. Mind you I could never figure out what the heck the map was supposed to do!
Looks like the Puzzle is in for a reincarnation as a Dashboard widget in Tiger. I never did get the point of the Scrapbook. And the Map - well, I dunno. I think it was for setting the time zone or something. Good riddance.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CharlesS:
[B]

Thanks Charles for the suggestion about setting priveleges so that the Dock cannot be modified.

You're going to find this hard to believe but until recently the ones in charge of our district IT policy did not encourage the use of servers.

I am a one man show trying to maintain a..... (wait for it) PEER to PEER NETWORK of 77 computers 50 of them Macs as well as teach a class of 7 year olds.

Disabling Dock prefs on 50 Macs then having to enable them and disable them again after adding a piece of software was just too impractical.

I took the step of mounting the Dock at the side with apps as shortcuts on the desktop in desperation as the easiest, least time consuming solution to a problem that wouldn't have been there in the first place if we'd been like 99.9% of the rest of the world and had a proper network.

However... Hallelujah they've moved into the 21st century. We at last get our Xserve in a couple of months time.

Anyone remember the shadowy figure with the umbrella, that walked across the blue frame through the rain, in the QuickTime movies folder in HyperStudio 2.0 ?

Or how about the Cuban street saxophonist in the white hat and floral shirt that played a blocky few seconds of music as the camera did a jerky zoom out in the same program?

I thought they were marvellous!
Northern Soul - Keep the Faith!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 07:14 PM

Ha Ha!

Did you run that through a translator for the French, German, and Japanese?

The German literally translates to "You must close your opening. Fetch your upper and lower lips together [are to the note] (very awkward, even in German), and hold them, like so."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Ha Ha!

Did you run that through a translator for the French, German, and Japanese?

The German literally translates to "You must close your opening. Fetch your upper and lower lips together [are to the note] (very awkward, even in German), and hold them, like so."
I tried to translate the French myself, so any mistakes there are my fault. I don't know a word of German, so I had to use Sherlock for that. Same with the Japanese, although the Japanese text, instead of being a translation of the crash message, says something more to the effect of "Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I don't know Japanese so I had to use machine translation."

At least, I think it does...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 08:55 PM

The program you're looking for is called DockDetox, I think. Try searching for that.
Thanks for the tip I had never even heard of this app.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by mudzilla:
if you were running 9 on your Powerbook it must be fairly old... ergo it might just need a new battery
Last generation TiBook, while not the newest thing out there, not exactly old either. I'd believe you except that I can reboot into OS 9 right now, put it to sleep for the weekend and come back with no appreciable battery drain. Same thing in OS X (same computer, same battery) will leave me with about 40% power left.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i was thinking about all the practical joke extensions (my ex-girlfriend did not find it funny)
one that moved the cursor away from where you clicked.

this still exists in OSX. it's called 'finder column view' - although now the icon moves away from the cursor instead!

personally i miss the nail-biting uncertainty with the old classic 'force quit' ...

...and on a more sensible note, why did they ever get rid of balloon help for the simple one or two sentence explanations? - so i don't have to wait a couple of f**king ice-ages for 'help centre' to open, just to find out what a single button or preference option is for

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 11:35 AM

The last picture in the post above shows precisely one of the things of the Mac I miss the most. Look how crisp Geneva looks in that balloon as oppossed to the text in OS X. And how the fake Chicago text of the first picture composed in OS X has all the spacings messed up.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 12:14 PM

I remember the old Apple ][ cassette "Appletalker".......that allowed Apple ][ to speak!

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 01:25 PM

The last picture in the post above shows precisely one of the things of the Mac I miss the most. Look how crisp Geneva looks in that balloon as oppossed to the text in OS X. And how the fake Chicago text of the first picture composed in OS X has all the spacings messed up.
Hopefully they'll get all that right when they finish with the 2D acceleration. OS X does has it's issues with spacing though... man!

Forum Links
Forum Rules