Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook vs. 12" iBook (My Needs & My Wants)

12" Powerbook vs. 12" iBook (My Needs & My Wants)
J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 10:32 PM

Wow...it's been a long time since I've been here. I went to the dark side and now I want to come back to the light.

Here is what I will be definitely be using it for...

-Writing, writing, writing (I write short stories and just began to write a screenplay)

-iPhoto. I love taking pictures.

-Safari. Web browsing.

-iTunes. I love music.

-Everything else...iChat, iCal, etc. Nothing big.

I might be using it for video editing. I will soon be attending Full Sail for Film, but I will have all the equipment at school, so I don't think I will be using my laptop for my school work. So, that's a might.

Here are my choices...

12" Powerbook
1.33 GHz G4
512mb RAM
60gb HD
Superdrive
$1689 (Edu Discount)

OR

12" iBook
1.2 GHz G4
512mb RAM
80gb HD
Combo Drive
Add Bluetooth
$1173 (Edu Discount)

I prefer the look, the feel, the elegance, and the keys of the Powerbook, but is it worth the extra $516?

For what I get with the two, is the speed bump that much drastic? Will the feel of the keyboard make that much of a difference? Everything else is pretty much the same. I already have a DVD burner for my Windows laptop now, so I don't NEED the Superdrive, but it would be nice to have internally. PB or iBook?

Thank you.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 10:35 PM

Unless you need the PowerBook's DVI, I say get the iBook.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 11:40 PM

iBook for sure.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 11:42 PM

Agreed.

The PowerBook's keyboard is definitely better than the iBook's but you'll get used to the iBook's. I absolutely love my iBook. It's my first mac.

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 01:57 AM

I had to make the same decision. The smaller footprint, sleeker design, better video-out capabilities and nicer keyboard of the Powerbook sealed the deal for me.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 02:09 AM

wait till tuesday before making a PowerBook decision

sposta update "Any Day Now"

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 04:27 AM

Buy 3rd party RAM from vendors such as Crucial.com and avoid paying apple's insanely priced RAM.

As mentioned, the powerbooks are likely to be updated any day now, so hold off for the update.

How important is a superdrive to you?

Though you may not do editing at home, wouldn't it be better if you could? Going to the labs can be a pain and inconvenient.

If you had to buy *right this second* there is no question that an ibook is a better deal. Wait for the pb update and then weigh your two options.

Here are a few of my observations as I have both machines right here (mine and my fiance's, though a few generations older the comparison should hold).

powerbook
-keyboard is *way* better
-seems "snappier"
-DVI out (if you want to attach a nice lcd this is a nice feature)
-compatible with core image in tiger (useful for eye candy, image, and video editing).
-build quality

ibook
-better battery life (4.5hrs versus my pb's 3.5)
-less fragile
-runs cooler
-fan noise much less

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2005, 06:12 AM

Sworthy's list pretty much says it all, except that some iBook owners also report slightly better AirPort reception than on the PB.

I had the 1 gig iBook until a few months ago, when I sold it and got the 12" Powerbook, so I've had both. At the time, I was able to sell my iBook for what I paid for it, AND, thanks to a sale (and the fact that at the time, AirPort cards weren't bundled with the iBooks), the price difference between the two was only $200. For that, I got DVI out, a larger hard drive (60 vs. 30 gb), the slightly faster chip, and the much better PB keyboard. (but the iBook's isn't bad; you should try both out in person.)

Now that the price difference is around $500, as much as I love this Powerbook, I'd reluctantly go for the iBook -- much better value, and the performance difference is slight. I must admit that I love the DVI with my external display, and the keyboard, but not enough to pay $500 more for it or the other bonuses. (You're getting the larger HD in the iBook anyway.)

If you were really going to use it for video editing, I might go with the Powerbook, but probably a 15" model, with the higher resolution screen. Or get an external display.

However, this equation will likely change in the next few days when Apple probably will release new Powerbooks. I expect the 12" model will either be priced lower or have enough of a boost over the iBook to make it worth the price difference. So if you can wait a bit longer, you might get a better deal. Otherwise, I'd say get the iBook.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 07:12 AM

The iBook and PowerBook are so close in many categories, a decision like yours is hard. I have owned iBooks since the Clam Shell model. I have no complaints. I feel the recent iBooks are much improved over the previous models. I now own a PB 15' inch, and now advocate for the PB.
You are going to be typing a lot, and the keyboard on the new iBooks are much better than before. In my opinion the PB keyboards are the most comfortable I have typed on, on a laptop, and even some desktops. You may get better battery life with the iBook, and wireless performance.
I also type a lot of reports. The screen is much more crisp on the PB, and the keyboard is great. For long hours in front of the screen, and typing, the PB is better.
I believe it is a matter of opinion, as you have seen . Nothing against the iBook, but my vote is for the PB.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 11:04 AM

I on the onther hand would get the Powerbook. For the Superdrive option alone. I got the Powerbook witout a Superdrive now I wish I had it. I have wished that I had gotten the superdrive because I have found more uses for the DVD burner than I thought I would. Thank goodness I have one on my G4 tower at home.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

J_Anderton  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 02:37 PM

Damn, this is tough.

I don't plan on buying it this second. I'm going to wait anywhere from two weeks to two months. I am going to wait for the updates to the PB and see what they are.

I went to the Apple Store last weekend in Miami and that's what got me into this again. I played around with both the PB and iBook and I LOVE, absolutely LOVE the Powerbook.

I had the iBook G3 500 when it first came out. It was great. It just got too slow. Now, it's a much better computer. The keyboard is better and it's much faster.

With the Powerbook, I MIGHT use the DVI out when I bring my laptop to school and hook it up to one of the 23 inch and 30 inch Apple monitors. I MIGHT use the Powerbook for video editing.

That's the thing. I'm unsure if I'll be doing that or not.

Superdrive is kind of a must. Like I said, I already have an extrenal one, but to have one internally is a really nice feature.

So, the iBook isn't compatible with Core Image in Tiger??? Hmmmm...interesting.

How are the sound on both the Powerbook and iBook? Any difference between the two?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by J_Anderton:
How are the sound on both the Powerbook and iBook? Any difference between the two?
The PowerBook has a subwoofer [snicker]. I don't know about the iBook.

I usually use earplugs or an external stereo with my PB.

ricacu
Jan 27, 2005, 02:48 PM

sound on the powerbook may be better, but belive me they both suck, nothing better than a good pair of monitors or monitor headphones, but thats for me, my powerbook is for music mostly, so that'll give you an idea. I'll take the PB because of design, upgrade capability. 20 gigs are 20 gigs tho.
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

J_Anderton  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 07:06 AM

Which do you think is better as in improving overall performance?

512mb of RAM and 80gb 5400rpm HD

OR

768mb of RAM and 60gb 4200rpm HD

I have a 40gb HD on my laptop now and I'm doing well with it. 60gb would be nice. 80gb 5400rpm would be even nicer, but does the 5400rpm make a difference in overall performance with the system in Pather/Tiger?

Will 768mb make a big difference against 512mb in Panther/Tiger?

ricacu
Jan 28, 2005, 02:45 PM

ill take the 512/80

and i think ull notice difference from 512 to 1gb.
15" 1.5Ghz AlBook | supr. drive | M-Audio e49 .

J_Anderton  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by ricacu:
ill take the 512/80

and i think ull notice difference from 512 to 1gb.
Thank you. It will be a lot easier to upgrade the RAM, then the hard drive later on, you know?

I went to CompUSA today and played with both the PB and iBook...huge difference, IMO.

I type a lot and there is a major difference with the two keyboards. Just typing and typing and typing on the Powerbook felt so damn good. Probably one of the best keyboards I've typed on. I went to the iBook...ugh. It felt too...cheap. Went back to the PB and it felt brilliant. I'm really leaning towards the 12" Powerbook now.

Have any of you guys used or are using the Apple Credit Account???

J_Anderton  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 10:41 AM

Quick question...

For basic stuff (Safari, iTunes, iChat, Mail, iCal, iPhoto) for now, will 512mb run smooth enough in Panther?

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 11:19 AM

Quick question...

For basic stuff (Safari, iTunes, iChat, Mail, iCal, iPhoto) for now, will 512mb run smooth enough in Panther?
Quick answer: Yes!
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 1, 2005, 12:33 PM

I prefer the PowerBook. Reasons

J_Anderton  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 01:24 PM

Thank you and thank you.

I've definitely decided on the Powerbook over the iBook with this new update. For $300 more, you seriously can't beat it.

I WAS thinking about getting a 15", but I think I'm going to get the 12" because of the size. I have a 15" widescreen Windows laptop now. I love the screen, but I honestly prefer the 12"...the compact size is perfect for my needs.

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Now, do I get the superdrive or combo? Hmmm...I'll have to figure that one out myself. Keep my external DVD burner and get the comob or sell the external and go for the Superdrive? Hmmm...nothing to stress over. I just can't wait to come back to the Macs.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 1, 2005, 01:28 PM

For what it's worth (with PatchBurn just to install the drive's profile for OS X), iDVD '05 works just fine with my external Firewire DVD burner. iDVD '05 also supports disc images natively.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 01:30 PM

I've definitely decided on the Powerbook over the iBook with this new update. For $300 more, you seriously can't beat it.
Well it's your money, but I'm glad that you joined the club.

Forum Links
Forum Rules