Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 CPU Upgrade

iMac G4 CPU Upgrade
Nezu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 05:21 AM

Hiya, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I have an 800mhz G4 flat pannel iMac. I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the CPU? I've looked all over the net but haven't been able to find any upgrades for G4 imacs. I was told Other World Computing was a good place to look but they have nothing in the way of G4 processor upgrades. Any help would be much appreciated!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 01:19 PM

The CPU is soldered to the logic board. You will never have a CPU upgrade option.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
The CPU is soldered to the logic board. You will never have a CPU upgrade option.
That's not entirely true, the original iMacs have cpu upgrades. However, I agree it's unlikely.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 03:23 PM

Krypton--which flat-panel iMacs had processors that were not soldered on?

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
IIRC there was a company that would de-solder the G3 processor on an iMac DV and solder on a new (faster) one. I don't remember specifics about it, but I think it was financially, well, stupid.

So I guess theoretically you could do the same with an iMac G4, however not at this point in time�

EDIT: The orginal iMac had its CPU on a daughterboard so was easily upgraded.

mubach
Jan 31, 2005, 02:26 AM

I know the iMacs G5s just came out, but is the CPU soldered onto the mobo as well? Is there any hope for upgrades with my new imac after a year or so etc?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
None of them - the original CRT iMacs are the ones you can buy upgrades for (you send your motherboard away, and they send you back a new one with a G4 on it).

P
Jan 31, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by mubach:
I know the iMacs G5s just came out, but is the CPU soldered onto the mobo as well? Is there any hope for upgrades with my new imac after a year or so etc?
I think it is. I'll remember to check when I open it up next time, but they usually are these days.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 01:12 PM

The tray and slot loading iMacs had the CPU on a daughtercard. Direct upgrades are available.

The iMac G4 is soldered. While it is possible to send someone your mobo, have them desolder the CPU and install a faster one, no one is doing it.

It might be because there is no pin-for-pin CPU faster than 1.25GHz or that no one is stupid enough to try.

The easiest way to upgrade is to sell and buy new.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Feb 3, 2005 at 09:18 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

P
Feb 3, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
The tray and slot loading iMacs had the CPU on a daughtercard. Direct upgrades area vailable.
The slot-loader also had the CPU soldered on. The CPU upgrade requires you to send in the mobo for them to replace the CPU.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 4, 2005, 11:07 AM

Argh. The only imac you could ever upgrade was the 1st generation imacs (233-333mhz G3s). Their CPUs were on small daughtercard which could be replaced with an aftermarket unit.

All imacs since then have had the CPU soldered directly to the board.

- Ca$h

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 02:44 PM

Pulling the logic board out of an iMac G4 is a very different procedure from pulling it out of a slot-load iMac G3. I don't imagine any sane company is going to request customers remove the logic board from these machines and ship them off.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 6, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Pulling the logic board out of an iMac G4 is a very different procedure from pulling it out of a slot-load iMac G3. I don't imagine any sane company is going to request customers remove the logic board from these machines and ship them off.
You mean motherboard?

Forum Links
Forum Rules