Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For those of you who use Windows too...

For those of you who use Windows too...
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 09:33 AM

I'm just finishing up an article on my website called hardening windows: www.tyler.mcadams.com

If you use windows and want to secure your system(s) it might be worth a read.

For those of you who don't use windows, you should take a look to see just how ridiculous it really is to run winows safely

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 09:33 AM

Sound on a web site at work is bad.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 3, 2005, 10:09 AM

Holy shit - my eyes! No offense - but if you'd like people to actually read the content on your site you might want to think about using a color scheme that doesn't burn through their eyeballs in less than 3 secs.

I'm certain the article's quite interesting but I definitely can't read that - sunglasses are in the car and I'm too lazy to get them.

Paging Kilbey ... you got a pair of welding goggles handy?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:25 AM

I think I can see the top of your head!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:46 AM

we need a hurl emo
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:51 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ME EYES!
ME EYES!
ME EYES!
ME EYES!
ME EYES!
ME EYES!
ME EYES!
ME EYES!

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:02 AM

Lol you guys must all be on macs. The gamma's a little brighter on the Apple side of things. It's meant for a pc. oh well. Be sure to stop by your local eye doctor and send me the bill.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 3, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
Lol you guys must all be on macs. The gamma's a little brighter on the Apple side of things. It's meant for a pc. oh well. Be sure to stop by your local eye doctor and send me the bill.
Bzzzzzt.

OS X + XP SP2 here ...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:11 AM

Dude, any way you slice it, RED text should never be on a BLACK background. BLUE text should never be on a BLACK background. AUDIO files should NOT play when you load a web page.

Unless, of course, you're trying to be l33t.

Trust me (us) -- this has NOTHING to do with gamma.

Check this out, please.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 3, 2005, 11:20 AM

Suggested quick fix™:
1. Cmd-I
2. Shift-Cmd-U

to turn this ...

into this ...

While one could argue over the use of frames and whether or not one likes the general design approach, there's not much to argue when talking about legibility. And red on black - hotdamn - is not easy to read. Ever.

Which reminds me ... Kilbey! ... what's up with them goggles?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Dude, any way you slice it, RED text should never be on a BLACK background. BLUE text should never be on a BLACK background. AUDIO files should NOT play when you load a web page.

Unless, of course, you're trying to be l33t.

Trust me (us) -- this has NOTHING to do with gamma.

Check this out, please.
He's right, you know. you should use red times on a royal blue background for maximum legibility, unless you have access to flashing GIF technology.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
He's right, you know. you should use red times on a royal blue background for maximum legibility, unless you have access to flashing GIF technology.
Cripes, that's right -- I forgot to mention that. Thanks for clearing that up! That would be something like htis, eh?

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:36 AM

I could make it a new CSS style and give you the choice between white and black? Sound better?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 3, 2005, 12:57 PM

I could make it a new CSS style and give you the choice between white and black? Sound better?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 01:19 PM

That site looks like it was made by some hardcore PC programmer along with the stupid sound a webcam of a door.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 02:18 PM

gabocorp used to be cool, back in the late 90's. they had some amazing flash back then.

then the 2+ year wait for the new version, and finally the new version left me very unimpressed.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
That site looks like it was made by some hardcore PC programmer along with the stupid sound a webcam of a door.
Well I guess you got me... I *am* a stupid PC programmer. I also work for IBM and the color scheme is about our hardware.

But back to point of my post which really has not even been commented on.... it's information on how to secure your PC if you have one. Sorry i burned everybody's eyes out in the process.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 11:28 PM

My eyes were bad to start with so no harm done.

As to the content of your web site most of that stuff I know all ready and had done. I have been around windows long enough to know better.

Now all I have to do is convince my wife to use a mac.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:02 AM

Why don't you move your head?

Anyway. The site isn't horribly ugly, it's just the old way of doing things for a personal site. Frames are out now, simplicity is in. For example, reading your article, I didn't want to have to watch your head and door, I opened the frame in another window to escape that. The link to blkviper.com, it's a good site for services, helpful...it's blackviper.com now though.

The article isn't bad, gets a little general at the end but that's OK. The bad thing is that you don't mention the downsides to any of the tweaks, and security changes do often have them. For example, configuring to kill the swap file, that's good, but it adds to shutdown time....also, this can be done in the group policy editor (run->mmc.exe->group policy snap-in), which organises the security configuration into a central spot. I'd also suggest mentioning other firewalls since the Windows one is easily bypassed I'm told (at least for local applications), Sygate is great, most of the others break my installatons, so hey. Spybot S&D has tools that do other things you mention, like the TeaTimer automatic registry scanner (it's like AdWatch).

I was thinking of disabling POSIX on my last install....it was just an additional thing in the system, Windows' POSIX is sorta useless (gets them into government though), but I wasn't sure if anything like Unix Services for Windows would just suddenly die.

Not a bad intro, but there are lots of other things you'd need to mention to be complete. I'd suggest labling it as a more basic "hardening" of Windows.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks for all the advice... this article along with 2 others, for now: "Introduction to OS X" and "Hardening OS X" will be available online at www.audtimypc.com soon.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 11:34 AM

Well I guess you got me... I *am* a stupid PC programmer. I also work for IBM and the color scheme is about our hardware.

I'm looking at a new-style IBM server right now and there's no red on it. No white on it either (it's a silvery grey). Except for the country flags on the support numbers sticker on the top of it.

But back to point of my post which really has not even been commented on.... it's information on how to secure your PC if you have one. Sorry i burned everybody's eyes out in the process.
Of course, I find that the best way to secure one's Windows PC is to unplug it, put it in a skip, liberally sprinkle it with gasoline and set light to it.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Of course, I find that the best way to secure one's Windows PC is to unplug it, put it in a skip, liberally sprinkle it with gasoline and set light to it.

The only other use I've found for them is to gut them and shove a 7200 into the case. Well, that; and they help me keep my day job...so that's good.

Maury

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 4, 2005, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice... this article along with 2 others, for now: "Introduction to OS X" and "Hardening OS X" will be available online at www.audtimypc.com soon.
Brief thought - somewhere in your article you mention that people should use Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy. I'm not sure that's good advice - in my experience (as well as during tests in a recent Ars article) - either tools catches malware the other doesn't. And neither of them is able to get rid of certain CW variants.

Especially if you're cleaning a box for someone else (as in you don't know or control their online habits), it's a good idea to provide and/or use a more complete toolset - HijackThis for diagnosis, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D and CWShredder for removal as well as Spyware Blaster to block potential crap sources. Then there's also the always useful Toolbar Cop to rid yourself of pesky browser helper objects.

As far as privacy is concerned, I'd also mention XP Anti-Spy so folks can control when and where XP talks to Microsoft's servers - a lot easier than rummaging around in that monstrosity they call the registry.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:

I'm looking at a new-style IBM server right now and there's no red on it. No white on it either (it's a silvery grey). Except for the country flags on the support numbers sticker on the top of it.
I'm not talking about the smaller boxes... the pSeries to the Z/OS boxes are mostly black with a metallic red stripe that runs down the front of them... older boxes looked similar with a flat red stripe.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 08:48 PM

I'm just finishing up an article on my website called hardening windows: www.tyler.mcadams.com

For those of you who don't use windows, you should take a look to see just how ridiculous it really is to run winows safely
You owe me two eyeballs.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 09:33 PM

You owe me one eyeball...

I read the posts/warnings/health hazards, hesitated and looked at it anyway.

With both eyes covered.

Until I dared peek with my now gone right eye.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 09:54 PM

Yeah, you've really got to do something about that design.

The color scheme is terrible, and Times New Roman *screams* generic template.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
You owe me one eyeball...

I read the posts/warnings/health hazards, hesitated and looked at it anyway.

With both eyes covered.

Until I dared peek with my now gone right eye.
You had how many people burn there eye's out and you still looked? I'm sorry, I don't think I can honor that one

lewd0006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:59 PM

Oww. Quick, who wants me to point my webcam at my g/f in the bath?!
Fight for Innovation.

cultofmac.blogspot.com

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 11:01 PM

You had how many people burn there eye's out and you still looked? I'm sorry, I don't think I can honor that one
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Yeah, you've really got to do something about that design.

The color scheme is terrible, and Times New Roman *screams* generic template.
Will do... lucky for everybody I just got my Macromedia MX suite in! I plan on redoing everything now. All template suggestions are welcome.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 5, 2005, 04:21 AM

pointers:
  • this is rather old and some of the links are dead - but still a resource worth studying: "textism"
  • some of the designs are crap, some are the bomb - inspiration at the "css zen garden"
  • always worth a peek: "a list apart"

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
Why don't you move your head?

I was thinking of disabling POSIX on my last install....it was just an additional thing in the system, Windows' POSIX is sorta useless (gets them into government though), but I wasn't sure if anything like Unix Services for Windows would just suddenly die.
Unix Services for Windows uses it's own unix subsytem called "intrex". It does not rely on the windows posix subsystem. I love SFU and use if for stuff like a free ssh for XP (Which is badly needed)

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
pointers:
  • this is rather old and some of the links are dead - but still a resource worth studying: "textism"
  • some of the designs are crap, some are the bomb - inspiration at the "css zen garden"
  • always worth a peek: "a list apart"
The minimalist links are interesting. Less is more

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 08:47 AM

i hate assholes that put sound on sites that auto start it just woke up every one...
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 08:53 AM

Oh and nice job taking other peoples work, and kinda calling it your own and not crediting the real authors.

Example from your site

1. Swap file. Normal Windows operation can leave unencrypted text (including passwords) on your machine, in files you would never think to look in... but a hacker might. The first thing to do is to set your machine to clear the system paging file (swap file) at shutdown. Go to the Start menu and click on Run, type regedit, and click on OK. Go to:
and from MacSlash http://macslash.org/comments.pl?sid=4659&cid=76853

Swap file. Normal Windows operation can leave unencrypted text (including passwords) on your machine, in files you would never think to look in�but a hacker might. The first thing to do is to set your machine to clear the system paging file (swap file) at shutdown. Go to the Start menu and click on Run, type regedit, and click on OK. Go to

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 5, 2005, 08:56 AM

athens = grouchy

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
athens = grouchy

been really sick for 3 days and that stupid sound on his site woke every one up cuz the mute button on my mac has a late 30 second responce time. Yes I R grouchy

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
Oh and nice job taking other peoples work, and kinda calling it your own and not crediting the real authors.

Example from your site

and from MacSlash http://macslash.org/comments.pl?sid=4659&cid=76853
That's me dumb-ass... I'm Thaidog. It's actually Tha1D0g. If you were a hacker you might know me.

Thanks soooo much for making my 666th post here that much more meaningful
( Last edited by Tyre MacAdmin; Feb 5, 2005 at 10:05 AM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 09:56 AM

is this you too?

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:F...ight.%22&hl=en

I googled it so it would be highlighted cuz that site is a mess too.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 10:02 AM

is this you too?

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:F...ight.%22&hl=en

I googled it so it would be highlighted cuz that site is a mess too.
I originally wrote that about 4 years ago... right after windows 2000 came out. If it's exact wording then somebody snagged it from me... I don't see a date on it but then again I don't really care. It's common sense and could be written any number of ways. As you just pointed out, I have given that information out on more than one occasion.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 10:30 AM

I originally wrote that about 4 years ago... right after windows 2000 came out. If it's exact wording then somebody snagged it from me... I don't see a date on it but then again I don't really care. It's common sense and could be written any number of ways. As you just pointed out, I have given that information out on more than one occasion.
So you write for PC Magazine? Because thats where I first read that article about a year ago. I still might have the issue since I never throw anything out. Reason I remmeber it is because I was going to make my own slightly modifid version of it

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 10:58 AM

Yes, I have written excerpts that have been quoted in PC Magazine... along with MacWorld. I don't remember submitting that however. It does not mean that it did not happen though. If it was a magazine from a year ago then yes. I too subscribe to PC Magazine. I'll have to look that up.

Like I said this piece is going to be put together for the www.auditmypc.com website. If this is indeed somebody elses work at PC Magazine, I'll have to word it differently.. after all it has been 4 years since I or whoever wrote that because I'm looking at the date of the document now.. time to make a phone call.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 11:01 AM

Yes, I have written excerpts that have been quoted in PC Magazine... along with MacWorld. I don't remember submitting that however. It does not mean that it did not happen though. If it was a magazine from a year ago then yes. I too subscribe to PC Magazine. I'll have to look that up.

Like I said this piece is going to be put together for the www.auditmypc.com website. If this is indeed somebody elses work at PC Magazine, I'll have to word it differently.. after all it has been 4 years since I or whoever wrote that because I'm looking at the date of the document now.. time to make a phone call.

Then I appolgize

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 11:06 AM

Well, we seem to have provoked some benificial change to your CSS, I see.

I'm amazed that you've managed to sit so still these last three days, though.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 09:57 PM

t you've managed to sit so still these last three days, though.
If you're refeerring to the crtitism, I find even the bad can bring out some good. After all the new fonts now match the flash font's and the CSS style sheets are coming along... if anything thanks!

And Athens don't sweat it... maybe I should take the THX sound out of the flash... after all that *was* stolen. (It's actually the intro to Dr. Dre's Conric 2000... that was stolen from the THX sound... which makes me feel ok about stealing it from him )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2005, 10:51 PM

If you're refeerring to the crtitism, I find even the bad can bring out some good. After all the new fonts now match the flash font's and the CSS style sheets are coming along... if anything thanks!

And Athens don't sweat it... maybe I should take the THX sound out of the flash... after all that *was* stolen. (It's actually the intro to Dr. Dre's Conric 2000... that was stolen from the THX sound... which makes me feel ok about stealing it from him )
Just make a warning page or a option to have sound free, I have a 800Mhz iMac and I had dreamweaver, Photoshop, Firefox, thunderbird, Excel and MSN open at the same time and when it loaded I couldnt get the computer to mute fast enough and the volume was set high, was rather nasty cuz every one woke up.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 01:45 AM

Just make a warning page or a option to have sound free, I have a 800Mhz iMac and I had dreamweaver, Photoshop, Firefox, thunderbird, Excel and MSN open at the same time and when it loaded I couldnt get the computer to mute fast enough and the volume was set high, was rather nasty cuz every one woke up.
That's one of the thing's I juat can't live with on OS X right now.. it should not take 30 seconds for a response. Even if you have 10 applications open.

I'll probably just take the file out all together. So what do you think of my friend's page "smanders"... the link at the bottum of the page... should I get him to change his site around as well?

Forum Links
Forum Rules