Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I burn an iTunes playlist to a disc using a burner on a different machine?

Can I burn an iTunes playlist to a disc using a burner on a different machine?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2005, 10:04 AM

for some reason, it wouldn't accept the text of the entry, so let me try that again.

I have a network of 2 powerbooks and a G4 tower. the tower has all our itunes music on an internal drove, but I would like to burn an mp3 cd of a playlist. The tower doesn't have a burner, but both the powerbooks do.

I installed toast 6 onto all the machines, but when I try and burn from itunes, it tells me there is no burn software installed.

If I open toast I can tell it the ip address of one of the powerbooks but it doesn't seem to see the drive.

Anything you can suggest?

The powerbooks are a rev A 12" and a 1gigahertz Tibook. The server is a G4 450.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 10:17 AM

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller!
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 12:06 PM

Ok:

(1) you don't need toast to burn from iTunes - iTunes burns all by itself.

(2) to burn a playlist with music on another machine, you should probably:

-put the tower in target disk mode
-connect it to one of the powerbooks
-copy the iTunes library file from the tower to the same spot on the powerbook
-open iTunes
-click on the playlist, click burn
cpac

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 04:52 PM

cpac, thanks for the reply. I knew that itunes would burn on it's own, but as my server doesn't have a burner built in, itunes doesn't recognise that there's a burner. I thought having toast might allow it to burn across the network, which toast can do.

I was looking to see if there was an easy way to burn to another drive on the network, without copying the itunes library. My library has over 60Gb of music in it. My powerbook hd is only 60Gb total, so I can't copy the whole thing over.

I guess I'll have to manually copy over the tracks from the playlist to the powerbook and then burn using toast as a regular mp3 cd.

cheers,

J.

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
cpac, thanks for the reply. I knew that itunes would burn on it's own, but as my server doesn't have a burner built in, itunes doesn't recognise that there's a burner. I thought having toast might allow it to burn across the network, which toast can do.

I was looking to see if there was an easy way to burn to another drive on the network, without copying the itunes library. My library has over 60Gb of music in it. My powerbook hd is only 60Gb total, so I can't copy the whole thing over.

I guess I'll have to manually copy over the tracks from the playlist to the powerbook and then burn using toast as a regular mp3 cd.

cheers,

J.
You don't even have to do that much - you can use iTunes on the powerbook to refer to the songs on a remote server (this is what I do with my 40GB of songs and only 20GB of hard disk space on my TiBook.

What I was suggesting would even keep your playlists intact and make this as painless as possible...
cpac

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 10:35 PM

I do something like that already. I can use Itunes on my powerbook to play the music from the server, I just see the server library automagically and it streams to the book.

If I select a playlist from the server though, there is no burn option, it stays greyed out. I'm looking for a way to just burn an mp3 disc of a particular playlist.

thanks for the help so far.

J.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 11:45 PM

I do something like that already. I can use Itunes on my powerbook to play the music from the server, I just see the server library automagically and it streams to the book.

If I select a playlist from the server though, there is no burn option, it stays greyed out. I'm looking for a way to just burn an mp3 disc of a particular playlist.

thanks for the help so far.

J.

meem
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 02:26 PM

you cant burn because you are using the sharing feature of itunes. this the same reason you cant edit ratings. or anything because itunes doesnt let you take control of others libraries like that (in your case the towers).

What cpac was suggesting was mounting the towers drive with the music files on whatever PB you are using and going to itunes advanced prefs and changing the muisc location to the mounted drive. you then have to import all that music into itunes of the PB. which wont copy the music anywhere since the Music location in prefs is the same thing. then make playlist to match the ones on the tower if those are the ones you want.

or you can make a symbolic link to the Library file on the tower in the PB itunes folder replacing it's own with the link and doing the same as above with the music folder location. This way you will fave full control of the Itunes Library files and music. since they are now sharing essentialy the same library file.

for a little more explanation look at my post about doing it http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=244125 My reasons are different than yours but it should work. Note I dont know what would happen if more than one person tries to edit the library at the same time. so cpacs suggestion is probably best though a sthere is less chance of messing things up.
( Last edited by meem; Feb 5, 2005 at 02:38 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules