Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBOOK Typing Speed issue, PLEASE HELP!

IBOOK Typing Speed issue, PLEASE HELP!
JDubb108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 06:36 AM

I just brought a ibook 14 in g4 and I notice everytime I type in my url/address bar on safari it is VERY slow. The reaction speed is way off, very slow to react to my typing. It would happen on another msgboard I use too. everytime, I type there, it would react very slow. It is still a stock system with 256 ram. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?Thanks.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 10:32 AM

Try download Firefox, Camino, or Mozilla Suite. I personally find the original Mozilla compatible with the most websites, but it's your choice.

Safari is known for its lag when Flash or other plug-ins are loaded on the page. This is probably the problem, so don't worry about it. Have you updated to 10.3.8 yet? According to many people, and me, Safari is a wee bit faster in 10.3.8. I'd estimate scrolling in Safari to be about 10-20% faster.

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 04:15 PM

Thanks....

I just brought the ibook yesterday, so I think I have the latest safari? if not, where do I dl it? sorry for the neb questions, Im looking to drop a 512 stick of crucial ram in soon. Any other recommendations for ram besides crucial?

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 04:52 PM

To check if you have 10.3.8, go to Apple menu>software update.
Here are some links to some browsers:
Firefox - http://www.mozilla.org/
Camino (my favorite) - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/
Omniweb - http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/
Mozilla - http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

For RAM, crucial is said to be the best, but i got a 1gb stick of Kingmax from Newegg for $189 and it's great.

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 04:57 PM

^ mahalo..

I really like using Safari too, i hope the update fixes my problem...

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 05:47 PM

the update won't fix your problem.

Just get more ram. Problem solved.

Meanwhile, I'd use Camino. It's the fastest - at least I think so.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 08:06 PM

Definitely get some RAM. Even if it doesn't change this particular problem you are having, the performance boot will be more than worth it.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll get the ram soon. Also, Im hearing when OSX tiger comes out, the new Safari will have this lag problem fixed.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by JDubb108:
Thanks....

I just brought the ibook yesterday, so I think I have the latest safari? if not, where do I dl it? sorry for the neb questions, Im looking to drop a 512 stick of crucial ram in soon. Any other recommendations for ram besides crucial?
They don't come with all of the updates installed. This depends entirely upon when the stock drive image was created, which could have been several months ago.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 10:13 PM

^ Im now used 10.3.8, and its a little better. Im hearing that when OSX tiger comes out, the new safari will fix this lag issue. Hopefully, it does. I'll getting the ram soon. Also, Apple collects no spyware or adware right, so it wouldnt be slow because of that? Ill just DL firefox for now, hopefully that will be okay until I install a stick of ram. Thanks a lot.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2005, 10:31 PM

Since it's brand new, you might try a reinstall before you get all your stuff setup on it.
12.1" Powerbook G4

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 03:50 AM

^ Im now used 10.3.8, and its a little better. Im hearing that when OSX tiger comes out, the new safari will fix this lag issue. Hopefully, it does. I'll getting the ram soon. Also, Apple collects no spyware or adware right, so it wouldnt be slow because of that? Ill just DL firefox for now, hopefully that will be okay until I install a stick of ram. Thanks a lot.
Something must be strange with your installation - I don't experience any significant typing lag in the address bar of Safari on my iBook, and it's only a 466. Nor have I ever experienced lag of that type on any Mac I have used. You may well experience lag typing up posts on this forum in Safari, until you turn off the smilies.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 04:05 AM

^ How do fix the installation problem? Im gonna call Applecare tomorrow.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 04:15 AM

You either have a hardware problem or a software problem. It would help to know the history of this iBook - is it new or used? You've got a fresh machine with very little installed, right? If you want to ensure that it's not a software problem, you can backup the data you wish to save, startup with the OS X installation disc (or Software Restore, whichever you have), and then choose to initialize/format and install. I don't know what the exact wording in the Installer is, but it should be fairly obvious. By doing this you will lose everything you have installed and come out with a fresh installation of the OS, so make sure that you have backed up what you want to save. If, after doing that, you are still experiencing the lag, either you're the fastest typist in the world or its a hardware problem. If it's a hardware problem, the first thing to do is pull any additional RAM that you have installed. Good luck; let us know what happens.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JDubb108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 04:34 AM

^ Thanks, maybe I'll try that. Actually, Im not experience quite as much lag on my address bar anymore, just when I type in msgboards with animated gifs. Like smiley. This forum is actually fine. I heard thats a common problem on Safari, lagging when a site has animated gifs. Is that true? Also, cant be a hardware problem because I have even placed any new hardware on it. The computer is completely stock from the store.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 10:48 AM

Oh yeah that is the problem. Safari is terrible with animated gifs. All other pages should be fine.
12.1" Powerbook G4

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 09:43 PM

^ Thanks, maybe I'll try that. Actually, Im not experience quite as much lag on my address bar anymore, just when I type in msgboards with animated gifs. Like smiley. This forum is actually fine. I heard thats a common problem on Safari, lagging when a site has animated gifs. Is that true? Also, cant be a hardware problem because I have even placed any new hardware on it. The computer is completely stock from the store.
Well, that is an entirely different matter indeed - previously you did specify the address bar. To fix the forum Post field lag, click the User Center link and then click on the Edit Options link. At the bottom of that page you'll see this preference:

Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?
Enabling this option allows you to quickly manipulate different aspects of your posts including color, font, and size. In addition you can click on smilies to have them inserted into your posts. You may disable this option if it causes problems for you.

Click on no and then click the Submit Modifications button. You now will no longer have a lag issue, but you also will not have Instant Smilies nor Instant vB Code. Get used to the link code and you'll be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules