Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Has anyone run ACID Pro 4 via Virtual PC?

Has anyone run ACID Pro 4 via Virtual PC?
antiglobal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 12:05 AM

I am getting my first Mac soon (see this thread for the lowdown), and naturally there will be a bit of a "get used to it" curve for me, especially when it comes to replacing the apps I'm used to running under Windows.

The only real program I use in Windows that has me concerned though is ACID Pro 4. I'm no music professional or anything, but I have many ACID Pro project files with specific VSTi, FX and at times 20+ tracks that I've been told I cannot be imported into Soundtrack or other similar programs, so I need to have it available.

That being said, I was curious as to whether or not anyone has used ACID Pro under Virtual PC and how it performed. I am aware that it will be significantly slower, but I wanted to gauge whether or not I should invest in VPC or not.

Thanks for your patience with a Mac "n00b."

lenox
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 12:58 PM

I doubt it'd run acceptably at all. In fact, I'd put money on it.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 04:13 PM

Yes, I've run it. It is painfully slow, even with the most simple of tracks. Don't expect to really be able to use it, not even on a G5.

Sorry
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

antiglobal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 05:43 PM

Man. I figured.

The likelihood of Logic or Soundtrack ever being able to import project files is just as grim.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 11:49 PM

Garageband or Logic may not be able to import the project files, but they should be able to handle the source files you used to make the project. Granted, you'd have to redo the project, but it would just be arranging tracks like you had them before, instead of composing the song from scratch.

antiglobal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Garageband or Logic may not be able to import the project files, but they should be able to handle the source files you used to make the project. Granted, you'd have to redo the project, but it would just be arranging tracks like you had them before, instead of composing the song from scratch.
True, but there are volume envelopes, FX tracks, etc., which would make it quite time-consuming. But, it seems it's my only recourse besides keeping a PC around.

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 02:09 AM

I've done it, using VPC and Win2000. It's noticeably slower than running it in Windows, but it's useable if you really need it. I understand about importing your project files, but I highly doubt such support will ever be added to Logic or similar apps.

It's tough work, but I bit the bullet and began redoing all of my music projects in Logic Express one at a time; the don't all sound the same and some of my FX envelopes are gone, but at least the ACIDized loops work just fine. I have 160 GB of loops and samples on an external drive, most of which are ACIDized, so that's a huge relief.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 06:15 AM

This is probably pretty obvious, but just mix down what you can, and bring things over as "destroyed" as possible yet still giving you the flexibility you need. Export your midi tracks, mix down your fx tracks, since you won't likely have the same effects, then re-export with the effects off.

I'm sure if you really try, you'll find an acceptable transfer solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules