Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > nVidia GeForce Go 6 Series for Powerbooks?

nVidia GeForce Go 6 Series for Powerbooks?
gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 06:46 PM

Reading through the tech specs for nVidia's GeForce Go 6 series I noticed that Mac OS X is listed under the Operating Systems.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/gfgo6_techspecs.html

One interesting spec to note is that this series supports PCI Express x16. Does nVidia know something about the next line of Powerbooks that we don't?
MacBook Pro

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Reading through the tech specs for nVidia's GeForce Go 6 series I noticed that Mac OS X is listed under the Operating Systems.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/gfgo6_techspecs.html

One interesting spec to note is that this series supports PCI Express x16. Does nVidia know something about the next line of Powerbooks that we don't?
It also mentions linux, doesn't mean there will be a new linux system on the way. It just means that it will support all OS's should the companies decide to use the chip. Stop speculating. Just buy what's available if you are in the market.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

gbafan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
It also mentions linux, doesn't mean there will be a new linux system on the way. It just means that it will support all OS's should the companies decide to use the chip. Stop speculating. Just buy what's available if you are in the market.
Huh?

I'd like to point out that I just bought a new Powerbook over the weekend, but alas, that won't help you chill out.

As for the Linux comment, no, it means it will support Linux just as the new cards will support Mac OS X.

Spelling it out for you would entail that hopefully Apple will use these to roll out PCI Express across the Powerbook line. But instead you chose to attempt and flame me for "speculating". Hrm.
MacBook Pro

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 08:50 PM

Huh?

I'd like to point out that I just bought a new Powerbook over the weekend, but alas, that won't help you chill out.

As for the Linux comment, no, it means it will support Linux just as the new cards will support Mac OS X.

Spelling it out for you would entail that hopefully Apple will use these to roll out PCI Express across the Powerbook line. But instead you chose to attempt and flame me for "speculating". Hrm.
gbfan, "you need to chill out". I was mearly answering your posting, I made the linux comment to say that just because nVidia posts a new card on their sight stating that it supports OSX doesn't mean that Apple's next generation Powerbooks will have this card stuck in them.
The posting means that it will support "all OS's".
I mentioned about you speculating because new Powerbooks were released under a month ago (which of course you have one) and you are already producing the design for the next revisions.

Does nVidia know something about the next line of Powerbooks that we don't?

I do believe this was part of your posting was it not?
( Last edited by hldan; Feb 16, 2005 at 08:55 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 09:06 PM

If you look at all of NVIDIA's product pages (GF2MX and later), they will list Mac OS X as a supported operating system. That means the hardware support is present, but the software support is another story. For instance, the 5700 series supports Mac OS X, but it never saw the light of day on the Mac. In any case, I would rather see the 9800 Mobility in future iterations of the PowerBook, which has 8 pixel pipelines (double that of the 9700 Mobility) and shares some technology with the R420 chipset.

Also, you can ignore gbafan's tone. I've learned that he gets hostile quite quickly if you don't see exactly eye to eye with him.

gbafan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by gizzard:

Also, you can ignore gbafan's tone. I've learned that he gets hostile quite quickly if you don't see exactly eye to eye with him.
LOL. Wow... You are a sad little man.

BTW - Why would you rather see old technology instead of the X700 that ATI has announced as a mobile chipset. Don't answer that, I already know.
MacBook Pro

gbafan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
gbfan, "you need to chill out". I was mearly answering your posting, I made the linux comment to say that just because nVidia posts a new card on their sight stating that it supports OSX doesn't mean that Apple's next generation Powerbooks will have this card stuck in them.
The posting means that it will support "all OS's".
I mentioned about you speculating because new Powerbooks were released under a month ago (which of course you have one) and you are already producing the design for the next revisions.

Does nVidia know something about the next line of Powerbooks that we don't?

I do believe this was part of your posting was it not?
Well, if you didn't come off as an I would not have posted my reply.

Stop speculating. Just buy what's available if you are in the market.
I was merely pointing out that nVidia lists Mac OS X on their product page. ATI's X700 does not at the moment.

Guess a guy can't dream about having PCI Express in a Powerbook without getting flamed. As for gizzard, he's still bitter.
MacBook Pro

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 01:45 AM

Well, if you didn't come off as an I would not have posted my reply.

I was merely pointing out that nVidia lists Mac OS X on their product page. ATI's X700 does not at the moment.

Guess a guy can't dream about having PCI Express in a Powerbook without getting flamed. As for gizzard, he's still bitter.
For a senior member on this forum you have the hostility of a virgin member trying to fit in. Your resulting to censored name calling just shows that you are sensitive and are acting very childish. I should have realized why no one had replied to your posting before me. I usually take time before replying but when I saw that nobody bothered (because of obvious reasons) I tried to help you.
At this time I know your user name and I will do the same as others that know you on this forum and ignore any requested help needed from you.
Good lucky buddy, U Take Care.....
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 01:52 AM

Wish mods would lock this thread. It's the most immature one I've seen in a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules