Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is my G4's hard drive out of space?

Is my G4's hard drive out of space?
dockpipe
Feb 17, 2005, 02:33 PM

I just tried to burn a cd and when the menu for naming my untitled cd popped up i went to try to burn it and this is what i got:
error code -34...
"burning the disc cannot proceed because the startup disc is full."

could it be that i only have 923 mb's left on my hard drive?

if so what's my next logical solution? buy a fire wire drive and move over all my pro tools files?
thanks.
a mac head.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 05:21 PM

Make sure that when you burn discs the cached disc image is deleted from your hard drive. You may have a few on your drive still that need to be cleared away.

And yes, since your Mac is using part of your drive as virtual memory at all times, it does sound likely that you are out of usable disk space. Time to clear out your drive, or add another one.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2005, 05:39 PM

Do you just have one hard drive? I think the G4s take 4 drives, so just buy a 250gb drive to put all your Pro Tools stuff on.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

dockpipe  (op)
Feb 18, 2005, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by willab:
Do you just have one hard drive? I think the G4s take 4 drives, so just buy a 250gb drive to put all your Pro Tools stuff on.
yes. i'm pretty sure i only have one hard drive but i sometimes wish i only had a g1 or a quasar....

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 03:06 AM

you really need to not put pro tools files on your start up drive, that will really detract from your system performance
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules