Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Radiohead. Do you have to be high to appreciate them?

Radiohead. Do you have to be high to appreciate them? (Page 2)
Cipher13
Feb 19, 2005, 02:06 AM

I like Radiohead, but I don't think they're the most amazing thing ever. They're a good listen every now and then.

Some song suggestions from somebody who wouldn't go out of their way to see them live:

Just
My Iron Lung
Karma Police
No Surprises
Exit Music
Blow (with Porthishead?)
Black Star
Paranoid Android
Creep

All the "popular" ones really, I guess. I can't remember all of them (not on my comp right now), but there are more. Try those for a start I guess. They're all catchy.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 06:39 AM

Avoid Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief at all costs.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Avoid Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief at all costs.
What a stupid post.

It all depends on how willing you are to *listen* to the music, as opposed to just turning it on and sitting in the same room. If you'll actually listen to it, and don't think of it as a "Britney Spears" type of braindead formulaic pop album, I think you can't help but be intrigued by Kid A, Amnesiac, OK Computer, or Bj�rk's Med�lla, or any other "challenging" music out there for that matter.

Its challenging, because it requires work, not because its no good.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
What a stupid post.

It all depends on how willing you are to *listen* to the music, as opposed to just turning it on and sitting in the same room. If you'll actually listen to it, and don't think of it as a "Britney Spears" type of braindead formulaic pop album, I think you can't help but be intrigued by Kid A, Amnesiac, OK Computer, or Bj�rk's Med�lla, or any other "challenging" music out there for that matter.

Its challenging, because it requires work, not because its no good.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Some song suggestions from somebody who wouldn't go out of their way to see them live:
Blow (with Porthishead?)
Radiohead AND Portishead together?!? I've never heard of this song, and I have a pretty large collection of Radiohead B-Sides and "Lost Treasures" as well as all of their released stuff.

Are you mistaken on the name or do you want to send it on over

Edit - I have the song Blow Out (from Pablo Honey), but it doesn't sound like Portishead is in it.
( Last edited by Steve; Feb 19, 2005 at 08:40 PM. )

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 11:27 PM

I remember a few years ago my friend popped in a Radiohead CD in my car and I was like, "WTF is this?"

Then, I remember watching Vanilla Sky and hearing "Everything in its right place" in the beginning and I was like, "Hmmmm...I like that."

I bought Kid A and said, "What did I just buy?"

I'm the type to give CDs and films a second and third shot. I started to listen to it over and over and after about the third or fourth spin, I was hooked.

OK Computer came along right after and the same thing happened. I wasn't feeling it at first, but after about a week straight of listening to it non-stop, I fell in love. They then became one of my favorite bands and OK Computer became one of my favorite albums.

You MUST give Radiohead a few listens to appreciate them. They're not the type of band where you instantly fall in love...it takes a while to appreciate them and if you don't fall in love by then, you won't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules