Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Registering" Filetypes?

"Registering" Filetypes?
mubach
Feb 24, 2005, 05:31 PM

I have a lot of .CRW (canon raw [image]) files, and although I've managed to make it open with photoshop by default I've still not found an easy way to have osx assign it an icon (automatically). Usually what I do is copy and paste my selected icon into each individual .crw icon well....but that takes a long time, especially when I have around 50 or so every download.

Is there any terminal command or any other method (apart from folder actions) that can make osx "register" or "recognize" the .crw extension so that it automatically applies an icon to it? I've tried using Candybar, but there seems to be no "add file extension" option.

Thanks in advanced.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by mubach:
I have a lot of .CRW (canon raw [image]) files, and although I've managed to make it open with photoshop by default I've still not found an easy way to have osx assign it an icon (automatically). Usually what I do is copy and paste my selected icon into each individual .crw icon well....but that takes a long time, especially when I have around 50 or so every download.

Is there any terminal command or any other method (apart from folder actions) that can make osx "register" or "recognize" the .crw extension so that it automatically applies an icon to it? I've tried using Candybar, but there seems to be no "add file extension" option.

Thanks in advanced.
When you assign .CRW files to Photoshop, the Mac will use the icon Photoshop provides for .CRW files. It looks like Photoshop provides no .CRW icon at all, that's why no icon is displayed. You can quite easily patch Photoshop to include such an icon, if you desire.

mubach  (op)
Feb 24, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
You can quite easily patch Photoshop to include such an icon, if you desire.
How could I do that? I looked in the Photoshop CS package, went to resources and saw a couple of icns files, made my desiered .crw file, labeled it PS_CRWIcon.icns, then logged in and out, but still the icon didnt take into effect.

Sorry for the repeated questions,but its much easier to identify the file if theres an icon on it ;D

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 05:55 PM

You also need to edit Photoshop's Info.plist

CFBundleDocumentTypes->[The entry for .crw]->CFBundleTypeIconFile [Name of .icns file here]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 05:57 PM

You'll need an icon-making tool to make the icon. Apple's Xcode Tools include a tool that will transform any QuickTime-compatible image into an icon, so you might want to use that. Just make sure the file name matches up with the name given in the Info.plist and it should work.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mubach  (op)
Feb 24, 2005, 06:26 PM

this is what I have so far, and still doesnt work, tried variants on this, but nope, I am not really code friendly ;D

<dict>
<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
<string>.CRW</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
<string>Viewer</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
<string>PS_CRWIcon.icns</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
<array>
<string>****</string>
</array>
<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
<array>
<string>*</string>
</array>
</dict>

any clues on what went wrong?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 06:45 PM

How did you make the icon file?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mubach  (op)
Feb 24, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
How did you make the icon file?
someone else did, and it has all proper states 128-16 etc etc, and its in .icns format

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by mubach:
this is what I have so far, and still doesnt work, tried variants on this, but nope, I am not really code friendly ;D

<dict>
<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
<string>.CRW</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
<string>Viewer</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
<string>PS_CRWIcon.icns</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
<array>
<string>****</string>
</array>
<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
<array>
<string>*</string>
</array>
</dict>

any clues on what went wrong?
Well an CFBundleTypeExtensions should be crw (since that's the filename extension for that type) and the CFBundleTypeName may be something human readable like "Canon Raw Image". Also Photoshop is probably an Editor for that type not just a viewer. (Though the last two points shouldn't matter for the icon).

When you edit the entry for * that's the wild-card for any extension so not the correct one for assigning an icon to a particular one.

After the change log out or reboot and if that doesn't help try making a copy of Photoshop and if that doesn't help try deleting the LaunchServices cache.

mubach  (op)
Feb 24, 2005, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys, but after doing all of the suggested actions, I still couldn't manage to get it to work. Copied photoshop, deleted launchsrevices cache, rebooted, etc...but to no avail. I really appreciate the attempts though...so thanks to those that helped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules