Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Memory Upgrade for a Power Mac 8600

Memory Upgrade for a Power Mac 8600
Phil Hodgkiss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 05:48 PM

Hi,

I have just started working with 300mb + files and my Mac is not able to deal with the size - I have a total of 224 MB memory in clusters of 2x16, 32 + 64. I want to maximise by swapping the 16 & 32 boards with 64 to give me a max of 512MB.

Can anyone reccomend a UK based online/retail outlet? Mac Warehouse is drawing blanks.

Also (sorry) does anyone know whether I can download a postscript printer software without actually buying a printer? I only need to create PDFs in PageMaker but will never need to print the documents in that format.

Thanks
Phil

P
Feb 24, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Phil Hodgkiss:
Hi,

I have just started working with 300mb + files and my Mac is not able to deal with the size - I have a total of 224 MB memory in clusters of 2x16, 32 + 64. I want to maximise by swapping the 16 & 32 boards with 64 to give me a max of 512MB.

Can anyone reccomend a UK based online/retail outlet? Mac Warehouse is drawing blanks.

Also (sorry) does anyone know whether I can download a postscript printer software without actually buying a printer? I only need to create PDFs in PageMaker but will never need to print the documents in that format.

Thanks
Phil
Think long and hard if you want to spend any money upgrading a computer as old as that one. It may be very expensive, since those memory chips aren't made any more, and a Mac mini is way faster for a small amount of money. Of course, it doesn't run OS 9, if that's what you prefer.

Anyway, you can get any FPM or EDO 168 pin DIMMs. The Mac won't use the EDO feature, but it will work, and those chips used to be common on PCs. I don't know any retailers in the UK, but if you tell a PC dealer that you want EDO RAM, he'll know what you mean if he was around in the mid-nineties.

What OS are you using? The Mac OS comes with printer drivers for the Apple Laserwriter, which is a Postscript printer, as well as some utilities. Is that what you're looking for?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2005, 08:54 AM

You can still get RAM for a "G2" Mac, at least you can do so easily here in the States. It's cheap too. And since the 8600 has eight RAM slots, there is no need to take out previously installed modules, unless you want to match them to produce the small speed up from interleaving. I recommend FPM RAM because I remember Apple recommending it instead of EDO early on, but EDO is now recommended by many sources.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules