Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Apparently Bush has tried LSD...

Apparently Bush has tried LSD...
CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 08:48 AM

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D88IKD580.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Tapes of President Bush that were secretly recorded by an old friend and released to the media now are in the possession of the president's private attorney, the White House said Tuesday.

"It's a matter that we consider closed at this point," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Doug Wead allowed journalists to hear and broadcast the tapes as he promoted his new book on presidential parents. But he said last week he had regrets about that and was turning the tapes over to Bush and giving the proceeds from his book to charity.

On the tapes, recorded over the course of the two years before Bush became the Republican presidential nominee in 2000, Bush discusses strategy for his first presidential run and appears to acknowledge past drug use. He says he would refuse to answer questions about using LSD, cocaine and marijuana because "I don't want any kid doing what I tried to do 30 years ago."

"They are in private hands," McClellan said of the tapes. He declined any further comment.
Given my own chemistry experiments, I'd say this has justified my vote.

Let the flames begin.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2005, 09:05 AM

WHO FREAKIN' CARES???

Geez, as long as he's not dropping out in the Oval Office, who cares? I can see the hoopla over Clinton getting some extra-marital oral favors in the Oval Office as being a question of character.
But what is the big deal about something someone did years ago? Bush drank, he did some type of drugs. Many people have.

BTW: is your location a reference to a certain song by Tool? If so,

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
WHO FREAKIN' CARES???

Geez, as long as he's not dropping out in the Oval Office, who cares? I can see the hoopla over Clinton getting some extra-marital oral favors in the Oval Office as being a question of character.
But what is the big deal about something someone did years ago? Bush drank, he did some type of drugs. Many people have.

BTW: is your location a reference to a certain song by Tool? If so,
Oh, no, I'm not putting him down for it in the least.

And yes, it's a reference to a Tool song, but Bill Hicks thought of it first.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 09:40 AM

"...leaving nothing but a cool beautiful serenity called Arizona Bay"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
WHO FREAKIN' CARES???

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
blah
I think it's this kind of general apathy to this story that is more fascinating than the actual story itself.

As I heard someone else who read the story say "makes you wonder about whether or not he's really in control. people who have dropped acid typically aren't ones to start wars."

To which the reply was "born again christian. he'll take away anything that he feels gets in the way."

I think there is a real debate to be had here, only problem is most people who are willing to argue a side aren't really equipped due to no first hand experience with the drug, and I imagine very little experience with hallucinegenics. But I'm interested to see what this thread becomes, if anything.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 11:56 AM

That quote seems to be taken out of context. I heard the tape on TV and he seems to be referring to marijuana. I don't feel like looking up the transcript, but I don't remember having the impression he was talking about acid.

Not that it would matter to me, I still wouldn't vote for the schmuck.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
I think it's this kind of general apathy to this story that is more fascinating than the actual story itself.

As I heard someone else who read the story say "makes you wonder about whether or not he's really in control. people who have dropped acid typically aren't ones to start wars."

To which the reply was "born again christian. he'll take away anything that he feels gets in the way."

I think there is a real debate to be had here, only problem is most people who are willing to argue a side aren't really equipped due to no first hand experience with the drug, and I imagine very little experience with hallucinegenics. But I'm interested to see what this thread becomes, if anything.
Are you arguing that trying LSD changes someone permanently?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 12:57 PM

It certainly wouldn't surprise me, and it certainly would explain a lot of things.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 01:05 PM

Not generally, but it can. Though, I would imagine that such instances are rare.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 05:24 PM

Trying it generally doesn't, unless the person was in a shaky mental state already (what psychiatrists refer to as "borderline wacko" ).
Using large amounts of acid over a prolonged period of time can definitely screw up the mental processes, though. I know a couple of acid casualties like that.
Over the course of several years, I dropped acid about 100 -120 times, and also tried peyote, mescaline, psylocybin and shrooms on several occasions.
Never had a bad trip or a flashback.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

__^^__
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2005, 07:49 PM

Name one politician who has a perfectly clean background.

CD Hanks  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by __^^__:
Name one politician who has a perfectly clean background.
Stupid post, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "Colin Powell".

Forum Links
Forum Rules