Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Geforce 6800 DDL and 1.6 G5

Geforce 6800 DDL and 1.6 G5
jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 10:42 AM

I have a G5 1.6 (the bastard child of the Powermac line) and I want to get a 30" Cinema, for which I will need one of the dual link Geforce cards. Are there any known compatibility issues with the 1.6 and those video cards?

Oh, and yes I am planning on getting a faster G5 when the new ones come out (June?), so don't slam me for wanting to put the highest end monitor on the lowest end Powermac

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 11:50 AM

I don't think there should be a problem; all G5s have at least a 450W power supply, and the graphics bus is the same.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 03:15 PM

Great, just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 04:52 PM

You might also want to consider the ATI Radeon X800 which was recently released for the Mac. It also has a DVI-DDL connector to drive the 30-inch display and has performance similar to the Gf6800. ATI charges $499 for the card. It's also only a single-slot card, unlike the Gf6800 which takes up the space of two.

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 04:53 PM

The ATI X800 XT supports the 30" Cinema Display and is faster, cheaper and a lot smaller than the GeForce.

Edit: Power142 beat me by 1 minute.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 06:21 PM

I'm standing in the apple store right now, on the 30". For the video card, I don't care about performance. As long as it works with the monitor. I'll get whatever card works with it that is in stock.

jasonsRX7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 12:36 AM

I got it, and the Geforce 6800. Thanks for the X800 recommendation, but video performance isn't really something I care much about. The 6800 does work fine in my 1.6 G5.

I was thinking it was probably too big, and I don't really need anything this big... But the deciding factor was that of the five 23" Cinema displays they had set up, 4 of them had a pinkish hue. I didn't want to risk returning them over and over until I get a good one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules