Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 20" or 24" wide aspect?

Dell 20" or 24" wide aspect?
jyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 10:52 AM

Prices are back down this morning:

20" 2005fpw = $ 561.75 from the Home and Home office section
24" 2405fpw = $1079.10 fromt he Small business section

I'm coming from a 15" Apple Display purchased orginally with my Cube. I am now using a Rev A single 1.8 G5 and am desperately needing to update this display. I am totally torn between these two. I want the 24" but the 20" seems to be a better value.

Any opinions? Help me make this decision!
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17"
1.5 gig RAM, 120gig HD
1 gig iPod Shuffle, 10 gig 1st gen iPod
G4 Cube 450 1.5 gig RAM, 20 gig HD, 15" LCD

osxisfun
Mar 10, 2005, 11:19 AM

buy 2 20"s

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2005, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
buy 2 20"s
Or two standard aspect-ratio 20" for more vertical space (1200 pixels vs. 1050 pixels). My setup is here.

osxisfun
Mar 10, 2005, 02:18 PM

he could do that too.

i just like letterbox better. more buck rodgers in the 24th century

jyen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
he could do that too.

i just like letterbox better. more buck rodgers in the 24th century
Yes, yes. I could do two monitors, but I think if I'm going to do two 20's I'd rather have one continuous workspace of the 24". Wife is preaching to spend less and get more in 3-5 years for the same amount of money. But one could play that game forever... I guess I can't go wrong either way -- upgrading from a 15".

My primary apps are iPhoto, iTunes, and hopefully some Painter IX in the future. I'm a painter by vocation and am thinking about doing some digital work in the future.

The 20" would suffice I suppose, but I think my "gear envy" make me want to go for the 24". One way I could rationalize it, would be if I sold my Cube setup. Anyone interested?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 03:32 PM

Get one 20" and if you need more pixels, then get another 20".I really think that going from a 15" to a 20" widescreen will be enough, especially for your needs, but we all have tech envy.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 03:47 PM

You should check out the other thread Apple 30" vs. Dell 24". the last page has links to a couple of sites where people have been getting the 24" for $860 plus tax. I did it yesterday and it indeed worked.

I still am thinking about a 23" Cinema Display but I also am thinking about a Formac 20" to go with it if the 24" takes up too much desk space. The big advantage of having the Dell was the multiple inputs so i could connect my PC and games systems to the Dell and still use it as a second display.

Anyway. that price was super easy to get you just need to call the small business group and give them a business name.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

jyen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks to all who gave me feedback.

I went for the 24" Dell and am actually pretty psyched about it.

jyen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by southtdi:
You should check out the other thread Apple 30" vs. Dell 24". the last page has links to a couple of sites where people have been getting the 24" for $860 plus tax. I did it yesterday and it indeed worked.

I still am thinking about a 23" Cinema Display but I also am thinking about a Formac 20" to go with it if the 24" takes up too much desk space. The big advantage of having the Dell was the multiple inputs so i could connect my PC and games systems to the Dell and still use it as a second display.

Anyway. that price was super easy to get you just need to call the small business group and give them a business name.
I called Dell this morning and they said that this pricing does not exist and is a hoax. I called the SB unit. I also lfeft a message with the "Rio Rawat" rep that everyone on Fatwallet was talking about. I got a call back from another woman, not Rio, who claimed that the pricing was valid until Monday.

I am very confused, but my order is shipping already anyway. The reps this morning basically said if I could find documentation on their website referring to this price, that they could honor it, but no other way.
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17"
1.5 gig RAM, 120gig HD

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 05:53 PM

Interesting, the rep I got (not the original one I called) didn't even flinch about when i mentioned that price. Either they were not supposed to be selling at that price or the rep you got hasn't got a clue. The reps name I had was Parry (very strong accented indian women) who was hard to understand at times but got the job dome. My 24" were shipped and I even got free shipping.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

OldCodger73
Mar 11, 2005, 11:17 PM

A couple of quick questions on the Dell UltraSharp 2005. Is the power supply a brick? If so, is there any audio interference from the brick? The connector for the 2005 is listed as a DVI-D. Isn't the Mac a DVI-I? Does one need an adapter or a different cable to hook the 2005 to a G5?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
PM G5 Dual 2.5, 3.5GB RAM, 160GB & 250GB HDs, Formac 17" FPD, 20" Dell 2005FPW
TiBook 867 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Formac 20" FPD
PM G4 Dual 450; 1.25GB RAM, 30GB & 80 GB HDs

osxisfun
Mar 11, 2005, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
A couple of quick questions on the Dell UltraSharp 2005. Is the power supply a brick? If so, is there any audio interference from the brick? The connector for the 2005 is listed as a DVI-D. Isn't the Mac a DVI-I? Does one need an adapter or a different cable to hook the 2005 to a G5?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
no brick. power cable (normal type)

audio. nope.

dvi to the mac. no problems.

jyen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 10:45 AM

Just got the 24 last night and I have to say it is amazing. No dead pixels and simply beautiful. Coming from a 15" Apple Display, I am a little in real estate shock. I do not know what to do with so much space! Things could be worse.
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17"
1.5 gig RAM, 120gig HD

osxisfun
Mar 16, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by jyen:
Just got the 24 last night and I have to say it is amazing. No dead pixels and simply beautiful. Coming from a 15" Apple Display, I am a little in real estate shock. I do not know what to do with so much space! Things could be worse.
congrats. no just leave all your windows open all the time and enjoy...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2005, 03:50 PM

What do the backs of these Dell monitors look like?

My desk faces the opening of my office. Aestetics are important to me.
:-)

(Vein, I know)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

OldCodger73
Mar 16, 2005, 04:04 PM

<<What do the backs of these Dell monitors look like?>>

Here's a link for the 2005.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...=&refurbished=
PM G5 Dual 2.5, 3.5GB RAM, 160GB & 250GB HDs, Formac 17" FPD, 20" Dell 2005FPW
TiBook 867 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Formac 20" FPD
PM G4 Dual 450; 1.25GB RAM, 30GB & 80 GB HDs

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 04:15 PM

If aesthetics mean anything to you, the dell display might be out of the question, the stand is gaudy, the back of the screen is disgusting, and there's just a ton of cut corners as far as the design goes ... that's not to say the screen is a good one, and at the sub $1k range (If you call them and haggle them, you can get it for $900ish with shipping+tax), NOTHING comes close as a deal.

Point is, Dell's selling the screen -- apparently the stand and all that are pretty decent (I did here on the fatwallet thread that some people had problems with them shaking really easy), and the amount of inputs is insane, but whether or not having a back with tons of cooling vents and a giant DELL logo is worth it is questionable...

Maybe someone should let us have our cake and eat it too by making a case that covers up the ugly back of the display *grin* but I bet it'd cost a bit..

In the end, my mom ended up getting a 23" ADC display over that.. I'm sure it'll go good with whatever machine she gets Plus it wasn't a hell of a lot more than the dell one ($1400)
Aloha

osxisfun
Mar 16, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by driven:
What do the backs of these Dell monitors look like?

My desk faces the opening of my office. Aestetics are important to me.
:-)

(Vein, I know)
Fugly.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2005, 08:26 AM

It's a bummer that the ACDs have power bricks. Are there any other LCDs that look nicer than the Dell that don't have bricks?

Forum Links
Forum Rules