Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone have a Color LaserWriter 12/600

Anyone have a Color LaserWriter 12/600
The Wolfe
Mar 7, 2000, 04:49 AM

Does anyone here have a Color LaserWriter 12/600PS or 12/660PS they've been extreamly happy with? Extreamly displeased with? I'd like to hear the experiances most people have had with the machine, because I've been considering getting one.
Thanks!

------------------
-Eliott Wolfe

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2000, 01:57 PM

To summarize - a piece of junk.

It is great for printing text and pie charts. But if you want to print a color picture or a photograph, you better print it on an inkjet (Epson, HP).

I thought the problem was with the printer but it goes even further. HP Color LaserJet 4500 is the same way. I guess it is the "laser thing".

Our printer is a few years old and fixing it a pain because Apple is running out of some of the parts.

My advice to you - get an Epson 3000 if you need large-format printing. If not stick with Epson 1520 or 1200 depending on whether you need 4 or 6 colors.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 9, 2000, 01:05 PM

I'm a bit too familar with printing technology (friend has printing shop), and basically must echo most of what gene said. Color laser printers are decently fast (esp. on multiple copies of the same thing), but their color quality SUCKS! The one exception to this that I have seen is the Xerox DocuColor 40, but it is a 40ppm behemoth with a 5 digit price tag. Current ink jet printers have print quality better than most dye sublimation machines, and at a better price, the only downside is high ink costs and the fact that most ink jet ink is water soluble.

I personally also agree with gene on the printer brand: Epson. You just need to find an Epson that fits your needs.

tooki

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2000, 10:04 PM

I agree. My school has a Color LW 12/600 and while it works fine for most purposes, the photograph quality is not very good. Its color matching seems to be screwy, and the printer sometimes does color tests across each page for no apparent reason.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules