Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Desk/Cordless Phone Adapter for Cell Phones

Desk/Cordless Phone Adapter for Cell Phones
sideus
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 01:19 AM

Any device exist that will allow me to connect my desk phone or cordless phone base to a cell phone (via bluetooth or a wired connection)?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
Any device exist that will allow me to connect my desk phone or cordless phone base to a cell phone (via bluetooth or a wired connection)?
To do WHAT ?

-t

Fiend
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 01:06 PM

there are several devices that allow you to plug in your cell phone into a base and through wiring to your landline service in your house, put dial tone on all your landline phones in your house.

google, they are there. just saw two different companies at consumer electronic expo this year demo them. very cool.

here is one company: http://www.cellsocket.com/index.htm

just check your cell service in your home first. is it always reliable? if it is, then this is a good product. some places in my home, my cell doesn't get good signal. just put the base whre you have the best signal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2005, 01:10 PM

So he is talking about using his wireless service for calls with a regular (landline) phone ?

Despite the theoretical posibility, what is the exact cost- and feature benefit over using VoIP (like Vonage) ?

-t

Fiend
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
So he is talking about using his wireless service for calls with a regular (landline) phone ?

Despite the theoretical posibility, what is the exact cost- and feature benefit over using VoIP (like Vonage) ?

-t
yup, that is what i thought he wants to do. other than the device, it doesn't cost any more moeny then your cell phone service. you are already paying for that. it uses the same minutes/plans/etc cause it REALLY is your cell phone making the call. the benifit is a) you don't have to have your cell phone with you when you walk around your house and lose signal (leave the base where it has good signal). b) you can use a normal size handset that fits in your hand. c) most residents alreayd have several copper lines running from room to room with jacks so you aren't adding any more wire/cost.

Fiend
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 01:16 PM

and oh, obviously, not all cell phones work with all bases that make this work. have to find one that works with your cell phone, or buy a new cell phone that works with the base you want to buy. the one i linked above works only with motorola phones.

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 01:54 PM

That is what I'm looking for, except it would need to work with my SE phone. Thanks!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t
I like the idea of free nights and weekends from this as well as free in network calls. Also free long distance, caller ID, etc. Easy to set up if you move homes frequently.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 04:00 PM

Fiend
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
http://www.phonelabs.com/
glad you found one for SE. come to think about it, the only ones i have seen demoed were for motorola phones. but it lookes like the above link should work for SE and nokia, et al.

Forum Links
Forum Rules