Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 80GB vs 100GB Powerbook Drives

80GB vs 100GB Powerbook Drives
denis_carlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 07:04 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any performance differences between these 2 drives?
Noise levels?
Are they from the same manufacturer?

Thanks in advance
Denis (Imminent Switcher)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2005, 07:12 AM

Haven't heard many reports on the new HDs. Though Apple typically uses several different companies for its laptop hard drives.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2005, 08:18 AM

They're all very nice drives. Data transfer performance is the same, and they're both very quiet.

Chris

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2005, 08:18 AM

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by denis_carlin:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any performance differences between these 2 drives?
Noise levels?
Are they from the same manufacturer?

Thanks in advance
Denis (Imminent Switcher)
Since the mini also uses laptop drives, there are some interesting comparison benchmarks out there:

http://www.barefeats.com/mini01c.html

General rule of thumb: If money is no object, then get the most HD you can at the moment of purchase. Adding an HD later is a nighmare and will void your applecare if apple can determine that you've opened the case.

Keep in mind that external portable HDs are viable and affordable (though you may have to fly from Paris to NYC.) Dell has had the 100 GB 2.5" Seagate for $158, and cases can be $28 for fw-400 (adequate for most needs, excepting video?)

bobx2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 05:10 PM

both the drives are 520000rpm so the performace should be the same.

after looking at that mac mini HD test the maxtor laptop HDs seem to be the best.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by bobx2001:
both the drives are 5400rpm so the performace should be the same.

after looking at that mac mini HD test the maxtor laptop HDs seem to be the best.
Fixenated.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 17, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
Adding an HD later is a nighmare and will void your applecare if apple can determine that you've opened the case.
Not true. You only void AppleCare if you damage it while opening it.

tooki

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2005, 10:09 PM

The Pismo and Lombard models, the HD was a user servicable part.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Not true. You only void AppleCare if you damage it while opening it.

tooki
We may be saying the same thing, Tooki: obvious damage means you opened it, when there are no user serviceable parts inside. Lately, I'm under the impression that Apple is actively looking for ways to say that your laptop isn't covered under applecare, because of something you did.

But what about this example: You put in a 100 GB HD where Apple records show that it was a 60 GB, and there is no entry in the laptop service record that the HD was installed by an ASP. Would Apple say that since the HD was obviously user-installed that the applecare is void?

I know that Apple says that installing another HD in a Mac Mini is OK (that it doesn't void the warranty) but to my knowledge they've never said that about a laptop.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
But what about this example: You put in a 100 GB HD where Apple records show that it was a 60 GB, and there is no entry in the laptop service record that the HD was installed by an ASP. Would Apple say that since the HD was obviously user-installed that the applecare is void?
My experience may not be typical, but I had warranty service after I replaced a Powerbook drive. The machine wasn't in for the hard drive, though. If the hard drive had failed I'm sure they wouldn't have done anything.

Chris

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 09:32 AM

Does this mean I can replace my slow 4200rpm 30gb drive in my iBook to, say, a Hitachi 7200rpm without voiding the warranty? If I'm careful? Sound editing on this machine is really slow and I think the hard disk is the main problem.

I know I should have bought the right machine for the right task but it's too late now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules