Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Page 2)
BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2005, 02:57 PM

Who has the movie itself to download?

Errr.... I mean the extra extended preview.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 03:09 PM

i saw the trailer...

i am psyched now

yay

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
The last place you should check is www.starwars.com
So what was the point of the Torrent website BS?

I thought it was a different one or something.

Thanks.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 03:15 PM

Oops.

Slaveway
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2005, 04:24 PM

I just hope I can buy the movie on DVD while I'm vacationing in Vietnam.
Maybe I can get The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2005, 04:34 PM

So what if Palpy is Sidious or not anyway? Seriously...how surprised can we be at this point?

Windu dies
Amidala dies
Yoda lives
Obi-Wan lives
Anakin -> Vader
Threepio & Artoo - probably have memory wipes
Senator Organa (Jimmy Smits) - Adopts Leia

Nothing there we don't know. Anything ELSE I probably don't care about. I'm more interested in HOW it happens. We've known about the lava since '83.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by starman:
So what if Palpy is Sidious or not anyway? Seriously...how surprised can we be at this point?

Windu dies
Amidala dies
Yoda lives
Obi-Wan lives
Anakin -> Vader
Threepio & Artoo - probably have memory wipes
Senator Organa (Jimmy Smits) - Adopts Leia

Nothing there we don't know. Anything ELSE I probably don't care about. I'm more interested in HOW it happens. We've known about the lava since '83.

Mike
Windu gets killed by Anikan
Duku gets killed by Anikan

The thing I don't understand and I hope they follow through on is that Palp created the droid army so that he had an excuse to create a clone army and rise to power. Why he would waste 3 years of killing each other is beyond me though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 05:34 PM

Windu gets killed by Anakin
Dooku gets killed by Anakin
Shhhh!! No spoilers, please.

The thing I don't understand and I hope they follow through on is that Palp created the droid army so that he had an excuse to create a clone army and rise to power. Why he would waste 3 years of killing each other is beyond me though.
Well, the purpose of the droid army was to create the conflict over Naboo. That precipitated a crisis in the Senate during which Palpatine manipulated Amidala into proposing a measure of no-confidence in the incumbent Chancellor, Valorum, in Episode I: The Phantom Menace. With Valorum out of the way, Palpatine paved the way to his becoming Chancellor legitimately and later declaring himself Emperor.

The Clone Army was created for reaons that are less clear at this point. The precise interplay between Jedi Master Sifo Diyas, Darth Tyranus (Dooku), Jango Fett, and the Kaminoans is not completely understood; however, it's clear to me that Palpatine wanted his Clone Army to militarize the Republic and, through war, garner public support for increasingly militaristic and repressive measures. It made his ascent to the Emperorship a lot easier, I suspect.
( Last edited by selowitch; Mar 19, 2005 at 02:02 PM. )

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 05:38 PM

I agree. It's not so much about "What will happen?" as much as it is about "How will they choose to tell the story we all know did happen? What are the details?"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 06:14 PM

Watch the trailer.

The scene where Windu comes to arrest Palpy, Palpy whips out a lightsaber and all of a sudden becomes all hunched over like the Emperor. Not the stand-up-straight-and-tall person we saw a second earlier. In another shot, Sidious has the same robe on that Palpy had. Gee...hmmm....

Mike
Mike, please stop ignoring the crucial parts of the posts. BOOKS. The "original" story form the BOOKS. Screw the movie -- that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the BOOKS and how the Lucas may take another angle. BOOKS, Mike.

Lastly, never trust a trailer -- you never know what it's meant to do. Yes, the trailer could be plainly showing Lucas is NOT taking the path of the books. Or, it could just be that we don't know what's really happening until the we see it in the theater.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 06:26 PM

Isn't this what everyone wanted to hear!!!

"It's not like the old 'Star Wars,' " Lucas told theater owners at the ShoWest convention. "This one's a little bit more emotional. We like to describe it as 'Titanic' in space. It's a tearjerker."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Who has the movie itself to download?

Errr.... I mean the extra extended preview.
I've never used this thing outside the Feedback forum, but here goes:

namannik
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 03:02 AM

Just a guess:

Palpatine/Emperor = Anakin's father

It would make sense to me, as Lucas has talked about "symmetry" between the two trilogies. This isn't exactly symmetrical, in that Vader's relationship to Luke is revealed in the second film of the IV/V/VI trilogy, while my hypothesis would be revealed in the third film of the I/II/III trilogy. Nonetheless, it seems to be a possibility.

Amid this symmetry is a juxtaposition that adds a great deal of depth to the story as a whole. We would see Palpatine/Emperor succesfully seduce his son to the dark side, and then later see Anakin/Vader defeated in his attempt to do the same.

Conclude from this what you will, but notice that in the trailer, Palpatine says to Anakin, "I need your help, son."

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 19, 2005, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:
Is this really the great Jedi Knight who later defeats Darth Vader in Episode III?
1. This is a much older, wiser, powerful Obi, remember he is a master now.
2. We know Anakin is beaten, but how?

3P0 and R2 say that they were Obi-wans property but he doesn't remember them in Ep4.

R2 was obviously just saying that to get the message across. Obi even says "Funny I don't remember owning any droids"

Obi-one changes his story on vader in Ep 5.

That was explained in Ep 5 too

He also says when he met Anikan he was a great pilot (also bull).
What would you call a human winning a pod race?

MinM
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by namannik:
Just a guess:

Anakin's parentage has already been addressed. He is the chosen one, conceived by the Force itself. He has no father.

As for those in this thread who haven't caught onto Sidious=Palpatine yet, here (contains few spoilers beyond revealing that Sidious is Palpatine):

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by MinM:
Anakin's parentage has already been addressed. He is the chosen one, conceived by the Force itself. He has no father.

As for those in this thread who haven't caught onto Sidious=Palpatine yet, here (contains few spoilers beyond revealing that Sidious is Palpatine):
Ahem...

As I said...

Mike

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 19, 2005, 12:40 PM

OoOooh got more of dem pics?

MinM
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
OoOooh got more of dem pics?
I do. Here are some of the more revealing ones:

Anakin

Anakin's cyborg arm (just because it looks cool)

General Grievous

More Grievous

Bail Organa 1

Bail Organa 2

Padme 1

Padme 2

More Sidious

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 10:30 PM

OK, it's clear that Palpatine/Darth Sidious/the Emperor are all different identities of the same person, at least in the films (in the novels they apparently are said to be clones of a host of one mysterious fourth category or another).

What's interesting to me is, if I were a new member of the audience for Episodes I & II and the Episode III trailer, it might at this point seem to me that, contrary to the above, there are about four distinct physical beings: the kindly Chancellor Palpatine; the croaky-voiced hooded Darth Sidious of the holograms and the end of Episode II; the wild-eyed, pastey-white red-lightsaber-wielding quasimodo (no name yet), and finally the blue-hued Emperor of Episodes III, V, and VI: "Every single Jedi is now an enemy of the Republic ... I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader ... You ... like your father, are now ... mine!"

I think where I'm at on this is that these four personalities or permutations of this character will probably confuse a lot of people, at least perhaps until we see Episode III in theaters.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 06:08 AM

Amidala dies
Do you think so? In RotJ, Leia says she remembers her mother being beautiful but sad.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 06:38 AM

Nobody cares with whom a person sleeps.
you wouldn't be saying that if i was sleeping with natalie portman.

sminch

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Do you think so? In RotJ, Leia says she remembers her mother being beautiful but sad.
Yeah I remember that too.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
My money says they will screw that up by kiling Padm� off shortly after (or even before) childbirth in Episode III. The awkward dilemma for Lucas in writing the script was that it would feel strange for Padm�, who figures so strongly in the prequels, to die before Episode IV and not so much as merit a single mention until Episode VI. Lucas' penchant for definitively bringing each and every story arc to a neat conclusion will demand he (over)explain everything.

When pressed, Lucas will likely explain that Leia's impression of her mother is some sort of residual image conveyed through the Force or some interstellar baloney like that.

It seems Lucasfilm's consistency department is not as well staffed as Paramount's (the folks who do Star Trek).

One thing I don't like about the prequels is their tendency to make the universe seem smaller. Lucas seemingly cannot tolerate any lose ends whatsoever. There are thousands of worlds in the Republic but they send all of the Jedi and all of the Separatists to fight all at once on Geonosis. Everybody is related to everybody else. Dooku is suddenly revealed to be Qui-Gon Jinn's former master? Gimme a break.
( Last edited by selowitch; Mar 25, 2005 at 10:53 AM. )

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 09:35 AM

After the last 2 efforts, and indeed most of that trailer, I was determined to feign disinterest...

Then I saw the final shot of the 'Real' Darth Vader of my youth... guess they just got my money on the 19th :/

Dman you Lucas!

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 25, 2005, 08:33 AM

It seems Lucasfilm's consistency department is not as well staffed as Paramount's (the folks who do Star Trek).
You talking about when Spock died then came back to life because he did a mind whatever with one of the crue?

Give me a break.

Star Trek has had it's share of lemons as well.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You talking about when Spock died then came back to life because he did a mind whatever with one of the crue?

Give me a break.

Star Trek has had it's share of lemons as well.
You're not off base on this at all. All I'm saying is that Paramount is relatively better at it.

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2005, 12:58 PM

You guys should check out some of the dialogue posted over at milleniumfalcon.com. I wont post any of it here (just in case someone is anal about spoilers), but lets just say a middle schooler can write better dialogue than what I've seen. This movie is going to be inadvertently hilarious.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by theJoKell:
You guys should check out some of the dialogue posted over at milleniumfalcon.com. I wont post any of it here (just in case someone is anal about spoilers), but lets just say a middle schooler can write better dialogue than what I've seen. This movie is going to be inadvertently hilarious.
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to stay relatively unspoiled, though I'm failing at that somewhat. I do wish Irwin Kershner, who directed Episode V, could somehow have directed the prequels, too. He is the best Star Wars director without a doubt. Of course, the director doesn't write the script, but he or she sure does affect how the script comes across to the audience.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 02:33 PM

General Grievous

What's the history on Grievous? Does he have knowledge of the force or does he just steal lightsabers?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by AppleOptionFour:
What's the history on Grievous? Does he have knowledge of the force or does he just steal lightsabers?
I think he is not Force-Sensitive but rather computer-guided.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2005, 10:09 PM

Ok....

I'm having a hard time thinking this movie is going to suck in any way, shape, or form.

The novel's out, the graphic novel's out, pics have beeen leaked, as well as the soundtrack.

I predict that this movie is going to kick some serious ass, and redeem GL for the first film.

I'm not going to post spoilers, but let me say this - sometimes I wonder about GL. He creates the SH*T that was Episode I, and then churns out what I think will be one of the best SW movies ever made. We'll see.

Mike

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 10:47 PM

I'm not going to post spoilers, but let me say this - sometimes I wonder about GL. He creates the SH*T that was Episode I, and then churns out what I think will be one of the best SW movies ever made. We'll see.
I don't know why everybody seems to want to run down Episode I. I liked it and thought it was a legitmate and enjoyable piece of the Star Wars saga. Is it my favorite? No, Episode V is. But give The Phantom Menace its due!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 11:09 PM

I don't know why everybody seems to want to run down Episode I. I liked it and thought it was a legitmate and enjoyable piece of the Star Wars saga. Is it my favorite? No, Episode V is. But give The Phantom Menace its due!
It failed in the most important department of all: The script. It was not engaging, it had terrible dialogue and it did not convey any sense of adventure. And that's just the script. The old Star Wars-films had crappy acting, but this had crappy acting on top of a crappy script. When talking about apologists, Star Wars-fans trying to redeem the Phantom Menace is the worst.

And note that I didn't even bring up that "kooky" digital effects demo they tacked on there.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 11:15 PM

I don't know why everybody seems to want to run down Episode I.
Because it sucked. Hard.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
And note that I didn't even bring up that "kooky" digital effects demo they tacked on there.
Which part are you referring to?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by namannik:
Just a guess:

It would make sense to me, as Lucas has talked about "symmetry" between the two trilogies. This isn't exactly symmetrical, in that Vader's relationship to Luke is revealed in the second film of the IV/V/VI trilogy, while my hypothesis would be revealed in the third film of the I/II/III trilogy. Nonetheless, it seems to be a possibility.

Amid this symmetry is a juxtaposition that adds a great deal of depth to the story as a whole. We would see Palpatine/Emperor succesfully seduce his son to the dark side, and then later see Anakin/Vader defeated in his attempt to do the same.

Conclude from this what you will, but notice that in the trailer, Palpatine says to Anakin, "I need your help, son."
Maybe the lack of a father and need for a father figure made Anakin more susceptible to Palpatine's manipulation. In that case "son" would be a very choice word.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 09:25 AM

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 09:36 AM

yeah, saw some of those last week too. only a few more weeks!

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 11:16 AM

Neat. I particularly like the "Tragedy" one. This movie is going to be great!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 11:28 AM

I'm excited about it but I am looking more forward to Tiger

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 15, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by theJoKell
Because it sucked. Hard.
So did Episode 3, 4, and 5

Horrible acting, the script was so so..

But it was VERY entertaining.

And as long as I am enterained, It's not a waste of money.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
So did Episode 3, 4, and 5

Horrible acting, the script was so so..

But it was VERY entertaining.

And as long as I am enterained, It's not a waste of money.
so what you just said is that it does not suck

thanks

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by theJoKell
...lets just say a middle schooler can write better dialogue than what I've seen. This movie is going to be inadvertently hilarious.
Originally Posted by George Lucas
Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.
Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 15, 2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
so what you just said is that it does not suck

thanks
What I said is, if he thinks those suck, then the first 3 did as well.

See some people have this idea that the first three were somehow better.

But they aren't.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 02:40 PM

OH
MY
GOD

I just read a spoiler - something NOT expected in the third film.

I won't spoil it, and I'm not even sure if it's true yet, but something's supposed to happen which ties all the movies together. It puts a spin on the entire saga which I don't think anyone could have seen coming.

Mike

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by starman
It puts a spin on the entire saga which I don't think anyone could have seen coming.
Mike
Jar Jar is really the father of Luke?

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by starman

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 05:01 PM

So did Episode 5
Excuse me... when did ESB begin to suck

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 05:04 PM

But they aren't.
Uh... ANH and ESB are light years beyond the last two pieces of turned out by Mr. Lucas.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 05:05 PM

What I said is, if he thinks those suck, then the first 3 did as well.

But they aren't.
You see that. Zimphires opinion is the final word. Lets just lock the thread to get it over with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules