Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Damn icons are mocking me!!

Damn icons are mocking me!!
LlamaBoy
Mar 17, 2005, 07:15 PM

Why can't I get my icons to stay put and stay formatted?? I don't know how many times I have changed the view settings in my folders to "All Windows" with my formatting objects, and the icons happily arrange themselves, only to completely rearrange themselves later.

I have tried clearing out my caches, deleted the preference files for finder, logging out and/or rebooting with the icons in the correct place, AND THEY STILL DAMN MOVE!

Is this just me being stupid, or is this actually a problem others are having?

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed, I did a search on the forums and came up empty.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2005, 07:41 PM

i hate to break it to you, but they are mocking you - they regularly post in the gui forum, in fact, laughing at your feeble attempts to curb their evil powers. i suggest punishing them all by turning each and every one into the default icon for handbrake, the ugliest icon in the word.

mwaaaahaha!

sminch

ps - i'm sorry, i have nothing to contribute but am having a very slow day at work. carry on.

LlamaBoy  (op)
Mar 17, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by sminch:
i hate to break it to you, but they are mocking you - they regularly post in the gui forum, in fact, laughing at your feeble attempts to curb their evil powers. i suggest punishing them all by turning each and every one into the default icon for handbrake, the ugliest icon in the word.

mwaaaahaha!

sminch

ps - i'm sorry, i have nothing to contribute but am having a very slow day at work. carry on.
That absolutely cracked me up! It feels good to laugh after about three hours of sleep (not in a row) taking care of a vomiting newborn baby.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2005, 05:19 AM

happy to be of service

now, can anyone actually help this guy???

sminch

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by sminch:

mwaaaahaha!

I wish I had some advice for the original OP but they can at least feel good that your reply is damn funny!

Oh and the OP's thread title is awesome! Strikes me as funny as hell. The image of mocking icons is priceless!
( Last edited by msuper69; Mar 19, 2005 at 10:20 AM. )

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2005, 09:28 PM

Sorry to interrupt the humour with some seriousness.

The easiest way I've found to make icon settings stick is to do the following:
1: Open your window
2: Set the view as you like it
3: Close the window

If the Finder crashes before you logout/shitdown, then it appears your custom settings get lost in the ether. Another possible reason is that you don't have write access to the folder whose settings you're trying to change - folder view prefs are saved in the damned annoying ".DS_Store" file. If that file, or the folder in which it resides is read-only, you'll not be able to save view settigns.

If that doesn't work, delete the .DS_Store file (you'll proly need the Terminal for that) and try again.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

KidKit
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 11:00 PM

you all are a big bag of laughter

LlamaBoy: I'm not really understanding what you mean by "staying put" and "formatting"... are you assigning custom icons via the "Get info" screen, or were you talking about your finder "view options" and settings like showing item info, snap to grid etc?

Also, which folder's icons are you talking about? A folder in your home directory (ie. your desktop) or something lower in the tree? You might not have permission to set icons and finder settings to some folders (ie your applications directory) if you are working with a non-admin account. You can change the settings and the finder will "remember" your settings for the duration of your login, but if you logout or restart, the changes cannot saved because you don't have the write privileges. A solution in this case is simply to login as your admin account, set up whatever settings you want for those folders. You'll get the new settings the next time you log in as a normal user and open the folder.
mavafyipdq

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
[BIf the Finder crashes before you logout/shitdown...[/B]
As opposed to shitup? Good thing there's gravity.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
Don't mock gravity. You wouldn't be so happy if it got mad at you and decided not to help you any more.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
LOL, thanks for that! I must've been suffering from fat finger syndrome last night!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Forum Links
Forum Rules